Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2012, 02:35 PM

5,653 posts, read 5,153,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshell346 View Post
My thoughts = Yeah, I just found a cute, safe, dependable 6 year old car, w/ low miles under $9,000.
Their thoughts = Wow, she's driving a Volvo now.....nice. She must be doing well.
Pretty much yeah.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2012, 06:19 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,027,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
I couldn't care less what people think of me in my corolla or my 4Runner. Anyone who judges a person by the car they drive is abviously missing something in their lives.

Oh what ever. You've never seen someone in a caddy with 26" rims and judged them or someone in a junkyard car that barely runs? LIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-09-2012, 06:25 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,758,329 times
When I was contemplating going on a date with this guy, he said, "What kind of car do you drive? It tells me everything I need to know about you."

Old 06-09-2012, 06:29 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
Just recently, my wife and I were taking our Daughter to a friend’s house. My Wife said to me, “We can’t take your car, people will think the pikeys are turning up”.

So we went in her little car, I feel so vulnerable in that!

I’d planned, and still do plan, on keeping my car for a number of years now. Yes, it’s a bit noisy, a bit tatty, smokes a bit, and aged now, (you could say that about a number of people), but I like it.

It can carry 0.7 ton in the back, it pulls trees out, (without too much of a problem), seats seven, and can be driven almost anywhere, even in the snow, (not that it likes starting in winter though), and that suits me.

I started to suspect the wife wanted me to get rid of it, at the time of the last MOT, she told me we would need to get another car if too much was wrong with it, well, there wasn’t.

I do get attached to my cars, and think we are judged far too much for what we drive.

So, what statement, does the model of car you drive, make about you?

Do you judge people by what they drive?

You can even add other assumptions that are made, if you like.
I think the only person judging YOU by your car was your wife.

I don't get that.

I'll show up in my POS truck or I'll show up in my 80k sports car...either way, I don't care what people think. I'll drive what I am comfortable in or whatever has enough gas in it that day.

Old 06-09-2012, 07:56 PM

8,558 posts, read 10,981,308 times
My car most definitely makes a statement about me,and that is, "one classic dude".

Bob.

Old 06-10-2012, 04:20 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,153,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
My car most definitely makes a statement about me,and that is, "one classic dude".Bob.
I have no idea what it is but yeah, "one classic dude" would pretty much describe what i'd think when seeing that.

Old 06-10-2012, 04:34 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,247,301 times
The fact is a lot of people do not even own a car. It takes quite a bit of money to own and maintain any car, i.e. insurance, registration, emissions, etc. Therefore, why would anyone judge someone on the car they drive? In other words, anyone who has a car, no matter what it is, makes a statement that they are successful for that fact alone.

Old 06-10-2012, 05:10 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,294,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
The fact is a lot of people do not even own a car. It takes quite a bit of money to own and maintain any car, i.e. insurance, registration, emissions, etc. Therefore, why would anyone judge someone on the car they drive? In other words, anyone who has a car, no matter what it is, makes a statement that they are successful for that fact alone.
Why woudl anyone judge anyone on the clothes they wear? Again, if you see someone in a car you make an assumption about that person. if they dont' own a car, you still make an assumption about that person if you see them. Based on theri clothes or hair cut or whatever.

Old 06-10-2012, 09:20 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,498,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Why woudl anyone judge anyone on the clothes they wear? Again, if you see someone in a car you make an assumption about that person. if they dont' own a car, you still make an assumption about that person if you see them. Based on theri clothes or hair cut or whatever.
I make my assumptions more based on spelling and grammer. Like if someone has 3 mispelled words and 2-4 grammer mistakes in less than two complete sentences..

Old 06-10-2012, 09:28 AM

25,848 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
Just recently, my wife and I were taking our Daughter to a friend’s house. My Wife said to me, “We can’t take your car, people will think the pikeys are turning up”.

So we went in her little car, I feel so vulnerable in that!

I’d planned, and still do plan, on keeping my car for a number of years now. Yes, it’s a bit noisy, a bit tatty, smokes a bit, and aged now, (you could say that about a number of people), but I like it.

It can carry 0.7 ton in the back, it pulls trees out, (without too much of a problem), seats seven, and can be driven almost anywhere, even in the snow, (not that it likes starting in winter though), and that suits me.

I started to suspect the wife wanted me to get rid of it, at the time of the last MOT, she told me we would need to get another car if too much was wrong with it, well, there wasn’t.

I do get attached to my cars, and think we are judged far too much for what we drive.

So, what statement, does the model of car you drive, make about you?

Do you judge people by what they drive?

You can even add other assumptions that are made, if you like.
There's only a couple of vehicles that I would actually judge the person driving. If you are in a Hummer H2 or H3 I'm going to automatically label you a clown until proven otherwise.

The Corvette thing has been beaten to death on this forum, I won't comment on those.

Now if I see you driving an Aston Martin DB9 I'm going to think not only are you wealthy, but very smart with good taste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive