Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 07:50 AM

164 posts, read 984,791 times

Advertisements

Been looking at the new RAM 2500 6.7L diesel in a crew cab.

Just wanting to purchase a full size truck.

Been driving a 2009 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 DC for over 4 years. I love my current vehicle, its still in great condition, runs well, lower than average miles, and its paid for. The great thing is it has held its value very well and if I sell it or trade it in I will not be losing that much value and still be able to get into a brand new larger vehicle comfortably.

Just been floundering about this decision way more than I should.

I like the looks of the 13 RAM best, but I like the proven reliability of the GM better. I don't need a diesel, just want a diesel. I plan on keeping this next vehicle 10 years or more.

Diesel fuel costs more but I get better MPG in the diesel.
Diesel upfront costs is more, but I plan to keep it a long time to offset that.
Maintenance costs is higher on a diesel, but greater long term reliability.

Then again, 2014 models will be out soon, so do I wait another few months. One problem is that I have found a great vehicle in the color I want, and the options I want, at the price I want.

back to floundering, trying to get off this fence
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 07:59 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,171,657 times
The Cummins engine is more reliable than the duramax.
You can get parts more readily for the cummins at any big rig shop or cummins dealer/shop has parts and can work on it if need be.

My dodge with the 6.7 has been a great truck. we take a TT out west 2-4 times a year, it's a joy to tow with it, the diesel is the way to go.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:02 AM

3,135 posts, read 11,893,349 times
Definitely between Dodge and GM. If you go the GM route, wait for 2014 as the new interior will be worth it (current interior is dated). If you need to tow 30k lbs, then Dodge is the choice.

Dodge is going to have a 1/2 Diesel option very soon (Ford and GM will have one in 2015 or so), which should get around 30MPG.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:09 AM

15 posts, read 37,491 times
You will never come remotely close to offsetting the cost of a diesel via resale, gas mileage differential et al. You will be spending significantly more money on your diesel.

I drive a diesel truck that I don't need, I understand the allure. I just assume we be real about this unpleasant truth right off the bat. In 2002 you could semi-financially justify a diesel via resale value, reliability et al. Now you can't.

Greater long term reliability is moot. 2013 gasser engines last 300-400k miles consistently, longer than the meat of the truck itself will last without several thousand in repairs. Ten years ago you could self-justify a diesel for reliability concerns, but not anymore. Add in urea fluid cost/annoyance, 120 dollar oil changes (GL doing it yourself in a newer diesel, it's a science project on some), etc.

What exactly are you buying this truck for? A specific task? We need more info to give you a truly helpful recommendation.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:25 AM

I just rolled 2 mortgages(just bought some vacation property) and my truck loan in to one mortgage.
my 08 with a diesel dropped $5k in valur from new.
I see comparable trucks to mine going for $28k, I only paid $32 in 08.

My dodge gas 4x4 3/4 ton truck gets 9-14mpg & my dodge diesel 3/4ton, 4x4 gets 18-20mpg.

Changing the oil on the cummins is as elementary as it gets.

Longevity in the new "econo" gasser engines is questionable and unproven.
The diesel is just getting broken in at 75k.

Then there is the, you don't have to justify what you want, well not to us anyway.
Get the diesel give her a spin. if it doesn't work out for you trade it in for a gasser.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:48 AM

164 posts, read 984,791 times
Thanks for all the input. Just seeking opinions, like my wife says I will do what I want to do in the end anyway.

I just know we all have our own experiences in life. Hearing others opinions is just another venue to let it all play out.

This truck is a want and not a need. I may or may not pull something in the future. I just want a larger truck, just not sure on the diesel front or the gasser side.

I previously had a FORD with the 6.0 engine and lost my wallet when I got rid of it.

maybe the diesel is just a macho thing, who knows or cares. Life is short so I believe in getting what you want. Maybe I am just trying to justify the want in this situation.
Attached Thumbnails
2013/14 HD truck RAM or GM-dodge2500.jpg  

Old 03-25-2013, 09:37 AM

You sound like a gasser man.
Get a gasser.

I'll admit a diesel is a poor choice for a grocery getter/ boulevard cruiser.

But to some money is not a issue

Old 03-25-2013, 09:54 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,480,173 times
Just a thought too, a diesel doenst like short trips where it never warms up.

I'm a diesel fan though, and I look forward to getting mine.

Old 03-25-2013, 03:14 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,111,475 times
General consensus among the interwebz is:

Cummins>Powerstroke>Duramax.

Of course, there is no rational logic to any of this. They all perform well. I'm personally partial to the Powerstroke's deep "Chug-chug-chug" sound myself. 202k miles on mine and going strong.

Old 03-25-2013, 04:49 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
I bought a new 1995 Ford f250 PSD for towing my trailer with racecar and it was great for that.
But when your not towing and just using it for around town driving it is a waste of money.
5k was the premium price for a diesel back then and I don't know if I ever saved enough money to justify the extra cost.
Buying a diesel just because you like the sound is nonsense.
Buy a diesel because you need it not just because you want it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive