Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 06:02 PM

270 posts, read 703,478 times

Advertisements

Even with a big a** arrow indicate lane changing due to construction, people will never obey it 'till the last minute and then start to change lane with blinkers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 06:43 PM

1,618 posts, read 2,624,854 times
Guys, cops don't even use turn signals anymore.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:33 PM

337 posts, read 896,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
I use my turn signals 100% of the time and I am very fair to other drivers on the road. I do a lot of commuting and I see a lot of people assuming that because they have a blinker on that they should be allowed to get in front of you. If I am going with the flow of traffic and I have to slow down to let someone in front of me...they did not have enough room to merge in the first place. I do not speed up to prevent someone from merging but I will not slow down to accomodate them. There have been many times when I have wanted to merge yet I wait for an opportunity where I am not causing anyone to accomodate me.

Turn signals are in place to communicate with other drivers about your intentions. No one is a mind reader. But again, just because your turn signal is on does not mean you have the right to merge. If someone wants to accomodate you they will. If you are not where you need to be keep driving until you have the opportunity to merge over safely and then turn around if need be. Why create more traffic and/or possible accident by trying to weasel your way in somewhere? I never assume anyone will let me in and if there isnt enough room and I wont even bother trying.

Using turn signals is being respectful to other drivers on the road around you. This conversation has gone from people not using them because others speed up to prevent them from merging to the person speeding up being a jerk. This isnt a topic on people being jerks for not letting people merge, its a conversation about jerks that dont use turn signals. NOt only should you use turn signals but should also pay attention to your surroundings and be aware of what lane you need/want to be in. There would be less "jerks" out there if people payed attention and used common sense. DO not inconvenience other drivers.

As far as living in NJ...thats all I do is live here. I am from NH originally and do most of my commuting on PA where I find the drivers to be twice as bad as in NJ. I hate NJ but I dont think the drivers are as bad as PA.
This is the "I'm putting on my turn signals to say "WATCH OUT I'M CHANGING LANES"" Rather than signalling, checking mirrors, then shoulder checking, then proceeding when safe. While you obviously shouldn't speed up to prevent a lane change, you shouldn't necessarily not slow down either. I'll always yield. Too many drivers have too much pride on the streets. It's always a me me me first attitude.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:10 PM

1,618 posts, read 2,624,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossCountryTrip View Post
This is the "I'm putting on my turn signals to say "WATCH OUT I'M CHANGING LANES"" Rather than signalling, checking mirrors, then shoulder checking, then proceeding when safe. While you obviously shouldn't speed up to prevent a lane change, you shouldn't necessarily not slow down either. I'll always yield. Too many drivers have too much pride on the streets. It's always a me me me first attitude.
Sometimes you should show some courtesy on the road to the guy about to miss his exit. Do unto others you know.

If I notice I'm in that zone in general (that being at or near the vehicle blind spot) ill slow down or speed up to get clear. Few things annoy me more than someone who chooses to park themselves in my blind spot and just hang there forever.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Old 01-31-2013, 02:38 AM

202 posts, read 532,262 times
I let people in who signal. What pisses me off is when the car behind them takes that opportunity to cut me off.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:52 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,759,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
Sometimes you should show some courtesy on the road to the guy about to miss his exit. Do unto others you know.

If I notice I'm in that zone in general (that being at or near the vehicle blind spot) ill slow down or speed up to get clear. Few things annoy me more than someone who chooses to park themselves in my blind spot and just hang there forever.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
Why should you accomodate anyone about to miss his exit because he chose not to merge over when he had the chance. Of course there are certain circumstances but when there is ample room to merge and someone is too impatient and needs to get to the front of the line I will not reward them by letting them in. Let them take the next exit. WIth that being said if I find myself about to miss my exit for some reason and I do not see any room where I will be able to safely merge I go to the next exit. Its my fault and I am not going to stop in the middle of the road waiting for someone to let me in.

I find it ironic that many times I see the impatient drivers that are swerving all over the place to get ahead without using any turn signals will be the first ones to use them if they desperatlely need to get over and have no room to do so. They are not about convenience, they are about safety. There are no rewards for using a turn signal, thats like prisoners getting released early for good behavior...um hello...shouldnt everyone be on good behavior in prison.

Nothing gets me more than cops that dont use them..oh yeah thats cause they are on the cell phone, and laptop and dont have enough hands....but will be the first to pull you over for doing the same...ugh..

I am much more accomodating to drivers that do use blinkers and every circumstance is different. Like I said, I think I am very fair, however, if you dont use them you will have to hit me first before I allow you over.

Old 01-31-2013, 05:05 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times
Let me remind you all of something that is actually written in the driving manual:
DRIVING COURTESY!

When entering a highway from an exit you are supposed to SPEED UP TO MEET the highway speed, and NOT slow down! Those ON THE HIGHWAY ALREADY are supposed to SEE YOU, With your turning signal ON, and move to the left if there's room, OR slow down a bit (meaning take your foot slightly off the acceleration pedal) to accommodate the new entry. People driving on highways SHOULD be aware of exists and ppl coming on and off of them!!! Its not like a video game where exits pop up randomly!

If I am in the middle lane, and I turn my signal on to get into the right or the left lane, and there is enough room for me to do so, you need NOT to speed up and not let me in.Doing THAT makes you a JERK who just woke up from texting or other unrelated activity just to BE a JERK. Which "I" will horn extensively. FYI.

Seeing someone turning a signal on does not mean you all of the sudden wake up and refuse to let them in! That is really against the law according to the driving manual. The roads are SHARED! DRIVING IS A PRIVILEGE AND NOT A RIGHT! IF you did not know any of this it means two things:
1. You did not bother to read and understand the driving manual
2. You're a jerk who thinks the road is his

Yesterday a BI*CH tried to push me off the road as two lanes were merging into one, IN a CONSTRUCTION zone, and refused to merge behind the car behind me as I was up ahead already in the 1 lane portion, but she with her enormous SUV thought she can push me off on the sidewalk...and then when there was no room for her to push herself she decided to tailgate me in a 35 mile an hour construction zone!!!!!!!! Needless to say horns went off quite a bit, and middle fingers were flying! It is also in the driving manual how to MERGE properly. BUT these big SUV ppl seem to think they have a right to run others of the roads!!!!!! UNREAL!

Old 01-31-2013, 05:58 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,652,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2da2nd View Post
Even with a big a** arrow indicate lane changing due to construction, people will never obey it 'till the last minute and then start to change lane with blinkers
Actually, studies have demonstrated that the zipper merge--maintaining two lanes up to the end of the merge zone, improves traffic throughput. The problem is that it takes a culture change to get people to do it, and until that happens they will just consider the people who don't merge early to be jerks.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:10 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Actually, studies have demonstrated that the zipper merge--maintaining two lanes up to the end of the merge zone, improves traffic throughput. The problem is that it takes a culture change to get people to do it, and until that happens they will just consider the people who don't merge early to be jerks.
I think they should "study" how many ppl have no understanding of the traffic laws!!!

Old 01-31-2013, 06:21 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,759,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
A zipper merge should take place at the time where the signs are posted that the lanes are merging ahead. Everyone would go into the construction zone maintaining an even speed and the zipper merge would would have been a success. The problem is that people go around those trying to do a "zipper merge" in order to get ahead of eveyone then at the last possible minute put there blinker on trying to weasel their way in front of everyone else. Then when you dont let them in they look like you are the one doing something wrong. Now you have a bottleneck because there is never just one person doing this..there is always a bunch of people that follow suit. It never works how its suppossed to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive