Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 02:13 PM

1,567 posts, read 3,117,605 times

Advertisements

You're a reckless driver with a bad attitude. If there's justice in Mississippi, you'll lose your license.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 02:16 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,377,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
When did I ever say this wasn't my fault? I think you are confusing yourself and other people on here as the judge. I know how to address a judge, and the people on here lecturing me and telling me how stupid of a mistake I've made aren't contributing anything useful to my thread.
I agree with you man. Some are going overboard here. You never said you didnt deserve it, didnt do it, etc. Youre just wondering your options.

I hate when people complain about tickets and what not when they clearly broke the law. You haven't complained or said its unfair, again, just looking for options.

Speak to a lawyer. Also, since he didnt charge you with speeding I personally WOULD NOT admit you were speeding at all. It helps your case a bit. If you have a good driving record maybe you could get it dropped to like a "failure to obey traffic sign" since you didnt obey the no passing sign. Then maybe also take a defensive driving course if your state offers them.

All you can do is try, but at least you understand you may deserve and receive the violation you were given and be a bit smarter in the future.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Old 07-13-2013, 02:27 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,617,939 times
Quote:
Lectures and people telling me how I'm in the wrong is not what I'm here for.
That is the beauty of the internet and forums, you get both.
I am glad you do not drive in my state.

Old 07-13-2013, 03:13 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,675,395 times
Don't assume that speed won't be an issue. The officer may have noted your speed (among other things not on your copy of the citation) in his paperwork.

I'm guessing if you go all the way to trial you will lose, so begging the court or the prosecutor for mercy is your best avenue.

Go in and ask if there's a way to keep this off your record or have the charge reduced. Traffic school or deferred adjudication (probation) may be an option. It'll still cost you money, of course, but the long term impact can be reduced or eliminated if you handle it right.

And BTW, I think you could recklessly drive off a cliff, and given your attitude, we wouldn't care.

We WILL CARE A LOT if you take an innocent person out with you though.

THAT is what we're all so upset about.

SO DON'T PASS IN THE NO PASSING ZONE!

Old 07-13-2013, 03:23 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,377,654 times
I wonder how many people here criticizing have NEVER gone 20+ over the speed limit or any of the ton of other things you could do to get a wreckless driving ticket........

Id be lying if I saod Ive never topped out a few sports cars or sport bikes a time or two in the last 10 years. Few people are "perfect"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Old 07-13-2013, 03:28 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:
. Lectures and people telling me how I'm in the wrong is not what I'm here for. if you have no valuable input do myself and yourself a favor, save your time and don't post here.

What questions should I have for an attorney when I talk to one?
This is an open automotive forum where you'll get an earful of opinions from automotive enthusiasts,
if its legal advice you're after i really doubt you'll find much of it here.
perhaps a legal forum might prove more informative..

Old 07-13-2013, 03:29 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,951,875 times
Quote:
I think some people on here are missing the fact that this is a reckless driving ticket. I don't just call the court, pay it and be done with it. I have a summons to show up in court, I have to be there unless I hire an attorney who can arrange something different. paying it in my own and taking whatever the court gives me isn't really an option. Courts and attorneys exist for a reason.

If the resources are available to me to reduce this ticket or have it dismissed I would be a fool to not take advantage of it and just let this go on my record and insurance. I didn't come in and lost on here to be lectured, I can seeking advice. if you're just going to lecture me on how dangerous, stupid, or reckless I am just save it, your input isn't required. I know what happened, I know how "serious" it was.

Since this is my first time being charged with reckless driving all I want is for it to be reduced to speeding, or expunged completely. I will take whatever courses are available and pay whatever fines or costs I much to avoid this going on my record.

So far I haven't seen any good advice from anyone on here besides contact the courts and ask if they have a driver's program, and I very much doubt they'll be of much help to me. First thing Monday I will be contacting an attorney and explaining my situation to them, I came here to see if there is anything else I should be made aware of or do.
The best advice is to do what you're doing.

I think a decent attorney can, at worst, get it knocked down to a regular moving violation rather than reckless. While not ideal, the equivalent of a speeding ticket isn't that big of a deal. I got a speeding ticket about a month ago and I lived through it.

Beyond that, I don't know what advice people can give you, unless they have special knowledge of Mississippi law. Since laws differ in all 50 states, beware of people giving specific legal advice that may not apply to your state.

Best of luck in bargaining down your punishment.

Old 07-13-2013, 03:33 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,951,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
I feel badly for you, but honestly, not really.

I don't know how the traffic laws in Mississippi work, nor what you are obligated to. I don't know if you should hire an attorney, or just take what's handed down to you, pay the fine, and move on.

What I do know is that you did something really stupid, and highly illegal - something you SHOULD suffer consequences for! So regardless of what happens legally, I'd strongly suggest you start driving differently!

Good luck.
With a reckless driving ticket, I wouldn't recommend just paying the fine. He needs to know the consequences, how long it stays on his record, whether it will affect his ability to do things unrelated to driving, etc.

For a serious ticket like this, an attorney is a very good idea and well worth the money, IMO. We all know, or should know, that the traffic court system is something that can be manipulated. An attorney could get the charge reduced to a speeding ticket or something of that nature, that maybe carries a heavy fine but no worse consequences.

We don't know this guy or the circumstances of his ticket, so I don't think this is the place to pass judgment on him. Leave that to the court.

Old 07-13-2013, 03:36 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
First, stop looking for legal advice in an automotive forum. That is probably a good start.

Old 07-13-2013, 04:03 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Sounds like what is known here as passing in a no passing zone unless you actually cased other to avoid a crash. if so then defensive driving can help. If other than that you need a lawyer because its more serious. Here reckless driving means going from a class c misdemeanor to a class b misdemeanor which is more serious and a count court at law charge. C is fine only ;b is fine/jail time . Likely probation first offense on b plus fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive