Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 07:16 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,685,123 times

Advertisements

Much better than the drivers in the city but still "fast" (I think many people think they can go fast since there is literally no car & almost always no one on that road) according to my old country slow poke ways... especially on our rural roads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 09:46 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,051,714 times
There's a few types in my area. There is a clash Where I live, it ranges from the slow older drivers to younger quick drivers who don't signal. While there is some road rage (mainly from transplants of the bordering state, I assume), drivers are usually more civil with yielding, merging, entering traffic or crossing intersections. Unfortunately, said drivers also seem to forget how to drive in the rain and/or snow. As you get closer to the nearest major city, traffic and turn signals become optional, yielding results when you force yourself through traffic, and drivers use the breakdown lane during rush hour.

Old 04-28-2012, 10:59 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,513,370 times
We really don't have road rage at all.
We do have problems with drivers being "too nice" and doing things like stopping on a a busy 2-lane to let a driver pull out from a side road.
Hawaii was rated as having the worst educated drivers in the nation. Knowledge of proper driving is low and I have driven extensively in about 45 states as a comparison.
Oh well, at least the weather is great.

Old 11-10-2012, 11:13 AM

13,630 posts, read 10,034,235 times
I’m going to have to say that it depends, a lot of the time, on what you yourself are driving.

Big 4x4, people keep out of your way, don’t tailgate, and generally respect you, and your space.

Little compact car, you have to keep your wits about you, you spend a lot of time avoiding stupid people, and have to keep an eye on the mirror.

Old 11-10-2012, 11:22 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,385,138 times
The drivers here in the Lehigh Valley of eastern PA are extremely aggressive.
There are large yellow painted signs every couple of miles on major routes and interstates warning people of aggressive drivers and road rage.

Allentown is 90 miles east of NYC so that contributes to the overall problem in a big way when it comes to having to take your life into your own hands.

Old 11-10-2012, 11:26 AM

21,867 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
After 16 years and well over a million miles at the wheel of big truck through all 48 states, I truly believe that most states have about an equal number of morons and people who truly know how to drive behind the wheel. Fair or not, I'll give a slight nod to Californians, who seem somewhat better with "Drive on the right, Pas on the left" than most other states.
Crap, we're better?

I guess it depends on the freeway. On I-5, most people actually do know how to drive. On 99, it's a whole different story. Sadly I'm on 99 a lot more than I-5.

Old 11-10-2012, 11:36 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,172,745 times
lol When my wife drives a plow truck to the store with a plow hanging off the front she says everyone gives her the right of way and lets her go first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
I’m going to have to say that it depends, a lot of the time, on what you yourself are driving.

Big 4x4, people keep out of your way, don’t tailgate, and generally respect you, and your space.

Little compact car, you have to keep your wits about you, you spend a lot of time avoiding stupid people, and have to keep an eye on the mirror.

Old 11-10-2012, 12:06 PM

1,306 posts, read 3,121,030 times
Depends on what part of the city I'm in. If it's the interstate cutting through downtown past the college campus, aggressive driving as long as traffic will allow it. If it's the N/NW portion of town, folks drive at or below the speed limit; pokey seems to be the general rule.

Old 11-10-2012, 01:02 PM

13,630 posts, read 10,034,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
lol When my wife drives a plow truck to the store with a plow hanging off the front she says everyone gives her the right of way and lets her go first.
I think that's a step up from a 4x4, maybe literally.

There is one exception to this behaviour; White Van Man, he, or she, has the IQ of a boiled potato, and has no fear.

Old 11-10-2012, 01:19 PM

12,540 posts, read 2,138,983 times
In Houston, drivers don't respect red lights. I can't believe how many people keep going on a red light. Plus, I've almost been hit twice by red light runners. And people turning at crossovers! They'll block a whole lane just cause they want to turn. Everyone seems so selfish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive