Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 02:27 AM

4,539 posts, read 12,406,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badgmc View Post

If someone is a good enough person to realize they have a problem and stop doing it, then I'll give credit where credit is due. With having so many DWIs that his license is permanently suspended, one would guess that there would have been at least one court-ordered rehab program in there somewhere that didn't work. This guy wasn't going to quit.
Thank you 1badg for telling your story. And thank you for providing the color and the details that made it interesting, and that even includes the information that the other guy was 53 and had a history of DUIs. Without it, it would just have been a report on a police blotter.

Old 06-17-2012, 04:44 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Not to defend the drunk
Then don't.

Old 06-17-2012, 07:14 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,677,126 times
Toxicology reports take a good while to be released . What was the decedent's BAC?

Or do previous DUIs and beer cans on the floor constitute proof that the driver was intoxicated?

Old 06-17-2012, 07:18 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,689,689 times
WOW. Glad you and your family are all ok.
As an EMT who covered 420 sq miles as well as 32 miles of Interstate, I have seen many - MANY - t-boned vehicles towing campers (usually in the rain or after a rain). Yours was the BEST one - usually they roll and flip the towing vehicle, and usually the victims are a LOT more severely hurt, especially those inside the camper. The weight and low gravity point of the Suburban, as well as your angle and lack of speed, probably saved your lives.

I have a rather heartless outlook on the drunk - he deserved what happened to him, it was inevitable due to his previous refusal to change, and thank god he didn't kill anyone in his selfish indulgences. Too often I have seen heartless drunks whine about scratches or bruises or even a broken arm or leg, when their victims are unable to complain - ever again.

Also speaking as an EMT, please don't discount altogether the idea that the family hasn't a leg to stand on to try to sue or get something from you and your parents. One family was so upset that their brother went on a crime spree, stole several cars at gunpoint, pistol-whipped an older couple, and ended his own life by wrecking one of the stolen cars and attacking a police officer (who shot him), that they went on TV saying pitiably "He was just trying to get Christmas money for his kids!", stalked and harassed the brother's victims (so badly that they had to change their phone numbers and take out restraining orders - one worked for an attorney!) and sued the police department and the individual police officer for wrongful death. You never know how people are going to react, and your being in the absolute right, with photos and police reports to prove it, doesn't matter to sleazy lawyers or pitying juries. It especially doesn't matter to people who feel guilty over their relative's illegal activities, who try to justify their own inability to intervene - by placing the blame for the inevitable result on the least guilty party (you and your family).

Hopefully the latter will not happen, and your lives will continue to progress and improve.

Old 06-17-2012, 07:53 AM

568 posts, read 2,420,592 times
Quote:
Not to defend the drunk but thats a pretty clear road for you not to see a car coming..Glad you all made out ok..
That overpass is elevated. There is a good rise on both sides of it. A car doesn't have to be too far on the other side of it to not be able to see it coming.

Old 06-17-2012, 01:49 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
That overpass is elevated. There is a good rise on both sides of it. A car doesn't have to be too far on the other side of it to not be able to see it coming.
Sorry for being a bit insensitive but a few years ago i was in a very similar kind of wreck, me and my family were in the car when the SUV with trailer pulled out in front of us.We survived with just cuts and bruises,Suv driver tried to say i was going too fast,county mountie reminded the driver he had a clear half a mile to see me coming,

Old 06-17-2012, 02:36 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,497,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
I’m not a lawyer, but I highly recommend pulling your pictures and story. In the end it won’t matter that he was drunk, had no license and lived at home. What will matter is that you violated his right of way and now he’s dead.
Maybe you should go back and read what
the OP 1badgmc said at the first place ...

Quote:
It was 8:15 pm. It was dusk and it had rained shortly before and was still overcast. It was a black car with no lights on.
This is enough to clear the OP 1badgmc of any wrong doing
at the intersection. Making all of the fault of the wreck
on the driver of the black car because he did not having his lights on,
even if he was not drunk.

Old 06-17-2012, 02:47 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,497,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Wierd thing to say considering he got 5500 more for it.

Insurance companies pay book value to the insurer when their car is totaled,
and it makes not difference if the care was given to you by a friend,
and you paid nothing for it.

Old 06-17-2012, 04:07 PM

568 posts, read 2,420,592 times
Quote:
Sorry for being a bit insensitive but a few years ago i was in a very similar kind of wreck, me and my family were in the car when the SUV with trailer pulled out in front of us.We survived with just cuts and bruises,Suv driver tried to say i was going too fast,county mountie reminded the driver he had a clear half a mile to see me coming,
That relates to my situation how? To my right, I could clearly see for a little over 1/4 mile to the next intersection where the road ended. To my left, just a few hundred feet to the peak of the bridge. You can point your finger at me all you want, but the fact is, the road was clear when I stopped. It was clear when I started rolling. By the time I was into the intersection and looked back to my left, the car was barreling over the bridge at me at high speed with no intention of avoiding a collision.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:50 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,394,916 times
Toxicology reports take a good while to be released . What was the decedent's BAC?

Probably pretty damn high.
Or do previous DUIs and beer cans on the floor constitute proof that the driver was intoxicated?

Not proof, but a pretty good indication.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive