Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 07:44 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,485,551 times

Advertisements

Ford Focus?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 11:02 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,532,111 times
I think you found the perfect car for you with the CTS. I would only look at the Taurus if you want something newer. If you are 29 you aren't allowed by law in most states to purchase a Buick. Maybe a Regal or Enclave but certainly not a Lacrosse or Lucerne.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:00 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,701,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
I think you found the perfect car for you with the CTS. I would only look at the Taurus if you want something newer. If you are 29 you aren't allowed by law in most states to purchase a Buick. Maybe a Regal or Enclave but certainly not a Lacrosse or Lucerne.
I know you're being sarcastic but the new Lacrosse's I see most often are driven my middle-aged professionals rather than senior citizens. They're really stealing some business away from entry-level Lexus vehicles as well as upper-trim Toyota's and Honda's. I really like the new Lacrosse's for what they are; a quiet, comfortable, highway cruiser. If I ever had a job where I'd be racking up miles on a vehicle, the Lacrosse is probably one of the first ones I'd be looking at.

Quote:
Ford Focus?
Would you want to take between 8 and 10 long-distance trips in a Focus? I know I sure wouldn't! During a long trip, comfort has always taken priority over gas mileage or the alike.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:10 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,248,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post

Would you want to take between 8 and 10 long-distance trips in a Focus? I know I sure wouldn't! During a long trip, comfort has always taken priority over gas mileage or the alike.
My SVT Focus was one of the most comfortable cars I have ever driven.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:33 PM

4,359 posts, read 7,532,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
I know you're being sarcastic but the new Lacrosse's I see most often are driven my middle-aged professionals rather than senior citizens. They're really stealing some business away from entry-level Lexus vehicles as well as upper-trim Toyota's and Honda's. I really like the new Lacrosse's for what they are; a quiet, comfortable, highway cruiser. If I ever had a job where I'd be racking up miles on a vehicle, the Lacrosse is probably one of the first ones I'd be looking at.
In my little neighborhood (less than 150 homes) only one person drives a new Lacrosse. He is in his late 60's and he has the CXS with AWD. I can see driving one if you are in your 40's but not in your late 20's or early 30's. I (I am 40) would rather be in a Taurus image wise. Honestly, my wife wouldn't let me get either one.

Unrelated, I was speaking with someone and he puts 65,000 miles on a car a year. That is a lot of miles.

Old 06-12-2012, 03:15 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,701,216 times
Quote:
In my little neighborhood (less than 150 homes) only one person drives a new Lacrosse. He is in his late 60's and he has the CXS with AWD. I can see driving one if you are in your 40's but not in your late 20's or early 30's. I (I am 40) would rather be in a Taurus image wise. Honestly, my wife wouldn't let me get either one.

Unrelated, I was speaking with someone and he puts 65,000 miles on a car a year. That is a lot of miles.
I'm 31 and I'd personally would have no problem driving a Lacrosse as a daily driver. It's an attractive vehicle and has quite a few luxury amenities for the price.

A friend of mine is a manufacturing consultant and he puts on in excess of 50K miles each year and he's currently driving a 2011 Lacrosse. Previously he was driving an Impala and absolutely loves the comfort and amenities of the Lacrosse. He's also the type that won't buy a foreign vehicle and he's also in his early 30's.

I feel Buick is doing a pretty good job of revitalizing their brand image especially with the new Regal and Verano appealing to a younger generation of buyers.

Old 06-12-2012, 04:16 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,184,988 times
You're coming from a really old Honda Accord, so why not get a new (2008-2012) one? My 2008 4 cylinder sedan with ALL the bells and whistles and only 48,905 miles on it was $18,599... and it's a Honda so it's proven quality that will easily last you 15 more years. Add to that it's in pristine condition - it looks and drives like new! It has leather seats, 6 disc CD changer, everything available except the nav system. You can get anything you want on a 2008 Accord and stay under 21 grand or so. That's right, you can have a heck of a car and still have 4-8 grand left over for something nice.

And it was built in Marysville, Ohio so it IS domestic.

Old 06-12-2012, 04:22 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,184,988 times
Quote:
If you are 29 you aren't allowed by law in most states to purchase a Buick. Maybe a Regal or Enclave but certainly not a Lacrosse or Lucerne.
I rode in an Enclave... the person driving it was a 28 year old woman. Enclave and Regal seem to target somewhat younger crowds anyway. Buick is no longer just for the elderly. Maybe we need a "It's Not Your Father's Buick" campaign.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:38 PM

7 posts, read 16,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
You're coming from a really old Honda Accord, so why not get a new (2008-2012) one?

And it was built in Marysville, Ohio so it IS domestic.
I'm not complaining about Hondas being built in the US, and for that matter, I guess one might as well look at whether the suppliers are foreign or domestic, not where the assembly line is. For what its worth, I was seriously considering Volvo C30, but it's a much smaller car and I just can't see it winning over a CTS or a Buick. Volvo is just too impractical (I'd have to fold down the back seat just to fit my gun case). CTS has very similar ride (Volvo may be a bit quicker than the base CTS) but is just a more substantial car. I'm betting Buick is too. I'm not happy in small cars. I also considered the C class Mercedes, but have doubts about the reliability. And fixing European makes can be a pain. When my old Honda breaks, I feel it. When my mom's old Taurus used to break, it didn't cost that much to fix it.

I don't think the non-luxury Asian makes are in the same category comfort-wise, at least not to me. Anyone who thinks differently may change their mind after driving the CTS (or Mercedes, or Volvo). Luxury Asian makes can be a different beast, but they cost so much, I don't see a reason to go with them except for reliability, and there I think CTS and some Buicks and Fords have scored high marks recently. And maybe in part my bias is not rational, but I don't think its wholly irrational.

Don't think Buicks are for old folks only anymore, especially the Regal. I'll definitely test drive it, hopefully this weekend.

Last edited by decomel123; 06-12-2012 at 08:50 PM..

Old 06-12-2012, 10:42 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,651,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
My SVT Focus was one of the most comfortable cars I have ever driven.
You need to drive more vehicles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive