Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 02:32 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,227,349 times

Advertisements

After living in South Florida and having experienced drivers elsewhere I sure know one thing, most drivers from here don't drive at all that well. Drivers here sometimes are so bad I don't feel safe as a pedestrian on the street. With the rise of this cellular phone technology I'd say they've become even worse!

Where should I live if I want to live with the best and safest drivers? Feel free to include other countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 07:07 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
well this only talks about fatalities: In Depth: America's Safest Drivers - No. 10. Hawaii - Forbes.com

Looks like the northeast is pretty safe! But honestly you have terrible drivers everywhere. And just so I can get my 1 generalization in for the day, stay away from areas with elderly folks. My specific town is known for older folks sticking around and I can't tell you how many drive way too slow for the rest of traffic. And you never know when they mistakenly hit the accelerator instead of the brake. One did that at a Dunkin Donuts here and killed a few folks. Unintended acceleration ain't just for Toyotas!

Old 07-31-2012, 07:32 AM

1,548 posts, read 3,034,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
After living in South Florida and having experienced drivers elsewhere I sure know one thing, most drivers from here don't drive at all that well. Drivers here sometimes are so bad I don't feel safe as a pedestrian on the street. With the rise of this cellular phone technology I'd say they've become even worse!

Where should I live if I want to live with the best and safest drivers? Feel free to include other countries.
That's not surprising. I once read an article that confirmed my suspicion: Miami has the most aggressive drivers. You said S. Florida, so I'm guessing Miami is a good representation of S. FL.

That data didn't surprise me at all because, while I've driven in NYC, LA, DC, etc. I never felt the same driver hostility as I did in Miami. It's a VERY stressful place to drive/walk, if you ask me.

As for the safest city to drive in, you need to pick a city size first, as obviously most remote rural towns will have high safety numbers, because they have so few cars (and I'm not sure that's what you're looking for).

Old 07-31-2012, 07:51 AM

15,432 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Everyone thinks that they are the best and safest driver, so the best thing to do is live where nobody else does.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:21 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
My vote is for Mackinac Island Michigan. (no cars allowed). The carraiges, bicycles and golf carts are generally driven pretty safely.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:33 AM

1,548 posts, read 3,034,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
My vote is for Mackinac Island Michigan. (no cars allowed). The carraiges, bicycles and golf carts are generally driven pretty safely.
lol Nice. Or Catalina Island, land of the 16-year wait list for a golf cart. What a fabulous place it is.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:33 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times
The safest place would be somewhere extremely unpopulated, so there aren't many drivers around to be unsafe!

Beyond that, you kind of take your chances. I am sure there are statistics out there which show cities which are less accident prone.

Old 07-31-2012, 09:05 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
This is not a quantifiable metric. Any statistical compilation of traffic casualties, enforcement history, or other data would be a reflection of many factors, only one of which would be the community attitudes about motor vehicle safety, which could not be filtered out from the rest of the data. Accident-prone cities are made accident-prone by many factors, and the fact that a city is accident-prone might actually increase the attention of most drivers to highway safety risks, relegating your statistics to nothing but a trivial paradox.

There is simply no way that any data can be assembled in such a way that that relative safety habits of drivers can be ascertained. Least useful of all is to drive around for a couple of days and observe other drivers, relying for your data on casual assumptions about a few anecdotal incidents.

For example, if you observe that in a resort area, a lot of people drive like they don't know where they are going, is it possible that in a resort area, a lot of drivers actually do not know where they are going (or at least are not familiar with the local geography and landmarks), but all things being equal, would be among the more exemplary of safe drivers?

The OP's observation about south Florida is interesting. South Florida would have the highest average age of drivers, and cellphone use is heaviest among relatively young demographics. So, in fact, a high-age population would be inverse to a high-cell-phone use population. It would be peculiar indeed if both were used as indicators of the same phenomenon.

You may now go back to your personal pet peeves about the woman who inconvenienced you in the Dairy Queen parking lot yesterday,, which proves that the world's worst drivers are in your city.

Last edited by jtur88; 07-31-2012 at 09:24 AM..

Old 07-31-2012, 01:23 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
It's been my experience that, no matter what part of the country someone comes from, he/she will claim that the drivers in their area (or from an adjoining state) are the worst to be found in the entire country.

In reality, bad drivers are everywhere, so the best thing that you can do is to take a Defensive Driving course and then apply that knowledge to your everyday driving. Rather than trying in vain to find an area where everyone drives carefully, it is more practical to just learn how to effectively deal with the bad/aggressive/unskilled/distracted drivers that you find in every state.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:33 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,227,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
It's been my experience that, no matter what part of the country someone comes from, he/she will claim that the drivers in their area (or from an adjoining state) are the worst to be found in the entire country.

In reality, bad drivers are everywhere, so the best thing that you can do is to take a Defensive Driving course and then apply that knowledge to your everyday driving. Rather than trying in vain to find an area where everyone drives carefully, it is more practical to just learn how to effectively deal with the bad/aggressive/unskilled/distracted drivers that you find in every state.

Whut?

Every time I have relatives visiting here they complain about the drivers. Every time I head up north I notice how much better the drivers are.

The drivers from Miami, you just don't know how bad they REALLY are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive