Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 10:48 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,821,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drawk04 View Post
A very odd tragedy, Im sorry to hear that.
Seatbelts don't always release, doors don't always open or unlock...windows don't break easily and fires never break out in a crash and the whole car is engolfed in flames in seconds. Have a plan.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 10:52 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,821,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverboat Gambler View Post
Seatbelts don't always release, doors don't always open or unlock...windows don't break easily and fires never break out in a crash and the whole car is engolfed in flames in seconds. Have a plan.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
It's like the guy who was eaten by a bear because he was dressed in a salmon suit. Unfortunate but unlikely to be repeated.
You can say that again.

Kershaw Blur model 1670S30V: Knife Review - YouTube

Old 09-21-2012, 04:57 AM

9,913 posts, read 9,620,066 times
Hi and thanks for your answers - even the ones that make me laugh! hey I'm not the only one who hates some of the technology like power door locks and power windows. wow renting various cars - I see all the various ways each car has its own systems which are not universal re the locking and unlocking of things. So each time i rent a car I have to get used to whatever surprises they give me. Like the Impala - they have the P-R-N-D-L up on the dashboard, but I was used to that being on the thing that you use to put it into p-r-n-d-l.

I guess I'm used to manual things and it is cheaper, though I may have to accept it as the current technology and be forced to use it. Mainly until I got used to it, when my friend and I would go out for the day, he would lock the door and then I would unlock the door because both of us are trying to lock the door and we would undo each other. Drove me nuts. Then after turning off the engine, I'd be walking to the store and he'd have to call me back to re-turn on the engine so that he could roll up the window.

The other technology that drove me a bit nuts was daylight lights. They stay on all the time till a few minutes after the engine goes off. It bugged me to leave the car with the headlights on, and then they'd go off a few minutes later. But I would want the lights to go off, because of the old school thinking that it burns out the battery to leave your lights on.

And each car has its own seat adjustment, I'm sorry I didn't know about the Rav 4 seat being too high till i looked at it online to see what was the problem with this SUV having not much leg room.

My fave cars are the Rogue and the Mazda (either 3 or 5 I cant remember) perfect leg room and perfect inside room so the bucket seat doesn't squeeze you too much.

I'm thinking ahead of the future, I dont take it to work so it would be for vacations and for going shopping and joy riding when i need to get out of the city and so I am thinking of mileage. The cars I like seem to have 19-25 miles to the gallon but the comfort rules vs my smaller kia which I had till last year but it caused my knees to cramp after only an hour. But it had great mileage - not so great on a long trip in the car.

I like the Impala but it gets suck mileage at about 20 miles to the gallon. It has a huge trunk that goes onto infinity, so when my package bumped all the way to the farthest side of the trunk, i had to just about climb in to retrieve it.

I know you are probably all laughing at me, but I am middle aged and so I kinda like some things to be simple (and cheaper to fix when things wig out) I like some aspects of the old cars before all the technology (and expense to fix) came about. I'm just used to it, and probably have some old fashioned things we were supposed to always look out for, i.e. making sure your headlights were out before leaving your car. but the more I rent cars, I am getting used to it better,

Old 09-21-2012, 05:15 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,029,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
It seems like power door locks and power windows could be an asset or liability, i.e. i prefer manual door locks and manual windows because of several reasons (easier to use, dont have to have the power on to unlock/lock windows/doors
You're only half right here, I have never seen a car that required the ignition to be on for the power locks to function, windows yes.

Old 09-21-2012, 05:21 AM

9,913 posts, read 9,620,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
You're only half right here, I have never seen a car that required the ignition to be on for the power locks to function, windows yes.
I can't remember if all my rental cars had that or not. I'm just now getting used to using the key to lock and unlock the doors. I am so "old school" that I guess its pitiful! But if i get a car and the child lock is on, I can't seem to be able to unlock the passenger's side too well without hitting that spot on the key several times to get it to work right.

Old 09-21-2012, 05:26 AM

Any quirks like that would be a problem with the specific car/key fob, not the technology itself.

Old 09-21-2012, 06:51 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,314,098 times
There's also a difference in owning something rather than renting it, as you get used to any specific functions pretty quickly when you own a car.

But reading what you couldn't figure out, I have to wonder...

Did you grow up in the backwoods driving a Model T? Other than keyless start buttons, most of what you complain about have been in cars for almost 3 decades. Seat adjustment? Really?

I like the tech, but I'm a middle aged technophile. I grew up on simple cars decades ago but have no problems with modern car tech. I loved my BMW's tech features, from heated seats to the way you could close the windows and sunroof by holding the lock button down on the remote when you went to lock the car after getting out. For most cars, you dont have to start the engine up to roll up windows or roll them down, they will do that with the key in the accessory position. On my MINI, the key only has to be in it to make the windows and sunroof operate.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:03 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,253,608 times
Yes, OP, technology stinks. I can't check my own transmission fluid level, no dipstick, a dealership has to perform that function. Obviously, automakers don't want drivers to touch their cars.
I have one key for keyless entry, a spare keyless entry fob is $128, I can get just a key for $25 to open the 2 doors, but it will not start the car.
I hate technology, I still own a dumb phone-no email-no touch screen-no bells-no whistles-no internet.

OP, I don't believe you can find a vehicle these days without all of what you're looking for (no electronics) unless maybe if you special order and that'll cost extra probably.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
I have one key for keyless entry, a spare keyless entry fob is $128, I can get just a key for $25 to open the 2 doors, but it will not start the car.
Just curious as to what car you drive? AFAIK cars come with 2 fobs, you bought used maybe?

Old 09-21-2012, 07:13 AM

24,450 posts, read 23,124,128 times
Manual windows might be more expensive to put on a car then an automatic one, I dunno. Power windows and locks are convenient so I don't think they're goiing to be an option. But I would not want a touch screen or voice activated control. I'm not really even keen on steering wheel mounted controls. DVD players in a car? Have your ADHD kid look out the window or play with a toy, give them a chance to grow some brain cells. Blue tooth? No. Keep your mind on the road, Nerdlinger. GPS? Read a road map, figure out how to get where you want to go without vegetating. back up camera? What, you can't park? Please stop driving.
Be one with the road. Let the car be an extension of oneself. Know whats going on around you and enjoy the driving experience. Be alert and tuned in. You don't need mindless distractions or to let your driving skills be limited by techno garbage. Much of which is designed to break in a few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive