Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 12:23 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times

Advertisements

I haven't seen labor rates for auto service at $150. Here in Austin dealers typically charge $100-$125/hour. Independents a bit less.

But the point is still valid - why don't more people do their own car maintenance? I think it is just an example of what is happening over time. I'm half surprised that some people can change their own light bulbs (in their house). Americans are slowly but surely less and less self sufficient.

The funny thing to me is that some things, like changing oil, are easier than ever since it is so easy to recycle oil. All Walmarts recycle oil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 12:51 PM

838 posts, read 2,525,165 times
Even if one has the skills to do their own repair-work, there are quite a few tools required and shop equipment to be effective. I mean, it doesn't take $10k in tools to do most common repairs, but if one wants to step up into engine removal, clutch jobs and major overhauls, then there will be additional tools/equipment needed.

I put a 2 post lift in my 3rd bay and try to do all of my own repairs now. I figured with the labor I would have paid for someone else to do the repair, the cost of the lift is covered now.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:00 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,099,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by packer43064 View Post
I mean can't you just fix someone's car and it just be a friendly "friend to friend" type of thing which they happen to throw you $100 in your pocket when it is done?
Of course you can. (Shaking my head at all the illegal doom and gloom talk in here!)

Unless they've changed the federal tax law on this, you can make a net $400 a year as a "private contractor" without having to pay self employment tax, and thus, it's basically designed for the shadetree mechanics out there who do a couple oil or spark plug changes on the side without technically having a business, or any type of person that does a couple little jobs a year on the side.

Most people I know doing that go a bit above and beyond that though, probably about $3 or 4k or so. Advertising on craigslist for this kind of thing has made it easy for at home mechs to make some additional money. If they do it enough, then they have to pay taxes, apply for a business license, etc. But if it's kept small, then no, there is nothing illegal about it.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:13 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,099,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
But the point is still valid - why don't more people do their own car maintenance? I think it is just an example of what is happening over time. I'm half surprised that some people can change their own light bulbs (in their house). Americans are slowly but surely less and less self sufficient.

The funny thing to me is that some things, like changing oil, are easier than ever since it is so easy to recycle oil. All Walmarts recycle oil.
Not always... A lot of cars today have computerized maintenance schedules as to when an oil change is due, for example. If you change the oil yourself, but don't have the tool to plug into the OBD port to reset the service indicator, it'll keep giving you annoying service messages. In some cars, those messages are displayed at all times until removed.

It's also a question of time and money. If you have the time but little money, chances are you are more likely to work on things yourself. If you have little time but a lot of money, the opposite is true.

I spent most of this past weekend working on our cars... not because I wanted to, but because I couldn't find a competent shop that could do it all without screwing something up.

Three oil changes, spark plug change on the Cayenne, 4 new shocks on our Grand Cherokee, a sway bar install, and two new rotors and new brake pads.

Had to change the oil on the Jeep because the last time I took it somewhere, it leaked oil for the next 5k miles. It had never leaked oil before. Tightening down the drain plug a bit didn't help, found out they didn't put a crush washer on. The shocks, found out the previous owner had them replaced and they jerry rigged the rear passenger shock after they had broken the bolt and mounting tab for the rear suspension. I don't even want to know how much a shop would have charged me to fix that mess, so I welded it up myself.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:42 PM

2,775 posts, read 5,165,050 times
Let me present this from the other side:
- without some regulation any guy could try to run a car repair shop from his house in a residential area and I don't think neighbors would be thrilled with: noise, parked cars & auto parts on the grass, oil leaks, smell, etc
- without a proper business set up, there is no way one can get insurance
- and without insurance, most of us would not want a "mechanic" to inadvertently leave us hanging in a need of a new engine/transmission or worst (accident since breaks did not hold)

Sure many mechanics already moonlight for some of their friends/family, but the risk is obvious. If the newly installed timing belt/chain does not work well, there are higher expenses ahead.

Myself I would not even consider taking my vehicles to a "private" mechanic even for an oil change - what happens if he damages the threads on the oil plug? It happened to me a while back at a reputable dealer and they wanted me to pay for the "issue". I proved to them that I had all my oil changes with them, and only then they reluctantly agreed to not charge. Of course I never went back (due to their reluctance).
I also know of someone who had an oil change done at a private garage and ended up scrapping the car...not sure if there was a leak or they did not add enough/correct oil.

Last edited by 28173; 05-01-2013 at 01:57 PM..

Old 05-01-2013, 02:03 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
I mean can't you just fix someone's car and it just be a friendly "friend to friend" type of thing which they happen to throw you $100 in your pocket when it is done?
yes you can repair your buddies car in your driveway or garage, as long as you are not trying to do it as a business. that means you cant charge them for your labor, or make money on the parts you put in the vehicle. however if your buddy wants to freshen you up to $100 or so for doing him a favor, that is their business.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:04 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,562,687 times
Meh, those of us that have the skills would rather just charge you $150+.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:22 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,111,475 times
Quote:
With labor rates being $150 or more why don't we see more people fixing cars in their own garages and charging $75 or $50 for their own personal service.

I mean can't you get insurance ( in case their car falls on you/insurance so that your service is guaranteed) and schmooze up Johnson's (random last name) Simple Repairs or Johnson's Routine Maintenace as a business name for a license and start pumping out brake changes?

Of course you couldn't do everything, but some things like a tire rotation, brake change, fixing a burn out headlight, oil change is easy peasy. Some of these things are simply taking off bolts and nuts and putting a new part in. You don't have to charge $150 if your overhead is the $2 in lights you run for a few hours a day. Not saying you need to quit your day job, but I don't make anywhere near $50 an hour. A few bucks could be made.

My gf took her 2006 PT Cruiser to a local shop just to get it checked out. Well they wanted $1900 to fix all the things "wrong" with it. Most of it was labor. My dad fixes cars at their home. Not for money, but when your poor taking it to the shop isn't an option. Most of the things needing repair were the type that was easy to fix.

Do people do this?
Yup, $2 in lights...and $10,000 in tools, lift, garage space, insurance, and taxes.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:36 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,270,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evergraystate View Post
Meh, those of us that have the skills would rather just charge you $150+.
Actually the ones charging $150 are the ones with the capital to invest and business acumen. The ones with the skills are making $12-$14 an hour working for the guy who charges $150.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:58 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,562,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Actually the ones charging $150 are the ones with the capital to invest and business acumen. The ones with the skills are making $12-$14 an hour working for the guy who charges $150.
LOL maybe in Iowa. I wish I could find skilled mechanic labor around here $12-$14/hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive