Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 04:46 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,563,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
Does the future of Fiat-Chrysler include Dodge?
Who cares? Dodge = rental car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 05:57 AM

2,168 posts, read 3,388,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
Drop in the bucket for Fiat. Like I said, Dodge has no value outside the US. Fiat is a global brand, and it's understandable that the company would prefer equity to be built under that name.

And it's not Mopar anymore, it's Magneti Marelli.

Sent from my LG Optimus G Pro using Tapatalk 2.
Problem is:

1) The US is still one of the largest car markets and the most competitive
2) Fiat still largely unknown in the US and has had a checkered past here for those who do remember

This would be like GM axing Opel in Germany or Holden in Australia and rebadging them as Chevrolets. The problem is that Chevrolet doesn't have the same appeal/recognition in those markets, just like Fiat doesn't have the same appeal/recognition in the US. I don't think Fiat would risk alienating customers from its largest volume brand in the US when sales have consistently been up 25% per year.

Old 06-14-2013, 06:45 AM

1,618 posts, read 2,625,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang84 View Post
Problem is:

1) The US is still one of the largest car markets and the most competitive
2) Fiat still largely unknown in the US and has had a checkered past here for those who do remember

This would be like GM axing Opel in Germany or Holden in Australia and rebadging them as Chevrolets. The problem is that Chevrolet doesn't have the same appeal/recognition in those markets, just like Fiat doesn't have the same appeal/recognition in the US. I don't think Fiat would risk alienating customers from its largest volume brand in the US when sales have consistently been up 25% per year.
Actually, it wouldn't be like that at all, there's no parallel there since no cars anywhere in the world are sold under the company's name of GM.

Fiat may not have a lot of appeal in the US, but right now neither does Dodge (you seriously think Dodge doesn't have a "checkered" past for most Americans? Hah!). When you're starting from that low a level, it's an easy choice, you go with the nameplate that gives you more economies of scale and costs less money. Fiat has a good rep everywhere else.

And there's a big push to "Fiat-ize" all the Chrysler dealers, including branding parts as Magneti Marelli. If Fiat becomes the volume brand, and SRT is already the performance/sport brand, then that leaves no room for Dodge. Notice also they haven't bothered designing an actual logo for Dodge.

Unless of course they're stupid enough to want 10-12 global brands like that shining example of a success story that GM is. Oh, wait...

Old 07-12-2013, 05:01 PM

2,168 posts, read 3,388,336 times
Well, we can finally put this rumor to bed:

Ralph Gilles responds to Dodge rumors, says brand is 'here to stay' - Autoblog

Old 07-12-2013, 05:08 PM

1,618 posts, read 2,625,580 times
What do you expect him to say? They're going to say that right up to the day they announce they're killing the brand.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:37 PM

3,046 posts, read 6,289,317 times
I have heard from inside source that even Plymouth may be coming back ! And that many other "old names" of models might be reappearing in the next 2-5 years.

Old 07-13-2013, 06:07 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,000,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evergraystate View Post
Who cares? Dodge = rental car.
Thank you for providing this thread with some much needed ignorance

Old 07-13-2013, 08:35 PM

17,624 posts, read 17,682,949 times
If they do keep Dodge, much of it's FWD product will be based upon FIAT platforms. Saw the Dart in person at the dealership and on the road. Overall body shape isn't bad but something is lacking in the nose. Also, it's fairly long and heavy for a compact sedan. And why 3 engine choices with none of them being a real performance option? The video game generation may enjoy the customizable dashboard display, but I'm not that young. Chrysler needs to separate itself from Dodge and go more upscale across the board. Currently, the two brands are too much alike in product and price. 300/Charger & 200/Avenger are perfect examples. I think the 200 should become a RWD sedan with different styling and shape. Give Dodge a new midsize FWD sedan using FIAT/Lancia platform and give it a new name. Base engine should be a new 2.4 or 2.5L that is smoother, faster, and less thirsty than the current 2.4L. Keep the current optional engine with some minor revisions. The Dart needs to be smaller and lighter. Forget about a sub or micro compact. FIAT got that segment right now.

Old 07-14-2013, 04:36 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
The only car that they build that I like is the Challenger. Not much interest in any other Dodge product out there. Maybe why sales are lacking. I would bet that others have the same feeling as I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive