Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 04:31 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,924,089 times

Advertisements

Driving in a 1/4 inch of snow my 2006 Camry with 3 year old Yokohama Avid was all over the place. It was the same since I originally got them.

25K miles on them now. Dry walls are cracking, but my mechanic said tread is good for another 1.5 years.

Anti-lock brakes in the front, discs in the rear.

I am just concerned, because if the car can barely make it in 1/4 inch I am in serious trouble when we get a real snow storm.

However snow tires would be expensive and I will soon have to purchase new all-season tires anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2012, 05:28 PM

106,900 posts, read 109,156,575 times
the snow tires are the way to go. you get the use almost for free because your both sets will last that much longer.

all seasons suck once the temperature drops below 40 degrees even with no snow.

while legally you may have tread left on your tires the fact is most are really bad in the slop after 30k or so.

Old 12-26-2012, 05:31 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,133,721 times
From my experience all seasons aren't particularly good in snow. I only hit snow once or twice a year to visit family but if you're dealing with it on a fairly consistent basis I would strongly advise getting a proper set of snow tires.

Old 12-26-2012, 05:37 PM

17,221 posts, read 57,157,182 times
All season tires are pretty dependent on having nearly full tread depth to work well in snow, sounds like yours are worn enough to not have that any more.

You can go on Tire Rack's web site and see some ratings of various all-season tires in terms of dry, wet, snow and ice traction.

If you have a place to store them, I would definitely spring for a set of dedicated snow tires on junkyard steel wheels. You *can* mount and dismount tires, take your current tires off and bag them, put snows on your current wheels, but this costs you probably something like $40 for the 4 tire mount/dismounts, which would probably buy you the 4 junkyard wheels. Some better indy tire stores will have steel wheels in stock to fit your ride.

Again, Tire Rack is your friend as to what snow tire to buy.

If you don't personally have a place to store the tires, think about a mini-storage, even the smallest storage bin would work. You probably have some other "stuff" that you could put in there, would like to get it out of the way in your apt. or small house or where-ever it is you don't have room to store 4 wheel/tire assemblies. Or parent's or friend's home/garage.

Old 12-26-2012, 05:40 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,567,330 times
I only use all season tires but it doesn't snow where I live. Did drive in snow and ice once to visit family in Arkansas. I drove at least 10 mph below the highway speeds, coasted and braked early and gently before stops, increased the distance between me and the vehicle in front of me, and was cautious over spots that appeared to be icy. Amazing how many drove above the posted speed limit on snow and ice.

Old 12-26-2012, 05:49 PM

11,557 posts, read 53,247,664 times
I'm in the Rocky Mountains, where low temperatures at altitude and a long snowy season is the norm. As a manufacturer's rep these days, I travel 40-50,000 miles per year. Back in the days when I had my auto service shop in Denver, I used to commute to the mountains every week, sometimes several 'round trips. With the exception of running Gislaved/Nordfrost tires on my RWD BMW's and MB's, I've never run snow tires on any vehicle and never found them necessary.

As well, in over 50 years now of driving the Front Range and mountains of Colorado, I've used chains only a few times ... decades ago.

I drive All Season tires all year 'round, with excellent results ... on my Subaru OBW's; currently running Michelin's and Bridgestones and am very satisfied with their abilities in snow, snowpack, hardpack, and icy roads.

On my Class B RV, 1993 Dodge 3500 Van chassis, which I drive extensively all year around for business travel, including the snow months ... I run top of the line Michelin's 245/75/R16's. When I got the RV, I was concerned that these All Season rated tires might not be adequate in the winter months. But my tire shop resources all assured me that these tires would be adequate for my needs, and they have been right. Haven't needed snow tires, haven't needed to put the cable chains on, and I've driven this vehicle into remote area campgrounds in the winter months without difficulty getting in and out for a night's stay.

Additionally, I run Goodyear Commercial tires on my Ford F-250 Powerstroke RWD, all year around. On snow and snowpack, these tires have proven to be more than adequate. The only time I am concerned about using it is when there's icy conditions, and then I'll run my Dodge 2500 Cummins 4x4 ... which has a motley set of old Michelin all-season truck tires on it ... and only if I need the truck to haul a load. Last winter, I didn't even start this truck but a couple of times and my records show that it didn't go 200 miles last year. That's two trips to town, so the rest of my hauling needs were done with the 4x2 Ford.

IMO, all-season tires have been well proven to deliver very good all season performance. I doubt that the winter season in NJ presents the challenges that I encounter for many months of the year here in the Rocky Mountains ....

Old 12-26-2012, 05:56 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,439,218 times
While these aren't marketed as AS tires, they most certainly ARE. Nokian WR2 are M&S rated (winter) tires that can be run year round with no major penalty. There's about a 4% hit on fuel economy (my TDI went from 50mpg to 48mpg), and they only run 60k miles instead of 80~100k miles. Given that the tires are good enough to run around the Rockies (CO/WY/MT, lots of going over passes, to ski hills, etc..) in full winter without any issue, it's a small tradeoff.

They are also Phenomenal in the wet/rain. I've seriously not had any tire that's been better in the rain off the racetrack (on the track, I've used full on rain race tires... those are king).

We're nearing the end of our 2nd set and if we still lived somewhere where precipitation fell in frozen form, it'd be a no-brainier to buy another set. As it is, we're going back to a touring AS tire for the longer life.

Old 12-26-2012, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
I'm in the Rocky Mountains, where low temperatures at altitude and a long snowy season is the norm. As a manufacturer's rep these days, I travel 40-50,000 miles per year. Back in the days when I had my auto service shop in Denver, I used to commute to the mountains every week, sometimes several 'round trips. With the exception of running Gislaved/Nordfrost tires on my RWD BMW's and MB's, I've never run snow tires on any vehicle and never found them necessary.

As well, in over 50 years now of driving the Front Range and mountains of Colorado, I've used chains only a few times ... decades ago.

I drive All Season tires all year 'round, with excellent results ... on my Subaru OBW's; currently running Michelin's and Bridgestones and am very satisfied with their abilities in snow, snowpack, hardpack, and icy roads.

On my Class B RV, 1993 Dodge 3500 Van chassis, which I drive extensively all year around for business travel, including the snow months ... I run top of the line Michelin's 245/75/R16's. When I got the RV, I was concerned that these All Season rated tires might not be adequate in the winter months. But my tire shop resources all assured me that these tires would be adequate for my needs, and they have been right. Haven't needed snow tires, haven't needed to put the cable chains on, and I've driven this vehicle into remote area campgrounds in the winter months without difficulty getting in and out for a night's stay.

Additionally, I run Goodyear Commercial tires on my Ford F-250 Powerstroke RWD, all year around. On snow and snowpack, these tires have proven to be more than adequate. The only time I am concerned about using it is when there's icy conditions, and then I'll run my Dodge 2500 Cummins 4x4 ... which has a motley set of old Michelin all-season truck tires on it ... and only if I need the truck to haul a load. Last winter, I didn't even start this truck but a couple of times and my records show that it didn't go 200 miles last year. That's two trips to town, so the rest of my hauling needs were done with the 4x2 Ford.

IMO, all-season tires have been well proven to deliver very good all season performance. I doubt that the winter season in NJ presents the challenges that I encounter for many months of the year here in the Rocky Mountains ....
Thanks Sunsprit!

Any opinion on these tires which I was about to buy, until I read they are only good in light snow?

Michelin*Primacy MXV4

Yes you are correct we don't see the Winter's like you are used to, but one big storm can ruin it all.

Thanks again!

Old 12-26-2012, 06:16 PM

106,900 posts, read 109,156,575 times
winter tires are cheaper then an accident if it saves you from one.

Old 12-26-2012, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
winter tires are cheaper then an accident if it saves you from one.
You are a wise man
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive