Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 07:39 AM

881 posts, read 2,091,564 times

Advertisements

Hmm. Let's see - dealership does big song 'n dance they don't ever intend to actually follow up with (a Toyota store advert. long lived engines - shocking, I know). In other news, water remains wet, dogs bite man.

Seriously, though, best of luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 08:16 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,645,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by straight shooter View Post
Lifetime warranty on the engine.

When something sounds too good to be true, it usually is.
I don't know the details, probably fishy but I believe dodge offers a lifetime warranty for original owner on New vehicles.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Old 09-08-2012, 09:31 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,537,374 times
Since you live in the Tidewater area, call "10 on your side". I am sure they would love to get hold of a story like this.

Old 09-08-2012, 09:38 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poloi3eai2 View Post
I found my Priorities For Life Warranty that I signed when I bought the car. Here's what it says under one of the bullets

WHAT THIS WARRANTY DOES NOT COVER
-Any costs or other benefit for which the manufacturer has announced its responsibility through any means including public recalls or factory service bulletins.

Do I still have an argument or am I pretty much f*cked?

Is the camshaft part of the list of things they -do- cover?
Is there an actual malfunction on your car or are you asking them to do a pre-emptive fix based on a TSB?

Old 09-08-2012, 10:19 AM

404 posts, read 1,147,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Is the camshaft part of the list of things they -do- cover?
Is there an actual malfunction on your car or are you asking them to do a pre-emptive fix based on a TSB?
Yup the camshaft is listed on the number of things they cover
There is a malfunction and I found the TSB that exactly describes the problem

Old 09-08-2012, 02:08 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,815,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangeater82 View Post
i never heard of a lifetime warranty on a toyota before.

why would they need to one if you ask people on this board they will run forever, run off of butterfly farts.

sent from my pc36100 using tapatalk 2
LMFAO

I didn't know they had a lifetime warranty either. I think the whole Toyota and Honda experience is Kool-Aid driven in the first place. These cars never need service. Never need parts...if they do they are always readily available and cheap..... Now we have an engine that lasts forever and if it konks, it's someone elses fault and they should foot the bill.

Unbelievable!!

Drink up on that Kool-Aid guys!

Old 09-08-2012, 02:18 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,815,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by straight shooter View Post
Lifetime warranty on the engine.

When something sounds too good to be true, it usually is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
Sorry I didn't expand.

I did not think Toyota had lifetime or even 100k warranties. Its a bull**** aftermarket warranty most likely that will likely never cover anything.

Just learned some issues with how toyota deals with their customers and catastrophic failures of the engine specifying camshafts.

My buddies FJ Cruiser with like 75k. Happened to him on a roadtrip across states, he had to rent a uhaul and tow it to his new destination.
It would take an American too see it!

Old 09-08-2012, 03:26 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverboat Gambler View Post

I didn't know they had a lifetime warranty either. I think the whole Toyota and Honda experience is Kool-Aid driven in the first place. These cars never need service. Never need parts...if they do they are always readily available and cheap..... Now we have an engine that lasts forever and if it konks, it's someone elses fault and they should foot the bill.
It depends on what Priority defines "lifetime" as. Or maybe its a parts warranty only? One of my cars is a 2000 Lexus RX300 with nearly 250k on it. Except for normal maintenance and a few sensors going bad, its never had an engine problem and each time it goes in for its oil change and multipoint inspection they've found nothing wrong with it. That being said, those of us who have a J at the beginning of the VIN seem to have nearly no problems yet those with a number do.

Old 09-08-2012, 04:09 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,645,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
It depends on what Priority defines "lifetime" as. Or maybe its a parts warranty only? One of my cars is a 2000 Lexus RX300 with nearly 250k on it. Except for normal maintenance and a few sensors going bad, its never had an engine problem and each time it goes in for its oil change and multipoint inspection they've found nothing wrong with it. That being said, those of us who have a J at the beginning of the VIN seem to have nearly no problems yet those with a number do.
My inlaws had a 99 RX300, the alternator went out at 75k (not the worst ever I guess) except no one local had a replacement one, except the dealer, local auto stores, and shops

This happened on a saturday evening(dealer closed) while they visited us from out of town. They had to stay sunday(dealer closed), both take the day off work monday and pay to have it towed to the dealer. And to top it off, I think it was like a $600 or $700 job.

So they are fallible!

They traded it on a new one, the new one was decent, but had low ground clearance for their vacation home in the mountains. Had a problem with that but nothing really else. Later traded it in at around 100k on a new hybrid 400H, thats been in and out of the shop a dozen or so times with check engine lights and some dash electrical issues.

Its almost like they are average complex luxury vehicles that have some issues and average reliability. Wait, its a lexus, means its a derivitave of a Toyota....

IT WILL NEVER BREAK, NEVER NEEDS FLUIDS, TIRES, OR BRAKES!!!!!

Its as bad as when I have a coworker seem baffled when they need to do liek $800 in repairs to their AC. They just put new tires on and got fluids changed, the car should be running fine.

Old 09-08-2012, 04:14 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,592,094 times
I live in VAB, and I'm glad you posted this. I was thinking about getting my next car from them because the deal does seem good. I didn't realize it was a limited warranty. I have to wonder why there is no recall for the issue though since it happens enough for a memo to be put out.

ETA: I agree call 10 on your side! People need to know about this!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive