Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2012, 10:33 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,650,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
I do. I own a car and put gas in it. Roads taxes are collected on that. Registration fees too.

I've also purchased fuel in South Carolina. So I have supported your hobby.

Don't need your support, just a little more awareness/little less arrogance and hatred towards someone who is doing something that you don't understand.
That's great you earned the right to drive on the road.

Since you said bikers are willing to pay for their hobby.

I vote no road tax money goes to biking. I vote there is a biking on roads fee. You need to register your bikes, pay yearly fees that are used to cover the cost to make and maintain bike lanes on roads.

Sounds like win win! Cheaper gas, nicer roads, and bikers can pay for there own hobby and bike lanes like they said they don't mind paying for.

It is unfortunate for the people who cannot afford a car and are not a nuisance on the road when they commute.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Oh no? You've never been caught in traffic and motorcycles zip through the margins of the lanes? That's never happened? Motorcycles obey every traffic law, huh. I guess I've never seen one zip by me at 130 on the interstate, nor have I seen motorcyclists do wheelies and burnouts and generally create mayhem on the streets every Sunday here.
Are they impeding traffic? Nope, they are breaking the law, but they are not impeding traffic. They are *******s, but 2 *******s don't make a right.

Also no one says "I am bigger, then you mentaility" as people claimed with cyclists.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:31 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times
Quote:
"In my lane" - that's right, it's all yours.

Additionally, what if you had been behind this rider at the light, and he waited for it to turn green? You would have had to waited to pass anyway. What's the difference?
Yes, it was MY lane. I'm not allowed to go into a lane where there is a already a vehicle. Why should a cyclist be allowed to pass within inches of my car in the lane I am driving in?

Old 05-09-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trendytriping View Post
I like cycling very much . Actually it is a very good form of exercise .
I enjoy it too, I do it on a bike trail every now and then, and at a large partk with biking trails.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:
It doesn't matter. Even if cyclists stopped at every stop sign perfectly (as I'm sure all drivers do) and used arcane hand signals that nobody understands anyway, cyclists would still be derided universally. It's the bully mentality - i'm in a big car so I'm more important.
It has nothing to do with being bigger. It has to do with cyclists causing problems with traffic that inevitably is going to end up with accidents and people being killed. When there is a cyclist in one lane, all car traffic has to merge into the other lane to get around him. You have one bicycle (or a pack of cyclists) holding up traffic in two lanes. If there's only one lane, it's even worse. In high traffic areas, it's a recipe for disaster. It doesn't make sense for bicycles to be the road with cars. It's too dangerous. I don't want to accidentally kill a cyclist.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:46 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,516,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
I enjoy it too, I do it on a bike trail every now and then, and at a large partk with biking trails.
It is not only exercise. It serves a purpose as transportation in 1) places whose roads were designed before the automobile and haven't been retrofitted exclusively for a car's use and 2) places whose roads were designed after the auto but have made investments because they see bike lanes as a way to reduce congestion, pollution, damage to roads and the need for tons of parking.

A cyclist who is doing it right will not impede traffic for more than a few seconds. For many drivers, this is insulting.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eofelis View Post
I see it this way: Car drivers are sitting in a La-Z-Boy chair, in climate controlled comfort, listening to their favorite music. Effortlessly getting to their destination. This is unimaginable luxury for the majority of humans. The least they they can do is pay attention, slow down and give a bit of room to other road users with out whining about it. Oh- and put the phone down too, please.
When driving in traffic, the only way I can give room to cyclists is to follow behind them. I can't move over, because there are cars in the other lane. There's simply not enough room in one lane for a car and a bicycle to ride side by side safely. That's the problem I have with it. It causes a dangerous situation. I go out of my way not to get near a cyclist with my car. But it impedes the flow of traffic when there is someone on a bike in a high traffic area and cars can't get around the bicyclist. Why put your life at risk by riding in traffic?

And someone asked what if it were our kid riding? I would have never allowed my kids to ride a bike in the street.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:52 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,498,624 times
Cyclists??? A bunch of ex-hippies, and hippie wannabes, hellbent on suicide.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:02 PM

22,331 posts, read 29,432,497 times
Quote:
It's illegal to ride on the sidewalk in most places. The street is meant to be the place for bikes and cars, not just cars. It can be made to be for both, but most roads are designed to be unfriendly to all modes of traffic that aren't cars.
Give me a break!! I don't think I've ever seen a cop give a ticket to a bicyclist using a sidewalk. They're probably happy they don't have to scrap them off the road.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:00 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,264,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Cyclists??? A bunch of ex-hippies, and hippie wannabes, hellbent on suicide.
I'm definitely not ex-hippie, hippie wannabe (but I did eat granola once)and suicide is not my motive. I do see cyclists like that though, but not out here in GOP-suburbia land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive