Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 09:49 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,255,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
\
(I am old school, so 4.2L is about 256 cu in). IMHO, displacement comes first (as much as possible), followed by boost, assuming all the other components (control modules, exhaust, injection unit are all properly matched).

Personally, I think the S4 is a great car. I would imagine an RS4 might be hard to find. If I recall correctly, it has something like 80 more HP than the S4.
The S4 either comes from the factory with a super charger or twin turbos(bi-turbo) depending on the year dont they? While the V8 may be "small" its very high reving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 09:51 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,499,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
The road courses are extremely expensive and nearly all of them require special training.

I understand the training but the price is unbelievable...
If I were rich for that amount of money I would just buy a track...thats how bad the prices are.
If you can't afford a track day you certainly can't afford to buy, mantain, and modify such vehicles. You'll discover this one way or another yourself.

Old 08-19-2012, 11:46 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,146,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
If you can't afford a track day you certainly can't afford to buy, mantain, and modify such vehicles. You'll discover this one way or another yourself.
I think he'll find out soon enough that he's not going to want to wrench on cars after hours. This is where he'll cast VW/Audi products aside and buy a nice Toyota Camry.

VW/Audi = expensive over rated junk that requires WorldPac on speed dial.

Old 08-19-2012, 12:17 PM

3,244 posts, read 7,451,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
The S4 either comes from the factory with a super charger or twin turbos(bi-turbo) depending on the year dont they? While the V8 may be "small" its very high reving.
Don't know....

Traditional superchargers are hard to change boost without pulley changes. Turbos are way easier; just work with the bypass valve.

HP = RPM * Torque. So, lower RPM, high torque, some horsepower; higher RPM, lower torque, some horsepower; High torque, high RPM means lots of horsepower.

I do agree that turbo's are less wasteful on the street, as they are really only 'put to use' when you need them....

Old 08-19-2012, 05:28 PM

2,631 posts, read 7,019,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
I think he'll find out soon enough that he's not going to want to wrench on cars after hours. This is where he'll cast VW/Audi products aside and buy a nice Toyota Camry.

VW/Audi = expensive over rated junk that requires WorldPac on speed dial.
I drive a Volkswagen now and wrench after hours now. I don't mind at all. I would NEVER buy a camry or a Lexus.
Reliable but they have to be some of the most boring cars I have ever driven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
I could afford it now; I just choose not to spend 1,000$ an hour to drive on a track.

Old 08-19-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
Sorry, can't help you on that one... never worked on imports. Everyone has their own preferences, and I choose the supers, but if you can get a factory turbo, there is a fair amount of tweaking you can do without a ton of work. There are numerous control module parameter programs that are available to adjust the specific parameters.
(I am assuming the super is aftermarket).
(Not that it is relevant, but we used these programs to tweak Cummins Turbodiesels, and got them to reliably put out so much torque that after a while, the transmission would just give up).
(I am old school, so 4.2L is about 256 cu in). IMHO, displacement comes first (as much as possible), followed by boost, assuming all the other components (control modules, exhaust, injection unit are all properly matched).

Personally, I think the S4 is a great car. I would imagine an RS4 might be hard to find. If I recall correctly, it has something like 80 more HP than the S4.
I may go with a supercharger come to think of it.

I HATE turbo lag..and it does only have 300 ft lbs of torque.

But I will keep the factory turbo option in mind.

The RS4 would have to be an 06 at least which is out of my price range. I hate 5 door station wagons. Why the heck did audi make the 2000 and 2001 rs4 a station wagon only?

Old 08-19-2012, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
I think you are referring to the audi rs6....
The 2002-2004 rs6 comes with a twin turbocharged V-8?
Those cars are pretty cheap. Holy cow..I should get one of those and my problems are solved...

Old 08-19-2012, 05:54 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,146,302 times
Quote:
I drive a Volkswagen now and wrench after hours now. I don't mind at all.

You say that now, but none of former seasoned coworkers relished the idea of wrenching after hours.

Old 08-19-2012, 05:59 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,255,219 times
Quote:
I think you are referring to the audi rs6....
The 2002-2004 rs6 comes with a twin turbocharged V-8?
Those cars are pretty cheap. Holy cow..I should get one of those and my problems are solved...
I know the B5 2.7 V6 was a twin turbo, I thought the B6 and B7 S4 V8 had some kinda forced induction. guess I was wrong The regular B6 S4 came with bi-turbos, and as far as I know, the RS4 has never been sold here in the US

Old 08-19-2012, 06:19 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,100,903 times
I wouldn't worry so much about winning at the drags if your choice is the Audi. It's a wonderful car with great driving dynamics and although its good at many things, drag racing may not be its forte. I've come to this understanding with my mods on my Genesis Coupe. I've just upgraded the turbo to a quick spooling unit that is good for 330whp and has been proven to break 12's in the quarter. I can almost guarantee that I will fail to hit anywhere near that if I tried but more importantly if I was disappointed I would be completely ignoring why I went this route. It's got plenty of kick and quick spooling means it will make for a great daily driver and a better track car. If my goal was to simply drag race I would get destroyed by someone with a large laggy turbo or a larger displacement engine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive