Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 07:14 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,480,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
Where I live. It seems that speed bumps have become a fashion statement, the local council has gone crazy with the amount of speed bumps/humps that they've installed everywhere!

Now the problem is that 90% of the people don't even remotely slow down, they just go over them. I'm not stupid enough or that careless to do to do what they do, so i always slow down, go over the bump and then gradually speed up. The issue with that is the drivers behind me, usually women, become extremey pissed, they cut me off quite hard, tail gate me or beep their horn.

I've seriously had enough of these useless things, no one is slowing down, no one!!

What's wrong with everyone, seriously?
Dont take it the wrong way but if that many people are getting that angry with you over these speed bumps, then maybe you are going to slow over them?

There are some bumps that need slowing down for, some don't.

You say they are cutting you off hard? Are you gradually speeding up super slow where these people are passing you this aggressively? There is such a thing as accelerating to slow. I understand the MPG thing and just having to slow down again, but if there are people behind the lead car and the lead car is going excessively slow, that sometimes causes problems. I'm not saying they are in the right, but often, it goes both ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 07:16 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,725,152 times
Before I sold my car I had to take speed bumps at an angle. it had about 2 inches of ground clearance and a front lip wind splitter. If I went straight on at a speed bump I was scraping the frame.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:55 AM

164 posts, read 266,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
Where I live. It seems that speed bumps have become a fashion statement, the local council has gone crazy with the amount of speed bumps/humps that they've installed everywhere!

Now the problem is that 90% of the people don't even remotely slow down, they just go over them. I'm not stupid enough or that careless to do to do what they do, so i always slow down, go over the bump and then gradually speed up. The issue with that is the drivers behind me, usually women, become extremey pissed, they cut me off quite hard, tail gate me or beep their horn.

I've seriously had enough of these useless things, no one is slowing down, no one!!

What's wrong with everyone, seriously?
Did you read my mind? I drive a low sports car and always slow down enough to go over these without damaging my bumper and suspension. However, for some reason when I look in my rear view I see a damn woman riding my ass or sometimes I'm behind one and they don't slow down and go over it at 45mph. Seems to be a woman thing...the only time I notice guys doing it they are driving older vehicles.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:01 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,424,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Success3 View Post
Did you read my mind? I drive a low sports car and always slow down enough to go over these without damaging my bumper and suspension. However, for some reason when I look in my rear view I see a damn woman riding my ass or sometimes I'm behind one and they don't slow down and go over it at 45mph. Seems to be a woman thing...the only time I notice guys doing it they are driving older vehicles.
Not a woman thing here! Other than the Raptor, all our cars have extremely low clearance. If I'm not going very slow and at an angle, I'm going to scrape. I do, however, grin and bare it, when some idiot in a huge SUV beaches themselves, tire wise, because they are taking the bump too slow.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:12 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,716,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Success3 View Post
Guy here, driving a 2014, and I don't stop at speedbumps, especially the one coming on to my street - I can hit that one at 25 and it feels like a bump in the road. If I'm on my bike, I'll slow up a bit, but that's about it.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:21 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,818,588 times
I slow down and to heck with the people who don't like that. They're not paying for any damage caused, so they don't get a vote in what i do. I have a vehicle that will scrape on the hump if going too fast.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:08 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,761,938 times
In most cases I have found the speed bumps to be on the road in areas where the speed limit is about 25mph. I feel they arent meant to slow down for but so that you maintain the already slow speed limit. In fact if there wasnt a speed limit I would probably slow down to about 25mph or so to go over them. WIth that being said I never slow down and just maintain my speed. I also realized that the ride is much smoother if you maintain your speed, it actually hardly feels like you even drive over one. I have never found these speed bumps to be of any concern for scraping nor would I worry about scraping with most of the other cars people drive that I see slow down. I have a BMW, a VW, and a Ford..never had any problems, nor do I have any scrape marks. I avoid potholes...now they will cause damage.

Old 06-24-2013, 01:04 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,824,290 times
I drive as fast as the vehicle and particular speed bump will allow. Get an unlimited buggy or trophy truck and fly over them and RR tracks.

Old 06-24-2013, 01:33 PM

1,218 posts, read 3,471,789 times
I have to slow down to about 5 mph in order for my 370z to avoid scraping.. To hell with the idiots riding my ass

I also slow down when the road gets extremely rough, there's always a ton of construction on my street

Once the road gets smooth I leave em in my dust

Old 06-24-2013, 03:46 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post

Guess they figured it was too costly to have to keep replacing everyone's bumper.
Only if "everyone" has a Ferrari. If everyone does, I bet the HOA dues can afford the bumpers.

Personally, I love them. They are everywhere in Mexico (where Ferraris are pretty uncommon as street drivers), and are very, very effective at slowing traffic down in places where it needs to be slowed down. In Cancun (the city, not the beach strip), there is a heavy-duty tope about every block through the business district, so severe that every car has to come to a complete stop and creep over them. As a result, pedestrians crossing the street don't even have to look for traffic, just walk across at the speed hump, you KNOW the traffic is going to stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive