Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 12:05 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,371,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
Source: Response to Response to Motor Trend Subaru Legacy article .

I have a couple Volvos and a Subaru
That's funny! I drive an old Volvo Wagon I've been restoring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 12:10 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,294,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK360 View Post
Couldn't care less what people think. lol.
Not caring what people think about you based on your car is a good thing, but it's a far cry from not knowing that people do think differently about you because of the car, or or not knowing what that image is (and occasionally taking advantage of it, for the good or bad).

In your case, you're actually taking advantage of what people think about the Saturn by using it to leave at the park and ride.

But if you were a, say, realtor that had to take/meet clients somewhere, that car would be a poor choice. It would convey the wrong image for the job. The G8 would be better.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:12 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,562,225 times
I couldn't care less what people think of me in my corolla or my 4Runner. Anyone who judges a person by the car they drive is abviously missing something in their lives.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:18 PM

556 posts, read 1,228,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Not caring what people think about you based on your car is a good thing, but it's a far cry from not knowing that people do think differently about you because of the car, or or not knowing what that image is (and occasionally taking advantage of it, for the good or bad).

In your case, you're actually taking advantage of what people think about the Saturn by using it to leave at the park and ride.

But if you were a, say, realtor that had to take/meet clients somewhere, that car would be a poor choice. It would convey the wrong image for the job. The G8 would be better.
Oh I know people judge completely. I didn't go out and buy the G8 thinking man people are going to think I am cool now. Tho I did catch a lot of **** from my friends for trading in a mid 11 second 2 door GTO and going to a stock 4 door G8 ("When are the kids coming?" etc) but that's expected. lol

A friend of mines wife is a drug company rep, she was driving a mid 2000's Civic or their mid 2000's Ford Escape, she wanted a new car because she felt "like she didn't have money" when she had to go to the office and park around her coworkers Audi's, BMWs etc. Meanwhile both vehicles were paid off, the same can't be said about all the (probably leases) german "luxury" cars in the parking lot. She ended up getting them back into car payments to pickup an 09 Cadillac CTS-4.

I'm not worried about the people as I park far enough away from everybody but rather leaving the car out in the sun all day, exposed to acid rain, hail whatever when I have another car to drive there that gets better gas mileage, only downside is the A/C is broken. Good thing it's only a mile each way.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:30 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,025,524 times
frankly i dont drive to impress, and i sure am not impressed by what others drive. I may be impressed by the CAR, but not who's behind the wheel. I've learned not to judge others on appearance, though i will judge them on attitude. After all, an arse is an arse, regardless if he pulls up in a hi end car or a clunker.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:42 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,540,413 times
My car says that I am environmentally conscious, frugal, and don't have a clue where to find a carwash!

Old 06-07-2012, 12:59 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,487,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK360 View Post
Oh I know people judge completely. I didn't go out and buy the G8 thinking man people are going to think I am cool now. Tho I did catch a lot of **** from my friends for trading in a mid 11 second 2 door GTO and going to a stock 4 door G8 ("When are the kids coming?" etc) but that's expected. lol

A friend of mines wife is a drug company rep, she was driving a mid 2000's Civic or their mid 2000's Ford Escape, she wanted a new car because she felt "like she didn't have money" when she had to go to the office and park around her coworkers Audi's, BMWs etc. Meanwhile both vehicles were paid off, the same can't be said about all the (probably leases) german "luxury" cars in the parking lot. She ended up getting them back into car payments to pickup an 09 Cadillac CTS-4.

I'm not worried about the people as I park far enough away from everybody but rather leaving the car out in the sun all day, exposed to acid rain, hail whatever when I have another car to drive there that gets better gas mileage, only downside is the A/C is broken. Good thing it's only a mile each way.
It baffles me when it comes to the notion that getting a nicer, more luxurious car will increase one's salary or net worth. It may be true for realtors or salespeople but I don't see it happening for the average salaried employee.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
I couldn't care less what people think of me in my corolla or my 4Runner. Anyone who judges a person by the car they drive is abviously missing something in their lives.

So what do you say about someone that judges someone else based on the clothes they wear, or their hair cut? Do you judge someone who dreses like this:

differently than someone who dresses like this:

Or like this:

Are you missing something in your life if you think they are different kinds of people? YOu WILL have a differnt first impression of each of them It's natural to do so. And cars are like clothes or personal hygene. They do give off an impression of your personality, even if it's an inaccurate one.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
It baffles me when it comes to the notion that getting a nicer, more luxurious car will increase one's salary or net worth. It may be true for realtors or salespeople but I don't see it happening for the average salaried employee.
It won't but you've heard the old saying "the clothes make the man?" If you act more successful, and you FEEL more successful, you generally will BE more successful. If you get a good shower, haircut and are wearing good clothes, you FEEL different than if you are unwashed wearing torn up old clothes. A nicer car can do that for a person just like that haircut and nicer clothes can.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:15 PM

13,630 posts, read 10,034,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
Some people certainly do judge other by what they drive, but its up to you to not feed into that. I'm 33yrs old and have owned around 25 cars in my life. Throughout my 20's I bought cars and sold them for something else whenever I got bored of driving them. I've had everything from 2 seater sports cars, to 4 door luxury vehicles, to a conversion van equipped with a bed, fridge, and mini blinds! LOL. Just last week I went shopping for a new car due to tranny failure on my 06 Mazda. At this stage in my life I just wanted something practical, reliable, and economical. Back then I bought flashy cars just for the sake of being flashy. Guess it was a faze. Now I can care less what others may think or say about what I drive.
I won't be feeding into it, I'm comfortable with who I am, and don't have anything to prove, as it sounds, are you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive