Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 05:25 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,797,775 times

Advertisements

I am considering buying a regular cab, short bed 4x4 pickup for my weekend errands and home rehab business. I've narrowed it down to two models, a Ford F150 STX with 5.0L V8 or a Chevrolet Silverado 1500 with a 5.3L V8.

I'm looking for feedback on both pros/cons. I'm most interested in reliability and real-world mpg. I will be using it to tow but will not be exceeding 5000 lbs. The sticker mpg is 14/19 for the Ford and 16/22 for the Chevy in the models/engines I'm looking at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 07:09 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,914,437 times
If you are doing home improvement work you need to rethink the short bed. Looks good, works like crap. It's going to come down to which you like best. The GM will give you better gas mileage. My brothers extended cab Chevy 4x4 longbed with the 5.3 flex gives him 24 mpgs at 70 mph. That's better than my 4.6 Supercrew 2 wd at 70. I can get those numbers at 65 but not at 70 and it gets worse the faster I go. Neither are great 4x4 systems. Ford quit making decent 4x4 when they dropped the Bronco- now that's a piece of equipment for offroad. Obviously tires will make a difference. Bros Chevy has gotten stuck on flat dry ground in loose dirt that I pulled him out of with my Screw. That all changed with a change of tires. The factory originals were junk. I doubt the Ford comes with any serious off road tires. Both engines have a decent record for reliability although the Ford has had issues with oil burning in new engines. But a quart every 1500 miles isn't that bad. The 2015 5.0 is supposed to be a direct injected model making a lot more HP so if you think you wanted to wait... Insurance is going to be higher for the aluminum F150 in 2015, about 10% expected. But for a 2014 model, either will serve you probably longer than you want to drive it, properly maintained of course.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:33 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,684,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
I am considering buying a regular cab, short bed 4x4 pickup for my weekend errands and home rehab business. I've narrowed it down to two models, a Ford F150 STX with 5.0L V8 or a Chevrolet Silverado 1500 with a 5.3L V8.

I'm looking for feedback on both pros/cons. I'm most interested in reliability and real-world mpg. I will be using it to tow but will not be exceeding 5000 lbs. The sticker mpg is 14/19 for the Ford and 16/22 for the Chevy in the models/engines I'm looking at.
If you can wait, you could probably get a good deal on a 2014 F-150 when the newer body style comes out. Also, the 2014 Silverado engines are 1st year and may have some kinks that will need to be worked out. I'm a GM man for the most part but I would have to think this one over for a bit.

If you can find a 2013 Silverado or Sierra still, you could probably get a good deal on one of those as well. Those engines have proven themselves as well.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:37 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,466,506 times
I agree that neither pickup is well suited for hard off-road use. The combination of a relatively low-slung body along with the independent front suspension isn't great. Truck looks aren't important to me, but neither truck is very attractive, in my opinion. As for fuel economy, I suspect that the Chevy/GMC will give better real world fuel economy, but no gas V8 pickup is going to do outstanding--especially if a lot of stop-and-go driving or driving over 65 mph is involved.

Depending on how much towing you are going to do, I would look seriously at the Ram 1500 with the Pentastar V6. Up until the 2013 model, I would have not recommended the Ram 1500, but I'm fairly impressed with the latest versions. Even better would be the Ram 1500 with the 3.0 V6 Ecodiesel (towing problem solved with it), but its purchase price premium may not be worth it, unless you drive a lot of miles or tow a lot.

For really hard off-road use, any of the 1/2 ton pickups (except, say, a Ford Raptor, or the upcoming TRD Pro Tundra from Toyota) are going to need a suspension lift and taller tires--a minimum of a 3" lift. That will add $3,000-$5,000 to the price tag for the lift and bigger tires, as well as causing a reduction in fuel economy. If that kind of usage is on your horizon, it may be more cost effective to go with a 3/4 ton truck. For the record, I've been using pickups in that type of environment for over 40 years--I've figured out what works and what doesn't.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:11 PM

1,738 posts, read 3,006,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
If you are doing home improvement work you need to rethink the short bed. Looks good, works like crap. It's going to come down to which you like best. The GM will give you better gas mileage. My brothers extended cab Chevy 4x4 longbed with the 5.3 flex gives him 24 mpgs at 70 mph. That's better than my 4.6 Supercrew 2 wd at 70. I can get those numbers at 65 but not at 70 and it gets worse the faster I go. Neither are great 4x4 systems. Ford quit making decent 4x4 when they dropped the Bronco- now that's a piece of equipment for offroad. Obviously tires will make a difference. Bros Chevy has gotten stuck on flat dry ground in loose dirt that I pulled him out of with my Screw. That all changed with a change of tires. The factory originals were junk. I doubt the Ford comes with any serious off road tires. Both engines have a decent record for reliability although the Ford has had issues with oil burning in new engines. But a quart every 1500 miles isn't that bad. The 2015 5.0 is supposed to be a direct injected model making a lot more HP so if you think you wanted to wait... Insurance is going to be higher for the aluminum F150 in 2015, about 10% expected. But for a 2014 model, either will serve you probably longer than you want to drive it, properly maintained of course.
Yah right.

Unless your brother is magically defying the laws of physics (or he sucks at math and is calculating wrong), he's not getting 24.0 mpg.

Old 02-27-2014, 10:14 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,513,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post

Long bed. Way more useful. If you're into the I gotta look good get a short bed and drop the tailgate to load 4x8 sheets. Personally I don't care for IFS.
As for brand its preference IMO. I like Fords but anymore there isn't much difference between them. Performance, cargo and reliability is pretty even.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:47 PM

66 posts, read 102,730 times
Ford has better safety rating, gets slightly better real world MPG (slightly). I'd lean that way. I wouldn't rule out their 6 cylinder for light towing, either. MUCH better real world fuel economy and tows pretty good. the 5.0 is throaty but the torque curve sucks.

Long bed is great but annoying to park and it cannot fit in 99/100 American garages. RCSB's can.

Old 02-28-2014, 06:25 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,787,939 times
Pros: Chevy of GMC.

Cons: Ford.

Old 02-28-2014, 08:20 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,382,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by need4speed2012 View Post
Pros: Chevy of GMC.

Cons: Ford.
Let me school you.

Fords=contractors #1 choice for work trucks, can be found working.

Chevy-GMC= GM car guys who want to own a truck but will never buy Ford. Can be found at car shows or pretend off road shows.

Old 02-28-2014, 08:23 AM

5,341 posts, read 14,136,497 times
Chevy 5.3 is an oil burning dog. Go with the Ford or get a RAM with a HEMI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive