Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 08:01 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,119,365 times

Advertisements

I've heard of this before, but am very confused. Apparently you can have someone else's car towed, with absolutely no identification, and make some quick cash on it. Is the car towed to a scrapyard? The towing companies are normal towing companies as far as I know. I've heard of people getting in trouble for this lately, but have no clue exactly how it works. Can anyone explain?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 08:55 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,678,248 times
Do you have a link to something for this?

There are some pretty loose laws in some states, but I've never heard of a state in which it's legal to simply drag a car to the crusher without providing any sort of documentation or proof of identity. Some states don't require a title but require the car to be older than (x) years, and require the person to have a DMV salvage certificate. Others require personal ID but no title (again, old cars). These laws are getting tighter though, because some people were taking old cars for test drives right off a dealer's lot, then turning them in at the crusher for some quick cash.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:30 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,169,913 times
I know that tow companies are allowed to tow and impound cars without police present to validate the infraction. It happened to me ON CHRISTMAS DAY!! My car was towed from in front of my townhouse for some HOA violation, not an actual law, so that's how they got away with it. A quick $300 for the tow company with no legal recourse for me. They don't have to prove anything; just hook it up and off they go.

Mike

Old 04-05-2012, 03:06 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
This is how my car was stolen, from right in front of my house in broad daylight. My neighbors even watched it happen and didn't think anything of it since I've had so many issues with various cars over the years that it wasn't unusual to see one of my cars being towed yet again.

It's not unheard of for chop shops that do a high volume of "business" to have their own tow trucks. It's a lot less suspicious than a smash-and-hotwire.

Old 04-05-2012, 03:49 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,774,443 times
What Drover said is right on. Some car thieves use wrecker trucks to just pick a car up out of someones driveway and steal it, without anyone questioning if it's a legit tow job or some **** sucking scumbag thief looking to make a quick buck at someone elses expense.

So keep that in mind if you ever happen to see a high dollar collector car like a 67-69 Camaro, 64-70 Mustang, or any old school classic car or even a mid 80's Olds 442/Buick GN/Monte Carlo SS on the back of one of those crab style tow trucks especially if you do not see the chains not fastened down. It takes a few minutes for them to strap down the chains; time of essence to a thief, and an unchained car on the back of a truck is a red flag.

Also some of these cars are re-vinned and re-sold to outside the U.S.

Old 04-06-2012, 12:08 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,119,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
This is how my car was stolen, from right in front of my house in broad daylight. My neighbors even watched it happen and didn't think anything of it since I've had so many issues with various cars over the years that it wasn't unusual to see one of my cars being towed yet again.

It's not unheard of for chop shops that do a high volume of "business" to have their own tow trucks. It's a lot less suspicious than a smash-and-hotwire.
Interesting.

In the case I refer to, a woman - whom I'm very close to, and is now being accused of car theft (and has no criminal history whatsoever) - allegedly called it in. When the tow truck driver saw that it had collector plates, he thought it might be stolen and brought it back, and reported it to the police. She is despondent, and has a son who is a drug addict and has made a ton of bad decisions (including burglarizing the owner's household), but I just don't see the motive here.

Old 04-06-2012, 01:22 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,887,865 times
Yup, happens a lot.

Check out this 2005 Pontiac GTO being stolen by a tow truck. The owner had a camera pointed to it and it captured it all. Police found the car several days later on the side of a street, with all of the interior, engine/tranny, and other stuff removed. Total loss.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDXh_QLcuKg

Last edited by PokerMunkee; 04-06-2012 at 01:39 PM..

Old 04-06-2012, 03:00 PM

45,344 posts, read 60,522,810 times
It's been happening in this area for the last few years. The tow companies were in collusion with chop shops and "exporters". There were several arrests recently.

As to being towed for an HOA parking violation, it may not be a law but when you signed the CCR's (or rented from the landlord) you agreed to abide by them as a contractual matter.

Old 04-06-2012, 03:56 PM

3,046 posts, read 6,286,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
Yup, happens a lot.

Check out this 2005 Pontiac GTO being stolen by a tow truck. The owner had a camera pointed to it and it captured it all. Police found the car several days later on the side of a street, with all of the interior, engine/tranny, and other stuff removed. Total loss.

Stolen GTO video in Chicago - YouTube

cHECKOUT HIS NEWER VIDEO TOO OF WHAT THE CAR WAS WHEN HE WENT TO RECOVER IT IN TOW YARD!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZ02K...feature=relmfu

Old 04-06-2012, 07:01 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,496,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
I know that tow companies are allowed to tow and impound cars without police present to validate the infraction. It happened to me ON CHRISTMAS DAY!! My car was towed from in front of my townhouse for some HOA violation, not an actual law, so that's how they got away with it. A quick $300 for the tow company with no legal recourse for me. They don't have to prove anything; just hook it up and off they go.

Mike
Easy now.

In your case, just like with someone who gets repoed, I am pretty sure the po-po was alerted in the proper manner.

You needing to abide by the terms of your HOA bylaws, as already mentioned, is out of our hands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive