Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 03:28 PM

2,573 posts, read 3,503,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhemi View Post

Just saying, I wasnt there, but I believe I know exactly what type of driver the exterra was. I see them from time to time out here and they pretty much make a bee line right for that fast lane. Is or was it possible to see that and have let off assuming that if he is not going to stop for 3 or 4 lanes, why would he stop for me?

I take your point but believe me like you I drive 75Miles one way to work as well 5 day a week so I know what kind of drivers you are talking about and I know how to get out of their way exactly and quickly. This guy was just merging on freeway and went directly into left lane. There was no time to judge him except that he's driving an Xterra which I know is good enough reason in itself. This guy saw the gap in front of my car and he thought he could just fill in there by speeding quickly. He didn't realize that he was probably 50 or even lower and left lane was close to 70MPH and that's why this situation happened. I did not leave the lane completely just enough so that we don't have a collision. Again I take your point about not making it a habbit and I don't do this as I keep safe distance from front car and hardly slam my brakes but if an as$hole jumps like this in front of you this works. I slowed down and moved a bit out of the lane onto the shoulder.

It looks like to me that in this kind of situation where there is no fault of yours you can still end up being on the receiving side like having a messed up car is not enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
One thing is for sure, if everyone would just allow more distance between cars fewer of these situations would happen.

If you read my post everyone was driving with safe distance between cars. On the contrary, if everyone was tailgating this situation would not have occurred.

Old 07-23-2013, 03:59 PM

Quote:
My last two accidents, I rear ended the cars, no offset, just straight on nailed them. Both of them were cited and at fault.

Also can you tell us about your last two accidents? How did you prove they were at fault?

Old 07-23-2013, 04:12 PM

36 posts, read 78,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I can hardly wait for the day that automatic driving is required for freeways.
Yeah cause automated systems are completely safe and never fail! I'm sorry, but I like to be in control of my vehicle.

Old 07-23-2013, 04:47 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,480,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_1976 View Post
Also can you tell us about your last two accidents? How did you prove they were at fault?
They both admitted not seeing me when they pulled out. Not sure how they didn't see a full size truck rolling down the highway! One guy ran the stop sign trying to beat the big rig behind me and just didn't see me. He didn't tell the cop that though.

Just having them admit they pulled out is all the police were looking for.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Old 07-23-2013, 04:47 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Quote:
I dont get what you are saying, you cant call the police for a report?

Of course you can. If both parties agree, no police have to be called in MD, and it doesnt matter how much property damage either. If one party wants the police to be called, then they get called. If in the OP's question, it would be safe to assume the offender would not be willing to accept fault.
Why are you arguing with me when you obviously are completely unfamiliar with Maryland law and traffic regs? It has absolutely nothing to do with both parties agreeing to anything. If you call for a police officer the very first thing you will be asked by the 911 operator is if anyone is hurt. If the answer to that is no, then you will be asked if the cars are driveable. If that answer is yes, you will be told to exchange driver information and leave. A police officer will not be dispatched to your location and an accident report will not be prepared. (The only exceptions to the above is if public property has been damaged in addition to the vehicles or if you suspect that the other driver is drunk or high.)

Maryland law specifically states that you must get your vehicles off the road asap unless one of the situations above is applicable. If you refuse to move your vehicle to wait for an officer (or if one happens to pass by), you can be ticketed for obstructing traffic.

Old 07-23-2013, 04:54 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,480,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Why are you arguing with me when you obviously are completely unfamiliar with Maryland law and traffic regs? It has absolutely nothing to do with both parties agreeing to anything. If you call for a police officer the very first thing you will be asked by the 911 operator is if anyone is hurt. If the answer to that is no, then you will be asked if the cars are driveable. If that answer is yes, you will be told to exchange driver information and leave. A police officer will not be dispatched to your location and an accident report will not be prepared. (The only exceptions to the above is if public property has been damaged in addition to the vehicles or if you suspect that the other driver is drunk or high.)

Maryland law specifically states that you must get your vehicles off the road asap unless one of the situations above is applicable. If you refuse to move your vehicle to wait for an officer (or if one happens to pass by), you can be ticketed for obstructing traffic.
Yeah, we have the same move wrecked vehicles law here.

I must be looking at a different Maryland because we review police reports all the time for non injury non public property damaged fender benders.

So you are also saying you are denied the police if requested? It may not be protocol to dispatch automatically but when requested, that's a different story.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Yeah, we have the same move wrecked vehicles law here.

I must be looking at a different Maryland because we review police reports all the time for non injury non public property damaged fender benders.

So you are also saying you are denied the police if requested? It may not be protocol to dispatch automatically but when requested, that's a different story.

I guess what he means is that police won't come if cars are drivable. You agree go back home, report and call your insurance. By the time culprit gets a call he would have figured out what to say. If police shows up rightaway chances are truth will be revealed or something closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive