Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 01:20 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times

Advertisements

When I think "muscle car", I do think "old man". Overall, I don't think younger dudes are into them. They're a thing of the past (70s).

I personally would never buy one because I don't see the point in a car that's just going to attract more attention from the cops, get bad gas mileage, and have the power to get me lots of speeding tickets!

I don't "race" anywhere, so what's the point???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 01:38 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,292,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
When I think "muscle car", I do think "old man". Overall, I don't think younger dudes are into them. They're a thing of the past (70s).

I personally would never buy one because I don't see the point in a car that's just going to attract more attention from the cops, get bad gas mileage, and have the power to get me lots of speeding tickets!

Ah, the old "I don't like what you like so I don't get the point" argument.

Many of us like them, and many younger people like them, too. Go to any Cars and Coffee event where there are Mustangs and Camaros and Challengers and you'll see a ton of young dudes driving them.

I lie the sound, the look, and the feel of them. Which is why I've had many over the years. And I've never got a speeding ticket in one.

Old 09-19-2014, 01:42 PM

3,046 posts, read 4,126,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I think that we can all agree though that when you see a really cool Mustang GT and then see the driver is 60 years old, it completely ruins the image that the manufacturer SHOULD be going for. Youth, excitement and freedom. That is what it used to mean to me when I was young. Watching my rear view mirror for cops or other idiots just like me in fast cars who wanted to race. Getting a kick out of seeing a cop and going around the corner and lighting up the back tires and then getting out of Dodge before you get busted. Taking a road trip with your buddies to the Black Hills or somewhere else and hitting 100+ mph every hour on the hour.

I blame the manufacturers. Like someone mentioned in the thread, there are some models that are affordable, the ones with the V6 ect. They should have designed them with no frills and more performance to keep the coolest ones the lowest priced.

I would love to see Dodge come out with the Barricuda (since Plymouth is history) Build it on the Challenger chassis. No AC, crank up windows. Simple interior. Make it in only 3 colors--red, black or white. Put in a hemi V8 with manual tranny only and a roll bar inside.

Then hire Kenny Chesney or some guy the young people are nuts about to market it. Now ThAT would build excitement. Could even call it a Road Runner.
The reason you see so many older people driving them is that they are the only ones who can afford them. Im sure the big3 know what they are doing. They have been around longer than any of us have been alive. They know what sells and what dose not. Look at GM they knew that pontiac, and Saturn, and olds were not selling so they stop making them. Same with Ford and the Mercury division and Chrysler with the Plymouth.

Seven Chrysler Group vehicles set sales records in July. The Jeep Wrangler, Jeep Compass, Dodge Dart, Dodge Challenger, Dodge Journey, and Ram Cargo Van each recorded their best July sales ever. The Fiat 500L set a new all-time monthly sales record in July. Dart sales were up 23 percent in July, the third-consecutive month that the compact car has set a sales record. Wrangler sales were up 14 percent, while the 500L recorded a 49 percent year-over-year increase.

So thats why Chrysler is still making retro muscle cars. Same as GM and Ford

Old 09-19-2014, 04:51 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,391,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post

They've got the power of sports cars, but are not uncomfortable, testy or terribly expensive.

Take me, for example. I like going fast. I like a big V8 and plenty of power.

Put me in a manual 911 and send me up a twisty mountain road, I'll stall and get carsick.

Pop me in a Challanger Hellcat and let me cruise the highway and I'll be happy as a clam.

Old 09-19-2014, 05:12 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,142,570 times
My other problem:

Please stop bring them to car shows. Big WOW another fresh off the lot belly button Camaro etc.

Maybe things changed, but when use to go to car shows anything after 72 was directed to the other parking with the other belly button drivers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive