Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 03:42 PM

792 posts, read 2,873,387 times

Advertisements

I'm going to replace the LCAs on my Altima and I'm wondering how much easier it would be with an electric impact wrench. I'm trying to save money, and this is a tool I won't use often. On the other hand, I don't want to spend to spend days under the car trying to get leverage on SOB tight bolts. I'm not sure if this makes sense or if I just want to add to my tool collection. Drool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 03:50 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,241,788 times
Just grab one. Its good to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it. I grabbed on at Harbor Freight last month for like $40, made the job so much easier.

Old 05-15-2012, 03:56 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,852,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBPisgah View Post
I don't want to spend to spend days under the car trying to get leverage on tight bolts.
For the removal of the bolts, I'd say YES !!
To re-install, unless the wrench is properly calibrated, I would NOT use an impact wrench. Too easy to get them over-torqued ...
Even more important is to make sure your sockets are the *good* ones.
Cheapo ones will often ruin nuts !!!
Do you have a good torque wrench already ?

How much *free* vertical space do you have underneath those bolts/nuts, in order to remove them ?

Just for info, how good are those *electrically operated* ones ?

Old 05-15-2012, 04:03 PM

3,972 posts, read 5,165,235 times
Most parts stores will rent tools.

Just make sure it's one with a cord and not a battery pack.

Old 05-15-2012, 04:39 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,170,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st33lcas3 View Post
Most parts stores will rent tools.

Just make sure it's one with a cord and not a battery pack.
My buddy did the LCAs on his mom's Murano with the DeWalt cordless model. Didn't even struggle to break them free. I was definitely impressed.

Mike

Old 05-15-2012, 05:14 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,219,241 times
As irman alluded to, get yourself a torque wrench while your out. Even a cheap one is better than nothing...

Old 05-15-2012, 05:49 PM

792 posts, read 2,873,387 times
I just popped under the car, and most of the bolts are horizontal to the ground, so I should have clearance for a breaker bar. I will torque the bolts on reinstall, so no time saved there. idk, it seems doable with hand tools, but I've been burned before - everything seems to take about four times longer than I think it will.

Good to hear about the DeWalt. Do you remember if that was a 1/4 impact driver with female connection, or the impact wrench version with the male 1/2 inch? Some of the battery wrenches list 220 ft lbs.

Old 05-15-2012, 05:50 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,696,401 times
I've done this to freshen up my rides and never needed more than a breaker bar and a good torque wrench that reads 15-150 lbs. My breaker bar is actually a 25-250 lbs broken torque wrench. That will get automotive bolt off.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:49 PM

17,213 posts, read 57,058,915 times
You know, if you don't have an air compressor, even a small, 110 V one HP unit is way better than nothing, and, once you have that, grab a good air impact.

Some people pride themeselves on being able to get a job done without springing for any special tools - that's one approach to DIY satisfaction. But, me, I don't regret buying tools that are considerably better than what's no-negotiation required to get the job done.

I have definitely broken some stuck bolts loose with the rattle gun, that very likely I would have broken off if I tried to do them with a breaker bar.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:45 PM

22,658 posts, read 24,585,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBPisgah View Post
I'm going to replace the LCAs on my Altima and I'm wondering how much easier it would be with an electric impact wrench. I'm trying to save money, and this is a tool I won't use often. On the other hand, I don't want to spend to spend days under the car trying to get leverage on SOB tight bolts. I'm not sure if this makes sense or if I just want to add to my tool collection. Drool.

Yes.....buy it.........tools are great/neato.

I got a whole bunch of tools that I only use once in a while........so what, when I need them they are there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive