Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 02:44 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
...As far as cars go. I have no problem with a 6 cyl base model. After all, one of the purposes of wanting to do this is to get rid of some winter time boredom. So an engine swap would almost be expected and due to the fact I'd be looking at around a 40 year old car, axle/trans/susp/etc.. would probably need to be replaced as well. (not necessary... I drive a 35 yr old 'Stealth Rabbit' DAILY I have some diesel VW's with over 500k, so American Iron is NOT USUALLY in need of IRON replacement (except steering / Suspension rubber). I keep plenty of USA IRON on the go also... my favorite is my Case Dozer and my MACK semi- neither are HOA friendly ... would be just as happy with the other similar style GM or similar cars. I'm not looking for a badge. Just a platform to put a slightly built small block in to get a good sound and have the enjoyment of keeping some classic American metal on the road.

As someone noted there is no way I would find anything around me. So that would mean taking a road trip. That is understandable. Also, with the exception of this week, the winters here aren't too bad to work on anything without a garage. A lot of places here don't have one.
Now's a great time to go to San Antonio (winter) and do some 'out-back' shopping in the Hill Country.

Look also to Ford and Mercury, they made some REAL classy 60' / 70's LIGHT coupes. Maybe buy an earlier Rambler! or a Gremlin (The 304's were pretty HOT)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 04:59 PM

1,742 posts, read 6,139,439 times
There is plenty to pick from GM. Some of the bargain models will be Corvairs, 73+ A bodies, 71+ X bodies, and maybe the early 60s Special/Tempest/Chevy II.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:39 PM

2,023 posts, read 5,312,708 times
A late 1970s era 4x4 Ford is probably the strongest 4x4 made. The 1967 to early 1977 f250 4x4 highboys are real popular these days too and are great trucks but I don't know if you would find a solid rustfree truck like those affordable or not cause they seem to be getting quite popular. The 351M/400 can be built to make decent power however the 429/460 based engines are the best truck engines there is.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:45 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,204,051 times
Quote:
I'm going to possibly be in the market for a toy coming up. Something to replace some of my boredom, especially in the winter when there is not much to do as my occupation is seasonal. I am torn between an old full-size (78-79) bronco, K-5 Blazer or an older muscle car. I am pretty familiar with the 4X4's and pricing/condition as that is what I used to toy with. What I'm not really familiar with are the older muscle cars.

Are they all going for ridiculous amounts or am I looking in the wrong places. I don't want/can't afford a restored one. What is most important to me would be basic running-even if it needs a new motor, just so I can get an idea of what is really needed. Also straight, non rusted quarters, floor boards, and kick panels, etc. Not too worried about fenders or bolt on body parts such as doors but body work beyond bolting on panels and welding is beyond me. I think I'm inclined to try paint though.

Just throwing a figure out there but would something be possible for a couple grand that is running and fairly straight but needs some work--if that makes any sense. I can't weld or do body work but I'm mechanically inclined to do anything else.

I'm not too brand loyal but like the early pony cars. I also like the chevelle styling (both mid 60's and early 70's), or the dodge/Plymouth versions as well. Just something that is backyard restorable for a weekend cruiser.
Friend there is no such thing as a cheap muscle car. Even one with a blown engine is worth thousands. Go find an old 5.0 stang that is half worn out and call it a muscle car if you arent going to spend more than 4 or 5 k

Old 01-28-2013, 12:41 AM

3,702 posts, read 4,850,376 times
I've actually started doing some research on line and it seems if I up my figure to the 7000 range I think I could find a classic mustang coup in decent shape (driveable but restorable if that makes any sense). Correct me if I'm wrong though. Hard to tell from the pictures though but it seems they are available. Just curious what the actual condition would be in that price range. It looks like if I'm willing to save a little more and take a road trip that plan just may work out. I have always liked them and it seems there are plenty available in comparison to other models.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:44 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,387,152 times
Quote:
I'm going to possibly be in the market for a toy coming up. Something to replace some of my boredom, especially in the winter when there is not much to do as my occupation is seasonal. I am torn between an old full-size (78-79) bronco, K-5 Blazer or an older muscle car. I am pretty familiar with the 4X4's and pricing/condition as that is what I used to toy with. What I'm not really familiar with are the older muscle cars.

Are they all going for ridiculous amounts or am I looking in the wrong places. I don't want/can't afford a restored one. What is most important to me would be basic running-even if it needs a new motor, just so I can get an idea of what is really needed. Also straight, non rusted quarters, floor boards, and kick panels, etc. Not too worried about fenders or bolt on body parts such as doors but body work beyond bolting on panels and welding is beyond me. I think I'm inclined to try paint though.

Just throwing a figure out there but would something be possible for a couple grand that is running and fairly straight but needs some work--if that makes any sense. I can't weld or do body work but I'm mechanically inclined to do anything else.

I'm not too brand loyal but like the early pony cars. I also like the chevelle styling (both mid 60's and early 70's), or the dodge/Plymouth versions as well. Just something that is backyard restorable for a weekend cruiser.
A road test just for you,

Cheap Truck Challenge! - Roadkill Episode 3 - YouTube

Old 01-29-2013, 02:17 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,395,888 times
Quote:
I've actually started doing some research on line and it seems if I up my figure to the 7000 range I think I could find a classic mustang coup in decent shape (driveable but restorable if that makes any sense). Correct me if I'm wrong though. Hard to tell from the pictures though but it seems they are available. Just curious what the actual condition would be in that price range. It looks like if I'm willing to save a little more and take a road trip that plan just may work out. I have always liked them and it seems there are plenty available in comparison to other models.
I was going to suggest a 66 or 67 Mustang. They seem to pop up all the time for under $10k.

Old 01-29-2013, 02:24 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Choose less known and/or less muscular muscle.

You are nof going to find a Challenger, Camaro or mustang for that price. Try something less beefy or less poular. Maybe a Maverick, or Fury. Perhaps an Olds Cutlass. Buick Skylark. Pontiac LeMans Coupe. There were lots of muscular cars that were not known as muscle.

I had a 1969 Lemans Coupe with a 350 in it. It moved along pretty good. Tweak it a bit and it will move even better. They are not that popular and therefore cheaper.

Or you can go to not quite classic and/or not quite muscle. My son got a 1994 Thunderbird LX Coupe for $500. While not a rocket ship, it is reasonably fund to rive (coners pretty well for such a heavy thing). It has a 4.6 V-8. Hardly rocking muscle, but above average for its time and cheap. You can get a V-6 supercharged Supercoupe for about $3500.

Old 01-29-2013, 02:33 PM

9,131 posts, read 20,009,690 times
To be different, what about something like an AMC Javelin? I am not sure how AMC's were taken back in the day, but they seem to be all but forgotten these days. Would be fairly unique to have one!

Old 01-29-2013, 02:58 PM

1,742 posts, read 6,139,439 times
I've seen better deals on 71-73 mustangs/cougars than 71-72 A bodies (Skylark, Lemans, Cutlass).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive