Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 12:54 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,089,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I feel there are way to many people in the USA, that simply cannot afford a car period. I'm talking about the vehicle itself, and everything else involved with the ownership of one. Yet because of the culture of the USA, they basically are forced to own one. Unless they can manage to live in the major cities with adequate public transit. Which there are very few, considering how many of them there are in the USA. They can't afford those big cities either, so they are stuck with a car they can't really afford. Its an ongoing battle in the USA for far to many people. It's been going on forever, it will never change. Unless perhaps if and when gas hits what much of the world pays. Then we may see an outcry, for at least adequate bus service in the nations Metro's.
Jim,

I agree with you in some respects. If someone is living in a large urban area with viable public transportation, why get a car? If I lived in a city like Chicago, I would either not have a car or just have a beater.

I have a buddy who lives in Chicago with his fiance between downtown and Chinatown. They used to live in the suburbs and commute to work via train. They figured that they would save money by moving to the city and not spending money on transportation and getting rid of one of the cars. Now the car they do have basically sits during the week. They're saving money despite a higher cost of living in Chicago.

But there are a lot of factors that come into play:

Weather
Public transportation availability
Cost of car ownership in that particular state
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 02:39 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,892,208 times
I was walking out of a store yesterday and a fella pulled up in a brand new Jeep. Had everything on it from heated seats to a front winch. The big 4 door Jeep. We talked a bit and he told me it was $42,000. $42,000!!!!! That's insane. He's looking forward to taking it off road this weekend.

$42,000??? My first house didn't cost that much.

Old 02-09-2013, 02:53 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,893,930 times
Theres nothing like dropping the top and taking a ride to the beach in a nice car.. Listening to the exhaust and rowing thru the gears..

Old 02-09-2013, 03:06 PM

1,716 posts, read 3,588,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
I was walking out of a store yesterday and a fella pulled up in a brand new Jeep. Had everything on it from heated seats to a front winch. The big 4 door Jeep. We talked a bit and he told me it was $42,000. $42,000!!!!! That's insane. He's looking forward to taking it off road this weekend.

$42,000??? My first house didn't cost that much.
That's a pretty good deal, actually. I assume it's a Grand Cherokee? Those are very nice and are a great "cheap" alternative to the luxury brands.

Old 02-09-2013, 04:41 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,892,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Luxury View Post
That's a pretty good deal, actually. I assume it's a Grand Cherokee? Those are very nice and are a great "cheap" alternative to the luxury brands.
No it was a JEEP. One of those regular 4 door JEEPS. That's insane.

Old 02-09-2013, 04:46 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,608,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
I hear what you're saying. Cars have become ridiculously expensive when adjusted for inflation and compared with real incomes, which incidentally have been stagnant for twenty years now. Back in the day, $10k (today's money) would have bought you a very nice new car. Can you imagine $10k buying anybody a nice new car today? I can't either.
Actually in 1990 I remember a top of the line Honda Accord went for $17K out the door (if I remember right) so it's probably been about 30 years since $10K got a very nice car. What's a top of the line Honda Accord going for now...probably $30K out the door? I drive my cars until they get stolen or break down from old age but I've always liked cars so possibly I'll buy used every couple of years or lease to try out different vehicles now.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:49 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,904,050 times
Wrangler Unlimited Rubicons are crazy expensive when all the option boxes are checked. But that thing will still be worth $20,000 in 7 years, probably more. Wranglers are the best "investment" you can make when buying a new car, as the original owner comes out on top. Unbelievable what a used one goes for, even 1997 Sports in good shape and under 120k miles are going for $7k.

It's only money, can't take it with you!

Old 02-09-2013, 07:08 PM

838 posts, read 2,527,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
It's only money, can't take it with you!
Truer words have never been spoken! Remember the movie 'The Bucket List'?? They shoulda called it 'The F**k It List!!'

Old 02-09-2013, 07:32 PM

26,432 posts, read 46,643,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Luxury View Post
It's not a good value. Jeeps are known for massive depreciation compared to the price people paid for them new.

Old 02-10-2013, 12:49 AM

2,569 posts, read 7,749,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
Jim,

I agree with you in some respects. If someone is living in a large urban area with viable public transportation, why get a car? If I lived in a city like Chicago, I would either not have a car or just have a beater.

I have a buddy who lives in Chicago with his fiance between downtown and Chinatown. They used to live in the suburbs and commute to work via train. They figured that they would save money by moving to the city and not spending money on transportation and getting rid of one of the cars. Now the car they do have basically sits during the week. They're saving money despite a higher cost of living in Chicago.

But there are a lot of factors that come into play:

Weather
Public transportation availability
Cost of car ownership in that particular state

Also, and this may sound whiny and like a bad reason, but sometimes you just don't feel like screwing with public transportation!

I mix it up and do both but I love having my car, even though it's a "beater", for those days when I just don't want to put up with the extra time it takes to get where I am going, and I really don't wanna be around the "general public" for however long on the bus.

Plus it is often unreliable (late). So it depends on how crucial it is that I be on time that day, or how much extra time I have to catch an earlier bus to be safe. So I do it out of financial "duty" to being frugal but sometimes I really hate it and at those times, gimme my car and my music and my privacy!

If I lived in an area with much more efficient public transportation I might have a better attitude about it though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive