Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 08:14 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,775,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Scuff the existing paint and really get it clean before you prime. Then go slow and watch for runs.
There is a little bit of body work to do too, smooth out some dents, sand out some rust patches. Mainly the passenger door. I am thinking I'd apply paint with an HVLP gun. I have like two other projects ahead of paining the pickup. It is also my 4x4, so it might be my winter driving outfit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 08:34 AM

3,183 posts, read 7,204,051 times
That paint drys slow and will show scratches . Its best to add some "japan dryer" to it first to help it dry hard.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:28 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,316,613 times
Man soemone should use the paint gun you get to paint the fence and use it to spray a few coasts on since it willl be alot faster than spary paint cans nand give so even flow and coverage or matybe not just throwing that idea out there.

If you try it and it works then it was a good idea if not then it was one of those things where it sounded good idea at the time and if you do not end up with a nice painted car you can still put a nice fresh coat of paint on the fence and it willl look pretty nice.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:36 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,680,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
My BF's looked up numerous YouTube videos where people paint their cars themselves using Rustoleum paint, but all the videos say the've painted w/ $50 Rustoleum paint. Is there some certain TYPE of Rustoleum brand paint that costs $50? My BF's puzzled as to why so many people say that same amount ($50).

Any help you can give would be great!
Could it be that $50 is the total it cost to paint the car??

When I was younger many of the farm boys (in the 1960's) used to pull the old beater in the barn and we'd brush paint the car with any handy enamel paint. Sometimes, we'd paint the same car 5 or 6 different colors in the same year!! It was great fun !!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-04-2012, 08:47 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
a friend of mine has used rattle cans for years to paint most of his cars. his paint of choice for years was krylon, but the changed the formula on him, and now he is using rustoleum. as the others have said, if you want a decent result be prepared to spend A LOT of time sanding and buffing the paint.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:58 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,023,427 times
I wet sanded & grey primed (rattle can) my hood 3 yrs ago & it still looks good. I spray painted my trunk & the surface rust is showing now. Ill rattle can spray it next summer (maybe). My car is 27 y/o so i could care less about a paint job, vinyl top, windshield, headliner & sun visors.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:56 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,926,197 times
I tried this a while back, but the paint has to be ridiculously thin to get it to atomise properly through the sprayer, and it tends to run off the car.

that said, these little sprayers have improved a bit in recent years, so maybe they could cope now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
Man soemone should use the paint gun you get to paint the fence and use it to spray a few coasts on since it willl be alot faster than spary paint cans nand give so even flow and coverage or matybe not just throwing that idea out there.

If you try it and it works then it was a good idea if not then it was one of those things where it sounded good idea at the time and if you do not end up with a nice painted car you can still put a nice fresh coat of paint on the fence and it willl look pretty nice.

Old 10-05-2012, 05:02 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,240,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
My BF's looked up numerous YouTube videos where people paint their cars themselves using Rustoleum paint, but all the videos say the've painted w/ $50 Rustoleum paint. Is there some certain TYPE of Rustoleum brand paint that costs $50? My BF's puzzled as to why so many people say that same amount ($50).

Any help you can give would be great!
Oh boy. and here I thought my brother was the only dunce upon the earth!

I came home one day from work, my brother is in the driveway, one gallon of blue rustoleum, and a 3 inch paint brush.
I asked him dave, wtheck are you doing!
He replied, what's it look like, I'm painting my car!
I said, with a brush!!???
He replied, well, what was I supposed to do, use my hand????!!!!
omg

Old 10-05-2012, 05:11 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,680,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Oh boy. and here I thought my brother was the only dunce upon the earth!

I came home one day from work, my brother is in the driveway, one gallon of blue rustoleum, and a 3 inch paint brush.
Believe it or not it's very possible to get a really decent enamel paint job by using a very good quality brush on a super clean (NO dirt/dust) car with some sanding and a steady hand with lots of patients.

Old 10-05-2012, 05:22 PM

29,483 posts, read 14,643,964 times
You get what you pay for.. LOL there is a reason some paint jobs cost $10,000 and up ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive