Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 12:37 PM

2,618 posts, read 6,163,797 times

Advertisements

I am in Illinois. I have to renew my license plate sticker but have to pass an emissions test first. About 6 months ago my Check Engine light went on and I got a diagnostic. I was told I need to replace an O2 sensor. Parts and labor will run me $250. I put it off because he said it won't affect the car. Well my Check Engine light has been turned OFF and is not showing, despite that I haven't fixed the O2 sensor.

If I go for an emissions test, will I fail it? It costs me nothing so I supposed I could just go get it done and see, but thought I'd ask if there's a way around it if possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 12:40 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,250,516 times
Is if off or did the bulb just burn out? Do you have access to a code reader to see if its still there? If now swing by a parts store and have them check for you

Old 05-08-2013, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Is if off or did the bulb just burn out? Do you have access to a code reader to see if its still there? If now swing by a parts store and have them check for you
Good question. I have no idea. It used to be on but now it's no longer on, it's always off. There's a chance it's burned out. Should I just try and get the emissions done anyway? I don't have anything to lose in failing and it supposedly is really quick....

Old 05-08-2013, 12:58 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,273,013 times
Check the bulb by turning the key to the "on" position without starting the car. All of the "idiot lights" on the dash should come on, including the check engine light. If it doesn't, the bulb is likely toast.

It's not uncommon at all to get a "phantom" oxygen sensor code once in awhile. If the bulb is functioning then the computer apparently hasn't thrown the code since the shop checked it and reset the codes, so it should pass.

I don't see a downside to gong ahead with the emissions test unless a failing test would start the clock on a limited window of opportunity to get the car fixed and retested.

Old 05-08-2013, 01:05 PM

2,008 posts, read 4,725,152 times
Do you have access to an adjustable wrench? you should be able to do this yourself in about 10 minutes. then it'll only be roughly 150 dollars for the o2 sensor.

Old 05-08-2013, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
Do you have access to an adjustable wrench? you should be able to do this yourself in about 10 minutes. then it'll only be roughly 150 dollars for the o2 sensor.
Probably could get one. I'd have to order the part. It's a 2004 Hyundai Sonata. I don't know if those are tough to mess with on your own or not.

Old 05-08-2013, 04:55 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,046,980 times
First of all, there are two O2 Sensors on that Sonata. Do you know which one needs to be replaced?

Second, if you do have a bad O2 Sensor, it WILL effect the car, in that it will cause the engine to run too lean or too rich - either of which is not good.

Third, it is NOT true that you can just take an adjustable wrench and change either of them out in 10 minutes. That will NOT work. At best, you'll strip the shoulders of the old sensor, and have to pay extra to have it replaced.

That said, are you "out anything" if you take it in and it fails inspection? What's the worst that can happen? You find out you need to replace the O2 Sensor, which is where you are now?

Old 05-08-2013, 08:34 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Our inspections include only testing the gas cap and reading the codes. if there have been enough cycles to reset the light, and the condition no longer exists you could pass. On the other hand, there are codes that do not light the check engine but cause failures to pass emissions.

Old 05-09-2013, 07:17 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,725,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
First of all, there are two O2 Sensors on that Sonata. Do you know which one needs to be replaced?

Second, if you do have a bad O2 Sensor, it WILL effect the car, in that it will cause the engine to run too lean or too rich - either of which is not good.

Third, it is NOT true that you can just take an adjustable wrench and change either of them out in 10 minutes. That will NOT work. At best, you'll strip the shoulders of the old sensor, and have to pay extra to have it replaced.

That said, are you "out anything" if you take it in and it fails inspection? What's the worst that can happen? You find out you need to replace the O2 Sensor, which is where you are now?
Please tell me that you are implying that you can't take an 02 sensor off with anything other than an O2 sensor socket. I've removed plenty of O2 sensors with nothing other than an adjustable wrench...

For cars that have two O2 sensors the first one is the one that actually reads anything which would say that you have a bad O2 sensor. The second one is to make sure that your catalytic converter is working/in place. If that one goes they usually trip a different error code related to the CC not the O2 sensor.

Old 05-09-2013, 07:47 AM

2,341 posts, read 12,046,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
Please tell me that you are implying that you can't take an 02 sensor off with anything other than an O2 sensor socket. I've removed plenty of O2 sensors with nothing other than an adjustable wrench...
No, you haven't.

You may have gotten lucky once. Once...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive