Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 09:15 AM

846 posts, read 1,400,717 times

Advertisements

Ok. So we purchased a 2003 Mercury Mountaineer. We love it. We purchased it from a broker for a fair price, cash on January 7.

#1: Now, onto the issues. Nearly all the seatbelts need repair. The previous owner had a dog and the middle backseat belt is shot, the ones on the sides in the back are nearly not functional (as in, they don't retract). The passenger front one also has a tear. The drivers belt is fine.

#2: He gave us one set of keys and fob. We replaced one key yesterday at Walmart for $60 (it has a chip). However, because the vehicle has an alarm/keyless entry system but only one fob, we are going to have to pay $200-$300 to get it torn out and a new one replaced. The fob is an "aftermarket" dealer install. I've included a picture. Again, he knew we needed another key since we are sharing the one vehicle between 2 people.

#3: Ah, the transmission. Our tranny was replaced in mid-Dec 2012 and he gave us that paperwork. About 2 weeks later, the "check transmission" light and "O/D off" light came on. We took a picture and it was sent to the shop that the tranny was replaced at. Nothing was discovered (of course). We took it to our shop and the sensor is bad. Our shop claims it is the duty of the shop who replaced it to repair it since the tranny is under warranty for 90 days. The light has not come on regularly since.

We told the broker about issues 1 & 2 upon signing paperwork. Of course, it's not on the paperwork and this is bad--I get it. It was a verbal agreement which I understand has no weight in court but I have text messages for what it's worth stating he'd get it done.

Any ideas on how to broach these issues and get them resolved as quickly as possible. I need the backseat belts working for my job and, as such, they are not.

Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Shop Questions-photo-8.37.23-pm.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2013, 09:29 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,097,598 times
When you purchase a used car, most paperwork says in bold letters, "AS-IS." If it said that, he's under no obligation to fix any of those things.

The right thing to do would have been to check out the pricing to replace those parts before buying, then negotiate your sales price with that info. At this point, your best bet is to head to a junkyard and pick up those seatbelts (some people rarely use the backseat, and you should be able to find good rear belts easily and cheap.)

As far as the key fob goes, find out what type of alarm you have. You can buy a matching key fob, and have it programmed by the dealer or by a car stereo installation shop most likely. It's a 2003 Mercury, should be pretty easy, I've done the same thing with my old 2004 Jeep Liberty, and with our 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Found a key fob on ebay for cheap, took it in and the dealer programmed it. Some cars you can even program yourself if it allows for it.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:36 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,227,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
As far as the key fob goes, find out what type of alarm you have. You can buy a matching key fob, and have it programmed by the dealer or by a car stereo installation shop most likely. It's a 2003 Mercury, should be pretty easy, I've done the same thing with my old 2004 Jeep Liberty, and with our 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Found a key fob on ebay for cheap, took it in and the dealer programmed it. Some cars you can even program yourself if it allows for it.
This^^. There is no reason to replace the entire alarm system. Even if there was, a basic good quality aftermarket alarm can be had for far less than $300.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:05 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,426,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Good advice, MckinneyOwnr.

Those Mountaineer's are great. We had one as a work truck that was AWD with a V8. It wasn't terribly fast, but boy I loved how that thing chopped thru the gears.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:02 PM

19,029 posts, read 27,592,838 times
I am sorry to be non-constructive. How can you "love" something like this? Why would you even consider a vehicle that was sh....d by a dog?
You know what they say - CAVEAT EMPTOR. Your eyes saw what your hands bought. Fair price, right....

I am heartily sorry. Every time I see a post like this, my stomach turns upside down.

Old 02-03-2013, 03:39 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
That is why I buy/drive junkers. Buy a used vehicle and expect to throw money at it.

Old 02-03-2013, 05:07 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
When you buy a vehicle that's 10 years old there are going to be problems. If you feel that there is evidence that the dealer/broker was to pay for anything I'd suggest trying small claims court, but first check your paperwork. As McKinney said, few used cars (exception being certified) come with any kind of warranty. As soon as you leave the lot any repairs are on your checkbook. When buying any used vehicle it's worth spending $75-100 for an independent mechanic to go over it before you give up any cash, unless it's a $500-$1,000 beater and you plan to do the repairs yourself on it.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:21 PM

838 posts, read 2,524,912 times
Check with your local Ford dealer regarding seat belts. If there is a functional problem with them, they might replace for free. If it's cosmetic, you can find a used set from a junk car. Or, look online like on ebay for things like this.

My wife has an '02 Explorer that we bought new and has 205k miles on it now. Original trans still working fine, we know it's a ticking time bomb though! Probably replace this vehicle later in the year.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:34 PM

24,468 posts, read 26,003,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubconsciousMe View Post
Ok. So we purchased a 2003 Mercury Mountaineer. We love it. We purchased it from a broker for a fair price, cash on January 7.

#1: Now, onto the issues. Nearly all the seatbelts need repair. The previous owner had a dog and the middle backseat belt is shot, the ones on the sides in the back are nearly not functional (as in, they don't retract). The passenger front one also has a tear. The drivers belt is fine.

#2: He gave us one set of keys and fob. We replaced one key yesterday at Walmart for $60 (it has a chip). However, because the vehicle has an alarm/keyless entry system but only one fob, we are going to have to pay $200-$300 to get it torn out and a new one replaced. The fob is an "aftermarket" dealer install. I've included a picture. Again, he knew we needed another key since we are sharing the one vehicle between 2 people.

#3: Ah, the transmission. Our tranny was replaced in mid-Dec 2012 and he gave us that paperwork. About 2 weeks later, the "check transmission" light and "O/D off" light came on. We took a picture and it was sent to the shop that the tranny was replaced at. Nothing was discovered (of course). We took it to our shop and the sensor is bad. Our shop claims it is the duty of the shop who replaced it to repair it since the tranny is under warranty for 90 days. The light has not come on regularly since.

We told the broker about issues 1 & 2 upon signing paperwork. Of course, it's not on the paperwork and this is bad--I get it. It was a verbal agreement which I understand has no weight in court but I have text messages for what it's worth stating he'd get it done.

Any ideas on how to broach these issues and get them resolved as quickly as possible. I need the backseat belts working for my job and, as such, they are not.

Any ideas?
Cab you can explain to us why you love this car that has so many issues?

Old 02-08-2013, 08:28 PM

846 posts, read 1,400,717 times
Update...

Dealer has replaced 2/3 seatbelts. 3rd one came in wrong and it is being reordered. Yay.

Replaced key fobs. for $12 via eBay! Yay

We haven't had another issue with the tranny.

Why do I love this car so much? I'll spare you the back story as it isn't important. We did what we were supposed to do. We got the vehicle checked out at an independent mechanic and aside from a minor oil leak--the mechanic said the car was in EXCELLENT condition considering it's age. We got a CarFax that reported it valued about $500 over KBB based on it's information. Before the 90 day tranny is expired, we will probably get another inspection of it to make sure we are good to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive