Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 09:41 AM

4,206 posts, read 3,755,177 times

Advertisements

Duster, those are the days you could actually work on your own cars and not spend an arm and a leg getting them repaired at the shop. Ive been asked why I didnt add fuel injection to my Mustang...simple, thats half the fun of driving an old car. The heat didint even work in my first car, and I lived in NH. Id just bring a blanket along. would I have gotten rid of it because of that? absolutely not. Of course thats just my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 10:29 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,069,075 times
I don't think cars were cooler back then, in fact I'd say it's quite the opposite. Although there were a good number of desirable cars from a few decades ago, I'd say we have much greater variety and better options across a broad spectrum of cars. Exotics have never been better, the current AMG/M/RS/GTR cars are fantastic and then you've got the GT500's, 400+ hp Mustang GT, SS Camaro, various SRT8 and R/T Chrysler cars, Genesis Coupe, EVO, STi, 370Z, FR-S/BRZ, Focus ST, VW GTI, Mazdaspeed 3, the return of the SRT4, Civic Si, etc. We have never had more options in a greater range of prices. On top of that, the base versions of all these cars are actually pretty good compared to the base versions of any cars from decades ago which were pretty awful in comparison. Today’s V6’s make 300hp+ and outrun V8’s from decades past (that’s even true for our turbo four’s).

Old 07-27-2012, 11:17 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,570,419 times
Everything in this country has been pussified. What most people want now are cars that are safe and economical.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:52 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,997,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
I don't think cars were cooler back then, in fact I'd say it's quite the opposite. Although there were a good number of desirable cars from a few decades ago, I'd say we have much greater variety and better options across a broad spectrum of cars. Exotics have never been better, the current AMG/M/RS/GTR cars are fantastic and then you've got the GT500's, 400+ hp Mustang GT, SS Camaro, various SRT8 and R/T Chrysler cars, Genesis Coupe, EVO, STi, 370Z, FR-S/BRZ, Focus ST, VW GTI, Mazdaspeed 3, the return of the SRT4, Civic Si, etc. We have never had more options in a greater range of prices. On top of that, the base versions of all these cars are actually pretty good compared to the base versions of any cars from decades ago which were pretty awful in comparison. Today’s V6’s make 300hp+ and outrun V8’s from decades past (that’s even true for our turbo four’s).
This is a good post! There are certainly plenty of fun, cool rides.

However the biggest contrast may really be in the "boring" and "average" cars. 30 years ago, most average and affordable cars were slow, handled poorly, braked badly, rusted quick, etc. Today, just about any car sold by a major manufacturer will last 10 times as long, physically and mechanically, they ride and handle 100 times better, are quicker, stop better, are more comfortable, are far safer in collissions, and have standard the features deamed as luxury items in the past.

If you bought a new 1980 Ford Fairmont, with a gas sucking 94 HP 3.3L I6, vinyl bench seat, crank windows, manual locks, no air conditioner and single speaker AM radio, and you could look ahead to today, you would think a modern family car was VERY cool.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:58 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,069,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
This is a good post! There are certainly plenty of fun, cool rides.

However the biggest contrast may really be in the "boring" and "average" cars. 30 years ago, most average and affordable cars were slow, handled poorly, braked badly, rusted quick, etc. Today, just about any car sold by a major manufacturer will last 10 times as long, physically and mechanically, they ride and handle 100 times better, are quicker, stop better, are more comfortable, are far safer in collissions, and have standard the features deamed as luxury items in the past.

If you bought a new 1980 Ford Fairmont, with a gas sucking 94 HP 3.3L I6, vinyl bench seat, crank windows, manual locks, no air conditioner and single speaker AM radio, and you could look ahead to today, you would think a modern family car was VERY cool.
Couldn't agree more!

Old 07-27-2012, 01:24 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
[quote=hoffdano;25363135]I think a lot of people are forgetting how bad (and uncool) so many cars of the past were.

For every Challenger, we had twenty cars that sucked.

Quote:
Gremlin
the gremlin was just a hornet wagon with the back cut off. it was unique.

Quote:
Pontiac Sunbird
depends on the year you are talking about. they had suspension issues, like the monza on which it was based, but they could be easily corrected. the monza/sunbird/skyhawk cars were pretty neat overall.

Quote:
Ford Galaxie
actually the galaxie from 1963 through 1970 were all pretty neat cars, especially imo the 65 and 66 galaxies.

Quote:
Anything Buick
anything buick? including the GS, the gn and gnx? buick also made some pretty neat cars over the years. by the way the GS was the same chassis that the olds 442 was based on.

Quote:
Anything Olds except the 442
how about the vista cruiser wagon?

Quote:
Anything Mercury except the Cougar
you forget about the parklane, montego, cyclone, cyclone spoiler, cyclone spoiler 2, capri, comet(the 60s comet in this case though the 70s comet were also neat).

Quote:
Chevy Caprice
the caprice from 77 to about 88 or so, especially the 9-C-1 police package cars were a blast to drive.

Quote:
Ford Fairmont
now now dont get down on the fairmont. yes it was a utilitarian sedan, BUT EVERYTHING that fits the fox body mustangs also fits the fairmont. remember that the fox body mustangs were basically restyled fairmonts.

Quote:
Ford Pinto
the pinto was a much better car than people give it credit for. i owned a few over the years, they were reliable and fun to drive.

Quote:
Chevy Vega
on this, and the ones i deleted, i agree, the vega for the most part was crap. the aluminum open deck linerless block with cast iron heads caused no end of engine issues, the brakes sucked badly, and the handling was for crap. they made it better in the last few years though when they replaced the original engine with the iron duke four cylinder though. and the vega body does make a nice race car after you swap in a small block chevy motor.

Quote:
Chevy Chevette
the chevette was a pretty good car, too bad chevrolet didnt do much with it.

Quote:
Ford Mustang II
dont forget that if it wasnt for the mustang ll, we would not have a mustang today. its not a bad car per say, but it came at a weird time when automakers were pushing fuel economy rather than performance. and most of the bad rep the mustang ll gets is because in 1974 there was no V8 option.

Quote:
Ford Maverick
the maverick, and the mercury comet, were both neat cars, the problem is that most people though they should be more mustang like instead of a compact economy car like the falcon was.

Quote:
Plymouth Valiant/Dodge Dart
these also were pretty fun cars. and they were the basis for the barracuda and challenger later on.

Quote:
I think the mind plays games as you age and you THINK some old cars were cool. They are only cool because they are old and different.
actually since i had actual experience with many of the cars on your list, and have compared them to more modern cars of today, i feel you are wrong. old cars were cool because they had style. i personally would rather have a 72 maverick or my old 79 fairmont over my 98 taurus wagon.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:55 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,282,410 times
Modern cars have style, too. It's just not necessarily the style YOU like. I happen to like them, as well.

I like old cars. AND new cars. For example, I find cars like the '13 Fusion to be stylish. Same with cars like the Passat CC and Caddy ATS. My BMW is newer, can be worked on myself and is stylish. So is my Mustang.

Most cars of each era are just basic cars. Old cars have tended to BECOME cool after they go through a period of simply being old, used cars, and survive. So now, a basic 4 door 50s Chevy is considered "cool" even though it was not even CLOSE to being cool when it was new. And most cars have a depreciation curve where even "Cool" cars become simply cheap used cars for a bit. Like the aforementioned Corvette bought cheaply. Hell, even classics were simply cheap used cars for a while. I remember a '60s Ford GT-40 being advertised in the early '70s for a mere $4000 because it was, at the time, merely an old uncompetetive race car that could barely be used on the street. It was only cool for a short while in the '60s, and then BECAME cool again much later after it became collectible.

Old 07-27-2012, 02:34 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
I also disagre. I am 65 and grwup in the mid 50's thru early 60's. Then the car was much mre than a means of transport.It meant freedom ;really. I knew fro the age of about eight that the car was the key to socailety as a teen. Everyone made the darag o a saturaqdy nite and makigit in my 57 Chevy with all the coutomising was as importsant as what you wore if not more so.Auto makewrs even had their own performance pat rts such as Chevy Performance POarts.Alos the family took vactions by car and the commercial song with words:Seee The USA 'In Your Cehevrolet" expressed it. SAtye of the custom car actually drove syle of production models and large powerful engines sold cars as gas was cheap.I remmber when thne34 first small foreign models became avilable and people thoguht of then as having all the stlye of a cie box and too cramped and certainly dangerous as they were built the same only smaller. Gas prices in the enbargo of the 70's really killed the american styled car taste;IMO. Right now :I would take a large Cadillac or Lincoln town car over any of the so called large luxury cars for the shear ride ;quietness and power.Style there is no question; the makers cars had vastly different look from each other compared to the follow the leader style now days.

Old 07-27-2012, 02:38 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
Duster, those are the days you could actually work on your own cars and not spend an arm and a leg getting them repaired at the shop. Ive been asked why I didnt add fuel injection to my Mustang...simple, thats half the fun of driving an old car. The heat didint even work in my first car, and I lived in NH. Id just bring a blanket along. would I have gotten rid of it because of that? absolutely not. Of course thats just my opinion.
Cars were easier to work on then - but they also needed it.

Today's cars don't even need tuneups. Spark plugs last 100K miles. Many cars today can reach 100K with just oil changes, transmission fluid changes, tires, filters, a battery, and wiper blades.

Old 07-27-2012, 02:49 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
[quote=rbohm;25367243]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I think a lot of people are forgetting how bad (and uncool) so many cars of the past were.

For every Challenger, we had twenty cars that sucked.

the gremlin was just a hornet wagon with the back cut off. it was unique.

depends on the year you are talking about. they had suspension issues, like the monza on which it was based, but they could be easily corrected. the monza/sunbird/skyhawk cars were pretty neat overall.

actually the galaxie from 1963 through 1970 were all pretty neat cars, especially imo the 65 and 66 galaxies.

anything buick? including the GS, the gn and gnx? buick also made some pretty neat cars over the years. by the way the GS was the same chassis that the olds 442 was based on.

how about the vista cruiser wagon?

you forget about the parklane, montego, cyclone, cyclone spoiler, cyclone spoiler 2, capri, comet(the 60s comet in this case though the 70s comet were also neat).

the caprice from 77 to about 88 or so, especially the 9-C-1 police package cars were a blast to drive.

now now dont get down on the fairmont. yes it was a utilitarian sedan, BUT EVERYTHING that fits the fox body mustangs also fits the fairmont. remember that the fox body mustangs were basically restyled fairmonts.

the pinto was a much better car than people give it credit for. i owned a few over the years, they were reliable and fun to drive.

on this, and the ones i deleted, i agree, the vega for the most part was crap. the aluminum open deck linerless block with cast iron heads caused no end of engine issues, the brakes sucked badly, and the handling was for crap. they made it better in the last few years though when they replaced the original engine with the iron duke four cylinder though. and the vega body does make a nice race car after you swap in a small block chevy motor.

the chevette was a pretty good car, too bad chevrolet didnt do much with it.

dont forget that if it wasnt for the mustang ll, we would not have a mustang today. its not a bad car per say, but it came at a weird time when automakers were pushing fuel economy rather than performance. and most of the bad rep the mustang ll gets is because in 1974 there was no V8 option.

the maverick, and the mercury comet, were both neat cars, the problem is that most people though they should be more mustang like instead of a compact economy car like the falcon was.

these also were pretty fun cars. and they were the basis for the barracuda and challenger later on.

actually since i had actual experience with many of the cars on your list, and have compared them to more modern cars of today, i feel you are wrong. old cars were cool because they had style. i personally would rather have a 72 maverick or my old 79 fairmont over my 98 taurus wagon.
I think your standards are very low. I have experience with many of these cars. I see nothing "neat" and certainly not "cool" in most of these cars. The Gremlin was unique in the same way that a Nissan Cube is unique. At least the Cube is mechanically a good car. We owned a Sunbird. Except for the Monza V8 (which was a fast piece of crap), there is nothing neat about these cars.

Of the cars you listed, the Mercury Capri was a special car. My college roommate had one and I loved that car. But it was German. We also had a Vista Cruiser. Kinda cool. I took it to the prom. We also had a Montego. What on earth do you think is cool about it? It wasn't fast. It didn't handle well. It had sloppy steering. I liked the deep set speedometer and gauges. Otherwise it was an OK car.

My other college roommate had a Caprice. Its lug nuts clicked and clacked all the time. It almost never started on the first three attempts. It was roomy. But neat or cool? Absolutely not.

The Galaxie was a good taxi.

I'll concede the GNX is interesting although I never saw the fascination with it.

Otherwise, most of these vehicles were mechanically average or below average, poor handling, and in most cases not even interesting looking.

Last edited by hoffdano; 07-27-2012 at 03:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive