Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 01:24 PM

660 posts, read 1,616,001 times

Advertisements

I brought my honda crv to the dealer service mechanic for oil change. They recommend transmission flush coz my car is more than 30k miles. They charged $80 for changing 3 quarts of fluid only. I think he said transmission has 10 quarts. So it's just partial flush.

For the full 10 quarts and removing all those junk it's $185. I decided to do it, did I get ripped off?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 01:26 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,368,183 times
You got ripped off.

There is absolutely NO reason to flush a transmission with only 30,000 miles. In addition, the last time I had a tranny flushed (on a 20 year old truck with over 200,000 miles) it cost me $69.

Old 06-22-2012, 01:49 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,620,458 times
My uncle used to have his tranny flushed every 60k with the machine which extracts all the fluids from the torque converter. He's no longer a convert after the tranny on his Lexus ES died after just 130k with normal non-aggressive driving. The 2 mechanics i've used in the past have both said that they don't push the service because in their opinion it doesn't extend the life of the unit... it's just pure $$ to the bottom line.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:04 PM

660 posts, read 1,616,001 times
Sigh I'm such an idiot. I should have chosen the $80, partial flush. I should have googled before making impulsive decision.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:13 PM

609 posts, read 2,242,759 times
you always "drain and re-fill" a Honda ALWAYS. Consider this a lesson learnt the hard way.

I usually drain and refill every 30k miles.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:22 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,381,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerclaws View Post
you always "drain and re-fill" a Honda ALWAYS. Consider this a lesson learnt the hard way.

I usually drain and refill every 30k miles.
The flush gets the dirty fluid drained out of the torque converter. When you just drain and refill you put clean fluid in with dirty fluid.
I think I paid about $125 10 years ago for a flush on my 1995 PSD

Old 06-22-2012, 02:51 PM

370 posts, read 1,564,216 times
My husband says heat and burnt fluid are the big tranny killers. The flush gets ALL the fluid out while the drain probably gets less than half of that. When you head down the road your remaining dirty fluid gets mixed in with the new. Kind of like taking a bath after someone else already has (ewww). I think $180 is a little excessive - our Chevy dealer is only $125 and sometimes we see it for less than $100. A simple drain and fill can run you $60 or more (which is, coincidentally, about half the cost)!! Of course this doesn't get your filter cleaned (if you have one)or your pan re-sealed.

Old 06-22-2012, 03:00 PM

72 posts, read 170,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
You got ripped off.

There is absolutely NO reason to flush a transmission with only 30,000 miles. In addition, the last time I had a tranny flushed (on a 20 year old truck with over 200,000 miles) it cost me $69.
I don't agree, George.

I'm a former Honda tech. I went through their tech program at a community college, the whole deal. The service manual of most late model Honda's recommends 60k or 36 months for "severe" conditions (which, properly defined in practical application, is what most of us should be following). That's just a rough guesstimate on their part. My former colleagues and I noticed that, particularly with automatic transmissions, Honda's do best with a change frequency much greater than that. It's completely reasonable to assume a tranny could use a fluid swap at 30K in my experience. It's the frequency I changed the fluids in my own Honda's.

The price is high but it's dependent on your area like everything else in life.

More importantly, as someone else mentioned, I sincerely hope he didn't really do a mechanized flush. Drain and fill is the ONLY way one should swap ALL Hondas. Honda trannies hate flushes.

Old 06-22-2012, 03:05 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,259,196 times
I run most of my cars to up around 200K miles and have never had a transmission flush performed. I've also never had a transmission problem that could be attributed to contaminated fluid.

Now that I think about it, I've only done a couple of filter changes over the years.

Old 06-22-2012, 03:06 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,652,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mid-Level Internetting View Post
I don't agree, George.

I'm a former Honda tech. I went through their tech program at a community college, the whole deal. The service manual of most late model Honda's recommends 60k or 36 months for "severe" conditions (which, properly defined in practical application, is what most of us should be following). That's just a rough guesstimate on their part. My former colleagues and I noticed that, particularly with automatic transmissions, Honda's do best with a change frequency much greater than that. It's completely reasonable to assume a tranny could use a fluid swap at 30K in my experience. It's the frequency I changed the fluids in my own Honda's.

The price is high, but it's dependent on your area, like everything else in life.

More importantly, as someone else mentioned, I sincerely hope he didn't really do a mechanized flush. Drain and fill is the ONLY way one should swap ALL Hondas. Honda trannies hate flushes.
Why is that? It would seem to make sense to flush all the old transimission fluid before adding new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive