Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 06:18 PM

491 posts, read 1,652,281 times

Advertisements

I own a 3 series and love driving it everytime I get in it. As long as it's still under warranty, then you won't have to worry about the maintenance, including the oil change. But, once the warranty expires and you can't do your own diy maintenance, it can get expensive.

I'm not sure if the Mustang requires premium gas, but the BMW requires it, and that can get expensive if your commute to work is long.

Again, not sure if the Mustang is rear wheel drive, but it looks like you're looking into the rear wheel drive 328 not AWD, and if the car you are looking into getting has the sport package, it will most likely have summer tires too. So, an added expense, specially if you live in an area where it snows often, is to install snow tires for the winter. Believe me, you do not want the oem summer tires in the snow and I tried the all season tires as well and all I can say is, I had no confidence with the car going up a small incline with an inch of snow on the ground. It is a night and day difference with the Bridgestone Blizzak snow tires.

Another thing to watch out for in the 3 series, is the window regulator, they have a history of breaking down past the 6 yr mark. I never had this problem in the Mercedes or the Honda for some reason. But, even with these issues, I still love driving the car. You'll love the smooth inline 6, specially if you have the manual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 06:27 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Personally I don't think you can go wrong with either choice. But they are different driving experiences. I had a 3 series a few years back. I loved that car. When I was recently looking for a new ride I did consider a sport/luxury car again. But in the end decided on muscle. I don't regret it for a second. I smile every time I start it up.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:32 PM

556 posts, read 1,228,244 times
No response to my suggestion? Looks aggressive, a blast to drive, gets 24+ mpg, most interior room of its class when it was being produced and can be had with low miles for ~$24k

Old 04-04-2012, 07:14 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,536,243 times
German cars have always been expensive to maintain even with a good waranty. Ford has stepped up it's game with the GT even more so with the 5.0. Domestic automakers had to step up or die off. You can get the V-6 which is very quick itself & get 31MPG. I see some others are telling you that the BMW is a better drivers car yet in the video posted below The BMW bearly beat the Mustang. I think the video goes to show you how far cars like the Mustang have come. Of course I don't see you taking either car to the track. If you do I wanna come! Don't get me wrong I think BOTH cars are great & would take either one if someone just handed me the title to one of them. I wouldn't complain either way. Personally I'd take the V-6 Mustang considering gas prices & insurance these days. IN the end the choice is yours alone. I don't think you could go wrong either way.

Super Coupes Track Attack! - 2011 Ford Mustang GT vs 2011 BMW M3 Coupe - YouTube

Old 04-04-2012, 09:55 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,893,349 times
The 2011+ Mustang GT has been compared to the BMW M3 in most magazine articles. It has the same performance numbers, straight line or on a track. But costs about half as much.

I'd go with a fully loaded Mustang GT.

If you have ~$45k, get a used 2009 CTS-V. That's a car to be seen in and drive clients around in!

For ~$30k, you can get a 2011 Ford Taurus SHO. Twin Turbo V6 (365HP) with AWD. With a tune, it's a mid 13 second car and 0-60 under 5 seconds.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:18 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,839,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Correct. A GT Premium is about the same cost as a BMW.

I also have to worry about the "look". A lot people tell me BMW is just so much more classy. :-(

Since I am not a young high school kid anymore and more a getting-old-working-professional, the "look" is sort of important too.

Actually true car aficionados appreciate all cars. We just give you **** as that is what guys do when comparing/competing. Most folks appreciate a quality piece of machinery. Whether it is a brutish American V8 or a smooth BMW engine. What is boring are the cowardly type who cave in and settle for something to fit in or make someone happy. You earn the pay. You are making the payments. Get what you want. It is a want as that Honda you have currently fits the need based on your description.

A used Mustang GT premium is a lot less than $40K and it runs on regular 87 octane.

Excellent tech on another forum who has experience with the full range of the better sort off vehicles says BMWs are the hell when the factory maint. program expires and you have to pay the BMW tax on servicing the vehicle. The key to longevity is in the servicing so it is a Catch-22.

To repeat an earlier unanswered question...Have you driven a Mustang 5.0?

Old 04-05-2012, 06:18 AM

556 posts, read 1,228,244 times

Just Sayin' lol.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:28 AM

3,135 posts, read 11,893,349 times
Also don't rule out a used Chrysler 300 or Charger SRT8 with 420HP. Interior isn't sharp but they are a very fun car to drive.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:11 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post

A used Mustang GT premium is a lot less than $40K and it runs on regular 87 octane.

Excellent tech on another forum who has experience with the full range of the better sort off vehicles says BMWs are the hell when the factory maint. program expires and you have to pay the BMW tax on servicing the vehicle. The key to longevity is in the servicing so it is a Catch-22.

To repeat an earlier unanswered question...Have you driven a Mustang 5.0?
So BMWs have a lot problems?

No, I haven't driven a 2012 version of Mustang GT. Been into other versions though. I am going to try it on Friday.

I have driven 328i. It so seems to be just a regular car with a little more power.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:18 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tappan Zee View Post
I own a 3 series and love driving it everytime I get in it. As long as it's still under warranty, then you won't have to worry about the maintenance, including the oil change. But, once the warranty expires and you can't do your own diy maintenance, it can get expensive.
Can you elaborate a little? By maintenance, you mean oil change, brake change and ...?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive