Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 08:07 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,538,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
"Bad" cyclists are far more annoying than "bad" drivers. At least you can usually easily get around bad drivers.
Which one is more likely to KILL another person with their vehicle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 09:07 AM

471 posts, read 978,664 times
I agree with alot of the previous posts by drivers, really can't stand some cyclists that I come across. I have no problem with the ones who are just some average kid out wandering around or someone just going to work, but the types who are usually wearing the tell-tale spandex (no people, it does NOT look good on you!) and are usually riding with more of the same 2 or 3 or more across, not going single file as they should. The supreme ignorance I feel eminating from these people does not breed kind thoughts towards them. I think that they do not or should not have the same rights on the road as motorists, who pay road taxes, have to license, title, and insure their vehicles, or should. When I see cyclists blasting thru the red lights and stop signs and not stopping, or cutting across all the lanes in groups because they just don't want to signal or wait, or a group who does not ride single file to let the miles of cars and trucks pass, I can only wish for and wonder where the cops or other concerned citizens are who could do something about it.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:57 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,538,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryCarr View Post
I think that they do not or should not have the same rights on the road as motorists, who pay road taxes, have to license, title, and insure their vehicles, or should.
Most adult bicyclists also own cars, so they are paying. In fact, since a bicycle causes almost zero damage to roadways vs. a car, you could be say that they are overpaying in registration fees, real estate, and road building taxes if they don't drive very often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryCarr View Post
I can only wish for and wonder where the cops or other concerned citizens are who could do something about it.
Hey, don't wish, do something about it! Contact your local precinct or councilperson, get a petition going, etc. Working towards fixing a problem beats complaining about it.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:24 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,966,490 times
The biggest problem is not the bicyclist or the guy in the car. They bigger problem is that there are not enough roads with bike paths. Trust me, if there were more bicycle paths more people would stay out of the vehicles way.

Old 09-26-2012, 11:03 AM

2,398 posts, read 3,839,870 times
"The problem is that we don't ban idiots from operating vehicles. That includes bikes and cars."

I'd ride my bicycle on shorter errands/trips more if there weren't so many terrible drivers.

On the flip side, we almost hit a bicyclist at a four way stop a few years ago. We had just started to pull out of the stop (with our "lard" arses in a gas guzzling SUV) when a cyclist on the sidewalk to our right popped out from under a tree canopy on a tight steep and blind hill going like blazes, way too fast too stop for the crossing and he caught my peripheral vision. I yelled, my husband braked hard, the cyclist veered to pass in front of us by inches. He didn't even have the common sense or courtesy to give the "I was an idiot, thanks" wave. He would have broadsided us without our stop. Idiot. He would have been injured or killed and we would have been entangled in a huge mess that wasn't our fault. I was moved enough to write a letter to the editor about safe biking, something these folks probably don't read anyway.

Because of multiple incidents like the one I described that ended poorly, the AK DMV has started to run commercials explaining that when on a sidewalk a bicyclist is considered a pedestrian. When on a road they are considered a vehicle are are bound to the rules and laws of both venues. Hopefully that commercial will pierce the void a bit.

Unfortunately there are fools in cars and fools on bikes, both will ruin your day or worse if you happen to trade paint with either.

Old 09-26-2012, 12:11 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,703,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
The biggest problem is not the bicyclist or the guy in the car. They bigger problem is that there are not enough roads with bike paths. Trust me, if there were more bicycle paths more people would stay out of the vehicles way.
The lack of true bicycle roads and right of way in many places in America is slowly, very slowly, changing to more roads just for cyclist.

One of the main problems is......Money. Yep, money or the lack of it to build separate roads and spaces to both encourage cycling as an everyday mode of travel in urban settings.

The money could be generated with a license fee same as cars that is used to pay for and maintain our roadways.

Old 09-26-2012, 12:12 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,283,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
As always, right on target G'Pipes

Im a bike commuter and never have run-ins with drivers. I plan my route on side streets, stop at all signs and have no problem letting people by when I can, even though its usually cars clogging our streets and slowing everything down, around here . . . In short, I couldnt care less about making a statement, I just want to get to work and maybe see a birdie or two along the way Live and let live.
It might come as a surprise to car drivers, but those spandex-powerranger NASCAR bike guys are our worst enemy. Because they are the most visible, large bloc of selfish lawbreakers, they are making it very hard for we humble gutter bunnies to conduct our affairs and distance ourselves from their antics. We are the first people to hope police start to crack down and issue tickets to these J.A's en masse
Interesting P.O.V. The spandex crowd I ride with obey traffic laws, with a few rolling stops mingled in. It is legal to ride 2 abreast in our state, but we will ride single file on busier roads and when we know we have cars behind us. This is on mainly country, exurban roads. The commuter's I notice are crazy maniacs who ride down the center of busy streets, blow through red lights and go the wrong way down one way streets. The reality is we notice the d-bags and don't really notice the smarter safer cyclist or motorist. We have humble gutter bunnies in our club and we all get along.

Old 09-26-2012, 12:29 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,966,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
The lack of true bicycle roads and right of way in many places in America is slowly, very slowly, changing to more roads just for cyclist.

One of the main problems is......Money. Yep, money or the lack of it to build separate roads and spaces to both encourage cycling as an everyday mode of travel in urban settings.

The money could be generated with a license fee same as cars that is used to pay for and maintain our roadways.
I would gladly pay a licensing fee if it went to pay for bike paths to commute.

Old 09-26-2012, 01:17 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,973,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
The spandex crowd I ride with obey traffic laws, with a few rolling stops mingled in.
rolling stops? So you run stop signs?

Old 09-26-2012, 05:12 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,703,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcu25rs View Post
rolling stops? So you run stop signs?
Yes, that is exactly what that means. When people post crap like that they are justifying in their own mind they are breaking the law just because they are on a bicycle. It's still breaking the law!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive