Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 09:53 AM

3,703 posts, read 4,855,219 times

Advertisements

I'm going to possibly be in the market for a toy coming up. Something to replace some of my boredom, especially in the winter when there is not much to do as my occupation is seasonal. I am torn between an old full-size (78-79) bronco, K-5 Blazer or an older muscle car. I am pretty familiar with the 4X4's and pricing/condition as that is what I used to toy with. What I'm not really familiar with are the older muscle cars.

Are they all going for ridiculous amounts or am I looking in the wrong places. I don't want/can't afford a restored one. What is most important to me would be basic running-even if it needs a new motor, just so I can get an idea of what is really needed. Also straight, non rusted quarters, floor boards, and kick panels, etc. Not too worried about fenders or bolt on body parts such as doors but body work beyond bolting on panels and welding is beyond me. I think I'm inclined to try paint though.

Just throwing a figure out there but would something be possible for a couple grand that is running and fairly straight but needs some work--if that makes any sense. I can't weld or do body work but I'm mechanically inclined to do anything else.

I'm not too brand loyal but like the early pony cars. I also like the chevelle styling (both mid 60's and early 70's), or the dodge/Plymouth versions as well. Just something that is backyard restorable for a weekend cruiser.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 10:11 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,236,051 times
I don't follow muscle cars that much, but I bet that a straight and relatively rust free shell (no drivetrain; maybe not much else at all) of anything that could be considered a musclecar, would be a couple grand by itself. They are more rare by the day, and unmolested ones are hard to find. Survivors in OK shape are selling for thousands locally.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:19 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,785,571 times
Yes the prices on pretty much all muscle cars are now astronomically high. Just check out what some of them are going for on Barrett-Jackson, then figure that some baby boomers now think their rusted, busted, clapped out, non running, mice inhabiting, missing parts, been-sitting-on-blocks-since-1980, is worth $20k...because they saw a restored one on BJ go for $50k +.

When you put in your budget of "a couple grand" and "muscle car" in the same sentence, you're looking at a non running major project that will probably need quarters, floors, trunk pan, all the things you said you don't want to have to do.

On your budget, you might be better off looking for a mid 70's car....they weren't muscle by any stretch of imagination, but they often serve as "alternative" platforms to work on for us common Joe's that don't feel like paying thru the nose for a 69 Camaro, 70 Chevelle or a 69 Mustang. The alternative platforms can be had for less, and can be as much fun and most of the time they'll even hold the big V8 engines the muscle cars had.

Some examples of alternatives to work with are the 74-81 Camaro/Firebird, '73-'81 Malibu/Monte Carlo/Grand Prix/Cutlass/Regal, maybe the '71-'73 Mustang (or even the '74-'78 Mustang II), '73-'79 Nova, etc.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:30 AM

11,350 posts, read 16,714,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
Yes the prices on pretty much all muscle cars are now astronomically high. Just check out what some of them are going for on Barrett-Jackson, then figure that some baby boomers now think their rusted, busted, clapped out, non running, mice inhabiting, missing parts, been-sitting-on-blocks-since-1980, is worth $20k...because they saw a restored one on BJ go for $50k +.

When you put in your budget of "a couple grand" and "muscle car" in the same sentence, you're looking at a non running major project that will probably need quarters, floors, trunk pan, all the things you said you don't want to have to do.

On your budget, you might be better off looking for a mid 70's car....they weren't muscle by any stretch of imagination, but they often serve as "alternative" platforms to work on for us common Joe's that don't feel like paying thru the nose for a 69 Camaro, 70 Chevelle or a 69 Mustang. The alternative platforms can be had for less, and can be as much fun and most of the time they'll even hold the big V8 engines the muscle cars had.

Some examples of alternatives to work with are the 74-81 Camaro/Firebird, '73-'81 Malibu/Monte Carlo/Grand Prix/Cutlass/Regal, maybe the '71-'73 Mustang (or even the '74-'78 Mustang II), '73-'79 Nova, etc.
I've been looking for a 71-73 Mustang vert, black/red combo with Mach I hood, rear spoiler. Something decent and not a trailer queen. I also know hat there were no vert Mach I's for 71-73, but a clone works for me. I've found a few of them, but my body guy who really knows his work always says to pass for certain reasons.

So I was watching the BJ Auctions just to see what's going on and knowing that the name itself (BJ) demands a higher price.

Stupid me, didn't realize that Mecum was having their own auction this past week/weekend, and what do I find AFTER the auction is over... 1971 Ford Mustang Convertible 351 CI, Automatic for sale by Mecum Auction

The Stang sold for $17,000. I would have def put a serious bid in for it if I only knew. So on with my search.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:45 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,330,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post

only model that is way overpriced is the 77 Bandit T/A where they go for $15K with the Pontiac 6.6 HO even the 6.6 SD sell quite high even though the SD T/A in 77 were 402 olds engines.

Could of had a near mint 77 Bandit T/A in 94 for $1500 but back then as a Teen I had to have the 87-93 Fox-body 5.0 HO Mustang LX Coupe/Hatch

Old 01-21-2013, 10:58 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,785,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
only model that is way overpriced is the 77 Bandit T/A where they go for $15K with the Pontiac 6.6 HO even the 6.6 SD sell quite high even though the SD T/A in 77 were 402 olds engines.

Could of had a near mint 77 Bandit T/A in 94 for $1500 but back then as a Teen I had to have the 87-93 Fox-body 5.0 HO Mustang LX Coupe/Hatch
True. Actually I think any of the special edition cars were $$ but definitely the '77. Also the '79 10th anniversary T/A was another expensive car. When I posted what was in my mind were the plain jane models or maybe like something Jim Rockford would drive.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:20 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,278,236 times
If you're sold on a 60s-early 70s era vehicle, the best bang for your buck will be a base model; for instance, Plymouth Satellite rather than Road Runner, Pontiac Tempest/LeMans rather than GTO, etc. They'll turn just as many heads as the high-performance versions and can be outfitted with the same equipment for a fraction of the cost. Just don't build a clone, that's just lame.

But as others have said, you can still pick up the '70s-'80s RWD coupes pretty at pretty reasonable prices.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:38 AM

3,703 posts, read 4,855,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
If you're sold on a 60s-early 70s era vehicle, the best bang for your buck will be a base model; for instance, Plymouth Satellite rather than Road Runner, Pontiac Tempest/LeMans rather than GTO, etc. They'll turn just as many heads as the high-performance versions and can be outfitted with the same equipment for a fraction of the cost. Just don't build a clone, that's just lame.
That's more on the lines of what would be reality. I'd love to have a 55-57 chevy, a GTO, or convertable stang but I know those cars are way out of my limits. I'd just enjoy driving a classic car with a nice sounding slightly tweeked V8 and have the satisfaction of fixing it myself. I like the styling of a lot of those cars but they don't need to be the exact high-performance packages. As an example a LeMans instead of a GTO would be fine. And no I'd have no desire to turn it into something it's not. Just play with the motor a bit.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:35 PM

255 posts, read 464,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post

But as others have said, you can still pick up the '70s-'80s RWD coupes pretty at pretty reasonable prices.
Good suggestions, but most of those are getting hard to find. Just about anything that could be bought and "cloned" has been. Getting tough to find that "base model" today too.

One that's frequently overlooked is the 71+ Chysler F Body. In 1971, Chrysler engines were the same as in earlier years, but they redesigned the Road Runner, Charger, GTX, R/T and it just didn't catch on...probably because in 72, the Supercar era was winding down. Just as a bit of comparison, a 1970 Dodge Charger seems to be valued at around $40K, depending of course on equipment and condition. But an 1971 Dodge Charger is only worth about $23, equally depending on equipment and condition. And of course, that body style stayed around until 1975 and a crate engine could wake any of them up.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:43 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,278,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackalope View Post
Good suggestions, but most of those are getting hard to find. Just about anything that could be bought and "cloned" has been. Getting tough to find that "base model" today too.
Actually none of them are all that hard to find if a person is willing to travel and isn't too picky about color, options, etc.

My point was that you can usually find a drivable base model for about 1/4-1/2 the price of a high-end basket case or rolling body. Didn't mean to imply that you're going to find either in the next block.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive