Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 01:36 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,022,277 times

Advertisements

Learn to keep your foot off the brake. Every time you touch the brake, you are converting kinetic energy (which you paid for at the pump) into wasted heat.

Look far enough ahead to anticipate stops or slowdowns, and take your foot off the gas to coast down to that point. You waste gas and save very little time if you use the throttle to maintain speed up to a stop sign and then fully brake from running speed. Take your foot off the gas 10 or 15 seconds before the stop sign, and then brake from a lower speed when you get there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 01:41 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,190,673 times
No one has asked what kind of car the OP drives????

Maybe he is getting good mileage for that vehicle and there is nothing he can do about it.

Old 09-27-2012, 02:43 PM

458 posts, read 1,249,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
No one has asked what kind of car the OP drives????

Maybe he is getting good mileage for that vehicle and there is nothing he can do about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bx4Life View Post
I Drive A Small 4 Door Sedan ... Cant Seem to drive economically .. any tips ?
He's going to get the same tips for driving economically no matter what small sedan he drives.

Old 09-27-2012, 04:15 PM

890 posts, read 2,786,599 times
I drive 60 miles round trip to work, 5 days/week, through West Los Angeles freeway traffic.

Had an 11 year old, 6 cyl SUV, gasoline $50 every 4 days. Maintenance was getting expensive as parts need replacing.

Spent $25k on a new hybrid, paying $500/month, gas is $30 every 8 days. I should have done it sooner where Cash for Clunkers scheme was available.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:09 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,280,619 times
Turn your A/C off. Drive at a consistent speed within the speed limit.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:20 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,624,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Drive the speed limit or less. When I first started doing this, I felt like I was being rude to other drivers behind me. Now I get a kick out of the fact that other people are wasting their money on extra gas that they wouldn't have to buy if they were as smart as me. Plus I enjoy my car, so I have no reason to minimize my time in my car. And I haven't gotten a speeding ticket in 15 years.
Same here. I found by driving the speed limit I get twice the mileage as when I do when driving with the flow at 20 mph over the limit.
I am driving a 2008 Ford 4x4 with a V8. 55 on the freeway even if in a 65/70 gives me 27 mpg, speeding gives me 15 mpg.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:52 PM

142 posts, read 316,150 times
Hello Everyone !

- i have a 1997 mitsubishi mirage .. i calculated i have about 23-26 mpg combined..

tomorrow i will check the tire pressure . i just washed my car like 2 days ago i will get on it with the wax.. thanks everyone for all your kind advice

Old 09-27-2012, 11:55 PM

142 posts, read 316,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville1 View Post
All four tires should be the same model and size recommended by your vehicle manufacturer. Tires should be properly inflated with same pressure in all tires. Wheels should be properly aligned and balanced.

If you've been running cheap gas in your vehicle, buy a bottle of Chevron Techrolene at your local auto parts store or Chevron station and follow the directions... be sure to add it to the gas tank on a empty tank just before filling up. You can check reviews of this product at Amazon.com. I was a doubter, but it worked wonders on my 06 4Runner. I am now getting 22 mpg combined mileage. And I drive fast on the freeway.

When you are stopped and want to move forward, don't mash the pedal. Imagine there is a raw egg under the pedal and if you push it too hard too fast, it will break and make a big raw egg mess all over your floor and shoes. Easy does it. But don't go so slow as to **** everyone behind you off lest you set up a accident by a road rager.

Don't race up to a red light or stop. Use your vehicle's momentum to take you there. This will also save on brakes. If you're on a street with lots of signals, they're typically timed. Pay attention to the signals way ahead and drive accordingly. .

Believe it or not, a clean and waxed vehicle gets better fuel economy. Just waxing the front and hood of your vehicle can make a difference. I even use auto wax on my windshield. Think of it this way; Your vehicle is pushing air out of the way as it moves forward. If the vehicles surface is slick, the air will be less resistant.
Thanks for your advice

Old 09-28-2012, 01:59 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,233,018 times
What kind of environment are you driving in? Obviously you'll get much better mileage toodling around the periphery of Gobble Knob Tennessee than the surface streets of Queens New York.

Old 09-28-2012, 04:46 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,336,651 times
I personally drive an economical car (Yaris) drive easy,never go over the speed limit,try to avoid the brakes as using them is just scrubbing off speed you paid to get to.keep tires at correct psi.avoid driving if possible, rather than running the car multiple time for different needs try to do everything in one outing, keeping the car in top mechanical shape.
Heres a hundred other tips
100+ Hypermiling / ecodriving tips & tactics for better mpg - EcoModder.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive