Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 07:34 PM

133 posts, read 171,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
What year did "dual" braking systems start ?? IIRC, master cyl has 2 output lines. one to RF & LR wheels, other to LF & RR. So that any one line failure does not kill all braking.
1967 For the Ford Mustang anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 11:15 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
2 possible problems with OP's scenario:
1-Brake failure.
2-Brake fluid leaking onto hot exhaust system and causing a fire.

Old 05-11-2013, 07:13 AM

4,789 posts, read 14,740,681 times
The 3rd gen Dodge minivans are known for brake line corrosion. It happened to me and I had a brake line leak. It was slow and I drove it leaking to my trusted repair shop and they fixed it for $180.

Old 05-11-2013, 08:58 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,494,654 times
You may very well be ok... BUT, IF something does goes wrong, and someone did get hurt, since you came online and asked about it, and you clearly know the dangers, you would be royally phaqed.... js

Old 05-11-2013, 09:43 AM

15 posts, read 54,048 times
Ah yes. Nissans and their brakes and brake lines. Fine vehicles except when it comes to brakes and suspension. I had a Nissan Pathfinder thats lines rusted out on me while driving on the FDR in New York City. One of the worst places on earth to have your breaks go out on you. Luckily it was bumper to bumper traffic when it happened. After an hour and a half and numerous New Yorkers passing by to give me dirty looks or curse at me for making the traffic jam even worse, I got towed to the garage when they handed me the diagnosis of rusted out lines and the price tag attached. Long story short? I bought another vehicle.

Old 05-11-2013, 11:15 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,988,669 times
Back in '84, I drove my 71 Maverick with NO BRAKE FLUID IN THE MASTER CYLINDER home from work one night. Mine was a stick so I used the emergency brake and would kill the engine, put it in gear and feather the clutch pedal in and out. Worked like a charm. Better than the weed eater string accelerator cable that would chafe and break, usually when you needed across an intersection.

Old 05-11-2013, 02:50 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,153,320 times
Well I lived to tell the tale. Actually the shop I usually go to is closed on Saturdays so I went to another about five miles away. Very slowly and carefully in lower gears, mostly using the clutch to slow down....

One of the brake lines was replaced about three years ago; luckily that one went out in a Home Depot parking lot.
So that one didn't have to be replaced but they replaced the others for $295, which I didn't think was bad at all.
Four hours of labor, parts were nothing much.

Love my little truck but the rust here is eating it alive slowly. It's been a reliable little tank considering the age and miles (about 275K now) but I think Asian vehicles of that era were fairly notorious for being rust-prone.

Old 05-11-2013, 03:03 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,419,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Well I lived to tell the tale. Actually the shop I usually go to is closed on Saturdays so I went to another about five miles away. Very slowly and carefully in lower gears, mostly using the clutch to slow down....

One of the brake lines was replaced about three years ago; luckily that one went out in a Home Depot parking lot.
So that one didn't have to be replaced but they replaced the others for $295, which I didn't think was bad at all.
Four hours of labor, parts were nothing much.

Love my little truck but the rust here is eating it alive slowly. It's been a reliable little tank considering the age and miles (about 275K now) but I think Asian vehicles of that era were fairly notorious for being rust-prone.

Ahhhhh, Michigan. I feel your pain.

Old 05-11-2013, 03:07 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,153,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Ahhhhh, Michigan. I feel your pain.
:waves:
Doesn't all or most of the road salt used here come from Canada?
I bought the truck new when I lived in Colorado and for the first six years of its life it had not a speck of rust. Then I moved to Michigan...
It's no longer my primary vehicle but I was sort of looking forward to it getting to half a million miles; I've taken very good care of it. Unfortunately it's probably going to rust away long before that.

Old 05-11-2013, 03:53 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,419,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
:waves:
Doesn't all or most of the road salt used here come from Canada?
Not JUST Canada........

lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive