Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 12:27 PM

118 posts, read 190,619 times

Advertisements

Hey folks, I am moving to a place that has long, potentially harsh snowy winters. Normally I would purchase seperate winter tires (Blizzak, Nokian), however I am unable to store my summer tires anywhere so whatever tires I get will have to be on year-round. I will be driving in this climate for three winters and was under the impression that if I were to put Blizzaks or Nokian winter tires on they wouldn't last the 3 years so I am now looking at getting all season tires that also will work well for the long snowy winters. Any suggestions?
I drive a FWD SUV (Acadia)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 12:33 PM

1,151 posts, read 2,040,227 times
Some tire places might allow you to store your winter tires on site--for an additional fee, of course.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:43 PM

29,568 posts, read 14,720,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaineiac View Post
Some tire places might allow you to store your winter tires on site--for an additional fee, of course.
This, and how much room could 4 wheels and tires take ? Not too mention there is no comparison between "all season" and a dedicated winter tire. I never believed it (I had always driven 4wd trucks) until I purchased a little fwd econo box and had to drive it thru the winter.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:52 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,483,461 times
There really is no all season that is comparable to a good winter tire. If you will be driving daily on snowy/icy roads, you need a good winter tire. Safety is number one in those conditions. I personally would bite the bullet find someplace for the summer tires. Not sure how expensive your tires are, but renting out a small storage locker may be an option. Or if you have a friend or family member that would let you store in a garage or attic, even at a fee.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:57 PM

118 posts, read 190,619 times
I won't be in the U.S. and won't have a place to store them.

Old 06-28-2013, 01:10 PM

1,151 posts, read 2,040,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
This, and how much room could 4 wheels and tires take ? Not too mention there is no comparison between "all season" and a dedicated winter tire. I never believed it (I had always driven 4wd trucks) until I purchased a little fwd econo box and had to drive it thru the winter.
Funny, I came to that conclusion in the exact same way. My front-wheel drive econo-box with snow tires easily outhandles the 4x4 I used to drive without snow tires. I wonder how well that truck would have handled if I had put snow treads on it.

Old 06-28-2013, 01:13 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,699,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kassad View Post
Hey folks, I am moving to a place that has long, potentially harsh snowy winters. Normally I would purchase seperate winter tires (Blizzak, Nokian), however I am unable to store my summer tires anywhere so whatever tires I get will have to be on year-round. I will be driving in this climate for three winters and was under the impression that if I were to put Blizzaks or Nokian winter tires on they wouldn't last the 3 years so I am now looking at getting all season tires that also will work well for the long snowy winters. Any suggestions?
I drive a FWD SUV (Acadia)
Consider a set of premium all season tires and set of cable chains for the really harsh winters.

Old 06-28-2013, 02:35 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,078,185 times
Some jurisdictions (e,g, Quebec) legally require dedicated snow tires, and will not accept all-season as legal in winter. So check the law where you plan to plate your ride. In Michigan, I just drove on all-season tires, and never got stuck once.

Old 06-28-2013, 03:14 PM

892 posts, read 1,502,771 times
Get something like the BFG A/T tire (all terrain), and have one of the tire shops sipe the tires. It's still not as good as a true winter tire, but it's a decent compromise. The other option that I did for a while while living in northern Michigan was to run snow tires year-round. In that case I was running Nokian Hakkapelittas, and actually really liked them as they did excellent on wet pavement as well as dirt roads. Yes, they wore faster than an all season tire, but was worth it to me.

Old 06-28-2013, 06:10 PM

17,221 posts, read 57,146,495 times
Something to consider would be to buy a new set of Blizzaks at the beginning of winter, the snow tread should last the snow season, keep them on till next fall, if they are not completely used up you might be able to get some "trade in" value (not much) at the beginning of snow season. This would get you a better winter tire than any all-season. Consider that an all-season tire works OK in snow when the tread is good and deep, but once they are down to about half worn they don't grip in snow very well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive