Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 07:12 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times

Advertisements

I joined a car forum and for my model they have a "sticky" section of "Information DIY" that was extremely good.
They had links to informative stuff for brakes, A/C, etc, etc with excellent pictures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 07:52 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,175,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
Here's a couple of online magazines you can learn a lot from

MOTOR Magazine Articles | MOTOR Information Systems

Brake & Front End: The Complete Undercar Service Magazine look under tech
Never heard of those. The 'MOTOR' one looks promising. Is it an over-the-counter magazine? Looks like one that's made for the auto repair industry and might not be available to Joe Six Pack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
whiteboy, you looked inside an owner's manual lately?
Uhm, yeah?

My 09 xB came with multiple manuals, even one that is allegedly devoted to maintenance. It DOES tell you what maintenance to have done and even what kind of fluid to use, but there's no step-by-step for basic preventive maintenance items like an oil change or a brake job. That I can recall, I have never seen an owner's manual go through things like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
seems Popular Mechanics use to include how-to articles; i'll admit i havent read one of those mags in years though
Good one. Forgot about them.

Mike

Last edited by whiteboyslo; 05-17-2012 at 08:26 AM..

Old 05-17-2012, 08:53 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
I don't know about MOTOR although I believe that name has been around for years in repair information for shops. The site has a few references to ALLDATA though, which is another such repair info system for shops. ALLDATA has a DIY subscription service that can give you repair info specific to your car:

ALLDATAdiy.com Leading Source of Factory Automotive Repair Information

It's not perfect, in my experience, but it has helped me. It's as adequate as some other repair manuals I've seen, although I haven't bought a paper repair manual specific to my own car.

I've also found good tips by just googling and finding results that were in brand and sometimes model-specific online forums. Some people post really good detailed how-tos with pics and everything. I was able to better understand the power antenna mast replacement and the hatch actuator replacement on my Integra thanks to helpful folks who shared their own experiences online.

None of this lends itself to general reading about generic auto maintenance though. These are things to go to when you have a specific repair you're trying to complete.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:12 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,250,516 times
Motor is a trade magazine not (usually)available for sale, you can usually get it for free from freebizmag if you tell them a lie about your profession
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive