Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 10:36 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I have a 2004 Ford Explorer. It's my main vehicle, and it's paid for.

It has just under 100K miles.

It has not had any unusual problems, just the normal maintenance.

Recently, the loud roaring noise I thought was a problem with the tires has been diagnosed by two mechanics, one at the dealership and one a trusted independent, as a "problem" with the rear differential. That's as much detail as they both have given me. The dealership mechanic has told me it could range from $1200 to $2K to repair.

I have been quoted a $7K trade-in value on this vehicle.

I've never dealt with rear differential issues before, so please add any insight on that.

Also would appreciate advice on whether to fix and keep forever (pass on to college-bound kid in a couple of years) or trade now without repair.

Go to your local salvage yard and get a used rear axle assy. Shouldn't cost all that much and you can probably bolt it in place in 4 hours, worst case. Less if you have some experience turning wrenches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 11:43 AM

2 posts, read 7,436 times
I have a 2008 Lincoln town car July 2014 I had the car at the dealer because I could not get rid of a vibration. We put in new U joints and the vibration went away. But the dealer cracked the rear end while it was in their shop tried to say it was that way when I bought it in but my mechanic said no way. The dealer replaced the differincial with a used one repaired the right wheel axle with a kit and within 2 months my mechanic had to replace the right wheel axle in oct. 5 months later that axle is no good. My mechanic says that the differencial that they put in the car is what is causing the axle to go bad and that the one they put in the car is not the same one that was in the car originally. The dealer is not replacing the two rear axles for $400. my cost . They are saying a bad differencial will not cause the axles to go bad. My question is why then would they replace the rear axles for that amount of money (which I know is cheap) if they don't think the differencial they put in is the problem? Can a bad differencial cause the axle bearing to continue to go bad?

Old 03-31-2015, 12:47 PM

2 posts, read 7,436 times
I have a 2008 Lincoln town car July 2014 I had the car at the dealer because I could not get rid of a vibration. We put in new U joints and the vibration went away. But the dealer cracked the rear end while it was in their shop tried to say it was that way when I bought it in but my mechanic said no way. The dealer replaced the differincial with a used one repaired the right wheel axle with a kit and within 2 months my mechanic had to replace the right wheel axle in oct. 5 months later that axle is no good. My mechanic says that the differencial that they put in the car is what is causing the axle to go bad and that the one they put in the car is not the same one that was in the car originally. The dealer is not replacing the two rear axles for $400. my cost . They are saying a bad differencial will not cause the axles to go bad. My question is why then would they replace the rear axles for that amount of money (which I know is cheap) if they don't think the differencial they put in is the problem? Can a bad differencial cause the axle bearing to continue to go bad?

Old 04-01-2015, 08:56 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,972,072 times
I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500, 360, auto, 4X4.
It started making noise from the rear axle, and it was getting louder, so I took it to a shop to find out what was going on, thinking axle bearings.
The whole rear axle was worn out.
$1000 later, the truck is quiet. They went to a wrecking yard and got a complete axle to replace the worn out one.
The truck has 195,000 miles on it.
the repair cost about 1/5 of what replacement would cost, IF I could find another one.

Old 10-23-2017, 01:03 PM

1 posts, read 2,306 times
If the rear end makes a clunk clunk noise is that a rear differental problem?
I have been quoted $1,200 to replace tje rear end in a 2002 ford explorer 4x4.
If i do replace the entire rear end, will that solve rear differential problems or or is tjere a way to fix rear differential? Or any reccomendations?

Old 10-23-2017, 02:08 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
The dealership mechanic has told me it could range from $1200 to $2K to repair.
Find a good indy mechanic and that price will likely drop to $800. If so, that seem worth doing the repair to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive