Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 08:37 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,021,827 times

Advertisements

25k budget?

If your only goal is to beat these guys at the dragstrip, i'd do it as cheaply as possible and get yourself a different "daily driver". Or, get a car that's going to drive great, perform amazing, but may not be the best drag car in the world...but could still be a sufficiently nice vehicle for a guy your age.

You could get a used late model 911 with <45,000 miles for less than 25k the GTO would be a fantastic car for the $$, very similar dynamics to the M3, just for the Aussie/American market. A G8 GT is a great car which can be had for 25k, well balanced, good horsepower and an all around good performer.

If you wanted the best drag car you could get, i'd buy myself the crappiest thirdgen camaro I could find, long as it had a V8 (Makes for an easy engine swap). Replace the tired, worn 305 with a 6.0L LSx series engine from a late model chevy truck (Less than 2k) replace the fuel injection with a carb setup and standalone ignition controller (500-600) back it with a decently built turbo 350 trans (1200), shorten the drive shaft, place on subframe connectors, cheap slicks, and a rebuilt rear end with some tall gears (500) and I bet you'd out run most of the cars on your list at the drag strip...and you could have it all done for well under 10k. Then spend 15k on a nice reliable car to drive every day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 03:48 PM

2,631 posts, read 7,019,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
25k budget?

If your only goal is to beat these guys at the dragstrip, i'd do it as cheaply as possible and get yourself a different "daily driver". Or, get a car that's going to drive great, perform amazing, but may not be the best drag car in the world...but could still be a sufficiently nice vehicle for a guy your age.

You could get a used late model 911 with <45,000 miles for less than 25k the GTO would be a fantastic car for the $$, very similar dynamics to the M3, just for the Aussie/American market. A G8 GT is a great car which can be had for 25k, well balanced, good horsepower and an all around good performer.

If you wanted the best drag car you could get, i'd buy myself the crappiest thirdgen camaro I could find, long as it had a V8 (Makes for an easy engine swap). Replace the tired, worn 305 with a 6.0L LSx series engine from a late model chevy truck (Less than 2k) replace the fuel injection with a carb setup and standalone ignition controller (500-600) back it with a decently built turbo 350 trans (1200), shorten the drive shaft, place on subframe connectors, cheap slicks, and a rebuilt rear end with some tall gears (500) and I bet you'd out run most of the cars on your list at the drag strip...and you could have it all done for well under 10k. Then spend 15k on a nice reliable car to drive every day
I'm guessing the maintenance on the 911 is through the roof and would require a bunch of specialty tools.

I'm not a fan of the camaros.

Old 08-22-2012, 03:50 PM

51 posts, read 150,038 times
turbo miata

Old 08-22-2012, 04:15 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,499,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
I'm guessing the maintenance on the 911 is through the roof and would require a bunch of specialty tools.

I'm not a fan of the camaros.
Nope.. even a current 911 is a very easy to work on car.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:09 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,021,827 times
It'll be typical german stuff...and as a guy who's working on the VW/Audi lineup already, you'll likely already have a hand up on the typical porsche owner. Parts still won't be CHEAP, but doing the work yourself always saves a ton of $$...would be a very cool car to own too.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:47 AM

2,631 posts, read 7,019,067 times
Quote:
It'll be typical german stuff...and as a guy who's working on the VW/Audi lineup already, you'll likely already have a hand up on the typical porsche owner. Parts still won't be CHEAP, but doing the work yourself always saves a ton of $$...would be a very cool car to own too.
I save a ton of money on my passat now...
If I wasn't a tech I'm sure if I still be able to afford the maintence.

heck even off the oil changes I save 50$ each time.

But I'm going to stick with the S4...I just may get a lower model year...

I really want the car and I guess thats all that matters.

Old 08-25-2012, 05:26 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,330,060 times
Quote:
25k budget?

not a big fan of 3RD gen F-bodys being made into atreet strip cars a G-body or 4th gen or a fox body Mustang is the way to go where a Carbed 383Ci Stroker SBC or a Crate 502 BBC or 408 windsor Ford to replace the 302 in the old fox body stangs a built TH-400 or 700R4 and a ford 9-inch solid rear swap with any gear Ratio you can imagine a full Roll cage and full subframe work done and you are set.

I mean a stripped out 1988 fully caged Mustang LX coupe with a well built 408 windsor stroker with a set of a mini tub slicks and a huge amount of Nitrous and for $10K and use the $15K to buy a late model BMW 7 series.

Or ask many of the posters that built and driven Rx-7 with a 5.0 conversions, S-2000 modded out, Linson had both a 4th Gen Camaro and a 5.0 Fox Body Stang, SpeedyAZ knows alot about the more Recent C6 7.0 Liter LS-7 Z06 Corvette and we alos have a poster who knows alot abnout the Grand National GSX and turbo Regal G-body's.

I mean the BMW M3 and Corvette Z06 are Benchmark cars track cars but are not made for 1/8th and 1/4 mile Drag Racing but made for being tracked at SCCA events.

Old 08-25-2012, 06:03 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,026,691 times
my daughter/son in law have a 1st gen s2000 in the 500hp range. Runs 11's on lower boost (cant dial in more at the track until it has a hardtop or is caged ) and is capable of more. Car is a beast..... When it is on the road..... But unfortunately for them has not been a DD.
All the custom turbo work in the world doesnt stop the rear issues it's had, not to mention other bugs that have plagued it. Put in one good part, another takes a dump. Now they enjoy working on the car and may continue to do so, but there are probably "better" ways to get into the 10's or beyond then push a 4cyl that hard though they do have something that not everyone else has.
I'd guess that most of us here that either have had or have performance cars that were modded; also have had times where they just dont run the way we want them to. If it's truly a hobby that is enjoyed, not only building and driving but repairing, then dig in, build something unique, and have some fun with it. But if one is more inclined to rather pay the bill and expect it to be fast and always on the road when called upon, then my suggestion would be to start with something that already has a good base for the strip. While that ride may be more common, it may also be easier on the wallet. And as the old saying goes, there will always be someone faster....
just my .02

Old 08-26-2012, 11:04 PM

7,005 posts, read 21,342,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
I'd be most worried about the EVO and STi. Their AWD drivetrains make them potent on a drag strip as they can take down more powerful RWD cars.
Yeah that^^^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive