Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 10:48 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,214,050 times

Advertisements

Well I skipped in 2012 getting a new truck, but got the fever again. The '13 F150 and the '13 Ram 1500 have both received some updates for '13, mostly styling and technical however. I like the Silverado, but its a little too outdated for me (when compared to the others), so I am looking forward to the all-new '14 Silverado that is supposed to be coming.

I have been leaning toward the F150, but since I have seen the updates to the '13 Ram 1500, it has more appeal. They have changed the instrument cluster and added a little computer system in the cluster like the F150 has... they have also made available the huge 8.4 inch screen on the nav equipped models. I think one of the most unusual (and neat) things is the DIAL gear selector when you choose the optional 8-speed automatic. Also, the base engine is now the 3.6L V6 and offers much better MPG than before. They have also upgraded interior quality and materials on the latest Ram. I am interested to know if they have put in a padded instrument panel, I have yet to find that out (it was hard plastic before). The Ford already seemed to have a nice and high quality interior and better than the '12 Ram 1500 and much better than the '12 Silverado (which has alot of hard cheap plastic, misaligned panels on one model I looked at), so I will have to see how much better the '13 Ram is. Ford did see a change on the center stack for '13, but I dont think I like it any better than it was for '12. They have also changed their grills and wheels for '13. I say we wont see an all-new F150 until the 2015 model year. The current F150 design has been around since 2004, but it has received significate updates every couple of years to keep it looking much newer. Its a great design IMO. My dad has a 2005 F150 with 232K miles and still runs like new and nary a squeak or rattle - the engine is smooth and the transmission shifts as smooth as silk and never been rebuilt.

One thing I like is that they have made more options available on the base model versus the F150. You can even get optional XM radio and backup camera on the base Ram 1500 (Tradesman)... you cant on the F150. You have to at least step up to the STX to get optional XM you have to step up to the F150 before you can get optional backup camera... looks like Ford has also changed it to where you cant get the optional tailgate step on the STX and XL, at least its not on the "build your own" like it was before for 2012. Ford has decreased the price of the nav system though for 2013... its only $795 now versus around $2200 before (2012)! Still its sad that they only offer it as an option on Lariat trim lines and higher, but Dodge is guilty as well only offering navigation optional on the top of the line Laramie models and I think Chevy only offers it on the LTZ model of the Silverado.

With that said, I am still leaning more toward the Ford F150, but it will all come down to which seems the best during the test drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 02:09 AM

634 posts, read 1,164,748 times
If you are going to use the truck as a truck then the obvious choice is the F150 which is why they are everywhere.

The Ram is not a real truck, which is fine if you don't need to use a truck as a truck most of the time. I would choose it over the F150 just because the F150 is so bland and boring.

Old 11-04-2012, 06:41 AM

3,135 posts, read 11,885,624 times
8 speed isn't out yet for the HEMI, probably early next year.

Are you comparing the 3.6 Pentastar and 3.5 Ecoboost? Ecoboost wins, but if you are looking at the HEMI, go with that. The verdict is still out on the reliability of the Ecoboost. Definitely a lot of issues on the F150 forums.

18/25MPG (17/23 for 4x4) on a truck that can tow 6500k lbs isn't too shabby. I'd still wait for the 8 speed HEMI and get that. MPG should be around 16/22.

I personally like the looks of the Ram in and out over the F-150. I also believe Ram still has a longer warranty than Ford. The Ram boxes are cool too. I believe they and the tailgate now lock with the doors if I recall.

Old 11-04-2012, 07:58 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,909,338 times
All of that post and you never said what model or type truck, it makes a difference. AVOID the 3.6 Dodge unless you just like seeing the truck sit in the dealership waiting for parts, in particular, the heads. It's a major design defect. AVOID the Ecobust like it has AIDS. The Ford 3.7 V6, while a capable engine, requires a lot of RPM to get that advertised 300HP- it's a very busy engine as is the tranny to keep rpms up. The ONLY engine in a Ford worth having that has few issues is the 5.0. The 8 speed autos are grossly over hyped so don't put that into consideration. The cost of ownership for a Dodge is considerably higher than a Ford. Maintenance costs are higher. With a Dodge you will change tranny fluid every 30,000 miles or expect to change the tranny at 80,000 miles. Tune ups are frequent versus others. It's most likely going to come down to which you like better. I personally don't like the Dodge at all. It's cheap at best. Even sitting on the dealers lot it needs a muffler and what plastics there are on the truck, like headlight lens, don't last long. Just look at any of the Dodge trucks that are 5 years old, the plastics are done. And then there are the nagging electrical issues with a Dodge. They still have the same junction box on the firewall that is subject to corrosion and has been a major headache. The Dodges are and have been the thirstiest of all of the makers so expect less fuel mileage. But buy what ya like, you're the guy that has to drive it and make the payments.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:03 AM

152 posts, read 583,493 times
If you are going to use the truck as a truck then the obvious choice is the Ram which is why they are everywhere.

The furd is not a real truck, which is fine if you don't need to use a truck as a truck most of the time.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:00 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,909,338 times
Quote:
If you are going to use the truck as a truck
None of any of the half ton trucks are trucks anymore. They are open trunk, soccer mom, grocery getters.

Quote:
the obvious choice is the Ram which is why they are everywhere.
If this was correct you'd be seeing them on construction sites. Rarely will you see a Dodge truck at work. Cost of ownership is too high for most companies when they can buy a Ford or GM and cost them so much less to maintain not to mention dependability is so much higher. The reason you see a Dodge truck at all is because they are cheap to buy.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:11 AM

^ funny when you get out of the city and into cow country, rural America, you see DODGE cummins 2500 and 3500 everywhere and even on construction sites.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:13 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,236,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3700 View Post
^ funny when you get out of the city and into cow country, rural America, you see DODGE cummins 2500 and 3500 everywhere and even on construction sites.
Can you get a Diesel in a 1/2 ton, like the op is talking about? The Dodge 1/2 tons are junk. Honestly when I go out in to the country, I see more Power Strokes then anything else.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:19 AM

yes and trapper used the fraze construction sites.
few construction business use a 1/2 ton.
fords 1/2 tons are worse than dodge hands down.

Check out the increasing number of disappointed owners at Edmonds.com that Ford is abandoning them because their trucks are simply are breaking down and Ford will not stand behind them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Can you get a Diesel in a 1/2 ton, like the op is talking about? The Dodge 1/2 tons are junk. Honestly when I go out in to the country, I see more Power Strokes then anything else.
ps They all are looking at a diesel option for the 1/2 tons, but the EPA is standing in their way.

Passing through North Dakota, I saw an F-150 towing a 25' TT and a motorcycle trailer behind that. He was trying to keep it straight at 45mph,springs flat, white knuckle, death grip on the steering wheel.

Further west another F-150 was pulling a 250 P/S on a car trailer.

Neither driver looked like they were enjoying themselves.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:32 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,419,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post

I thought I saw something in the summer about Chrysler mulling over putting a diesel in the 1/2 ton, but it supposedly won't be a Cummins. Maybe the VM Motori ( does that sound right?), the ones they put in Cherokee's in Europe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram