Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 10:23 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,430,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
DRL or as I call them "dim bulbs" - make it look like "hey, GM built a car for people too damn dumb to turn on the headlights when they are needed".

DRL's arn't for night time use anyway, or incliment weather for that matter. They are to make your vehicle more visible during the day. I don't really understand the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
My wife's 2005 Toyota Corolla had daytime running lights and I never once needed to replace them in the seven years we owned the car.

Sadly that car was totaled last month when an errant driver hit the gas instead of the brake and ran in to the back of it.

That's a write off? Yikes. Glad I have a full boxed in frame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 10:24 PM

3,953 posts, read 5,091,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Grizz that Corolla looks in way too nice a shape on the side to be totaled, wow! Must be a lot of damage underneath that can't be straightened, too bad....
It was hit so hard that it pushed my wife in to the car in front of her.

It's difficult to tell from my first picture but the rear quarter panels were buckled and that's probably why the insurance company totaled it.

As a testament to how well Toyotas hold their value the insurance company gave us $10,500 for a car we paid $16,200 back in 2005.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:30 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,430,926 times
Quote:
It was hit so hard that it pushed my wife in to the car in front of her.

It's difficult to tell from my first picture but the rear quarter panels were buckled and that's probably why the insurance company totaled it.

As a testament to how well Toyotas hold their value the insurance company gave us $10,500 for a car we paid $16,200 back in 2005.

Yeah, I thought I saw that around the gas tank, but i wasn't sure if it was the contour of the body or not.

Old 11-01-2012, 04:46 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,907,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I, too, have noticed so many cars, today, with a headlight out, no matter what the make, and this may well be a factor, the difficulty in replacing them and the expense involved. I have it too easy, I'm still holding on to my 1985 Toyota Supra for dear life, but when I look at many of these new cars, their headlights/taillights, I can only imagine how difficult it must be to replace the bulbs on these cars!

If I should do something stupid some day, and trade in my 85 Toyota on a new one, the salesman is going to be barraged with questions, like: How much to replace a bulb, how easy to replace the bulb, how easy to replace this, that, and whatever!

"Aha! I'll have to come to the dealer to replace a bulb?"

Go take a long, long walk!!!
When I've looked at a couple of new cars over the last few months (we've actually considered several things from the measly Chevy Spark to a Lexus CT and a Caddy SRX) I look at the headlights under the hood to see how bad this is. Even on the Spark, the headlights don't need a body shop. (Speaking of body shops, my friend who worked as a VW dealer tech told me that to do a number of things on the old New Beetle, they'd take off the front bumper.)

The other thing that scares me about light replacement nowadays are my LED taillights. I'm wondering how much THAT'S going to cost. I don't imagine Aura taillights are plentiful at junkyards, either.

Old 11-01-2012, 04:49 PM

Quote:
My wife's 2005 Toyota Corolla had daytime running lights and I never once needed to replace them in the seven years we owned the car.

Sadly that car was totaled last month when an errant driver hit the gas instead of the brake and ran in to the back of it.
I've seen worse driving around SE MI. Pull the bumper off and someone around here would drive it. Doesn't even matter if the airbags deployed. I just love having no safety inspections. I just saw an '08 body style Malibu with nearly every body panel damaged driving around.

Old 11-01-2012, 05:22 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,093,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by us66 View Post
When I've looked at a couple of new cars over the last few months (we've actually considered several things from the measly Chevy Spark to a Lexus CT and a Caddy SRX) I look at the headlights under the hood to see how bad this is. Even on the Spark, the headlights don't need a body shop. (Speaking of body shops, my friend who worked as a VW dealer tech told me that to do a number of things on the old New Beetle, they'd take off the front bumper.)

The other thing that scares me about light replacement nowadays are my LED taillights. I'm wondering how much THAT'S going to cost. I don't imagine Aura taillights are plentiful at junkyards, either.
I think the LED's will hold up pretty well. My 2003 G35 still had every LED lit when I sold it late last year (8 years). I also leave my lights on 24/7 whether its dark or not so they got some healthy usage.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:08 PM

The example that worries me is the CHMSL on 90's-early '00s Cadillac Sevilles- nearly every one has LEDs out on it that I've seen.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:34 AM

Very strange, I went up to visit my friend in Berlin, Maryland (Ocean Pines, actually) and very few cars there had either a burnt out DRL or headlight. What gives?!

Old 11-16-2012, 08:50 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,449,469 times
Back when I lived in MA, having one headlight out made it open-season for the police to pull you over. Only thing worse was a failed inspection sticker.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
Back when I lived in MA, having one headlight out made it open-season for the police to pull you over. Only thing worse was a failed inspection sticker.
I know, right. Back in the day the man was all over you for having a headlight out or a crack in your windshield.

What's really surprising is that my small town has devolved in to a police state by literally increasing the number of cars in the fleet by nearly a factor of five. So it's all that more surprising that so many cars in my town have pediddles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive