Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 04:16 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,159,672 times

Advertisements

Backstory: It is quasi-rural where I live and there are a lot of feral cats. I trap those that I can and get them spay-neutered but still, kittens happen.

Yesterday morning I was about to get into my van to go to work and noticed a teensy kitten diving up under the van. Opened the hood and there were three teensy kittens there; they dived into the bowels of the engine and wedged themselves in. Flashlights, banging, sounding the horn and a spritz with the hose didn't dislodge them (I had a friend watching so we know they didn't leave the van's engine compartment.) We couldn't see them but we know they were there. Mama cat was being agitated by the trees but didn't come close.

So I left the hood open for the day and took my other van to work and yesterday evening we pretty well determined mama cat had taken the kittens away, so I moved the van to the other side of the property where cats don't go.

Having once had the unhappy experience of inadvertently killing a kitten that had gone up into the engine, this isn't something I want to repeat. And little wild kittens will wedge themselves into the tiniest of spaces and will NOT be dislodged by loud noises etc.

So my question is, does anyone know of a way to either prevent or dislodge cats or kittens from the engine compartment of a vehicle? I'm personally not open to suggestions that result in maimed, injured or dead felines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2013, 04:24 PM

423 posts, read 414,799 times
The kittens aren't actually IN the engine, they've obviously wedged themselves into the compartment in some manner.

The former would be impossible....assuming this van is an EFI vehicle. Two possible entrances only....up through the exhaust, only to be halted by the catalytic converter brick. Or....through the air intake, only to be stopped at the Mass Air Flow sensor.

Tried a broom to shoe them away?

Jack the van up, get underneath and "coax" them out. If they're feral, if you get close enough, they'll bail.

Oh...and if they're feral, wear protection as you probably already know.

Old 10-05-2013, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Diamond View Post
The kittens aren't actually IN the engine, they've obviously wedged themselves into the compartment in some manner.

The former would be impossible....assuming this van is an EFI vehicle. Two possible entrances only....up through the exhaust, only to be halted by the catalytic converter brick. Or....through the air intake, only to be stopped at the Mass Air Flow sensor.

Tried a broom to shoe them away?

Jack the van up, get underneath and "coax" them out. If they're feral, if you get close enough, they'll bail.

Oh...and if they're feral, wear protection as you probably already know.
I know, that's why I said "engine compartment" instead of "engine." They are tiny and flexible and can wedge themselves on top of exhaust or suspension components too.

Feral cats will only bail out if they feel their "safe place" is in jeopardy, and that takes a LOT when you have wild kittens in the engine compartment (or elsewhere under the van) of an (in this case 2003 Ford E-150 van.) They squish themselves into a tiny space and stay put.

Your asking whether using a broom to shoo them out tells me right there you've never had to deal with this problem in real life. A broom? Seriously?

Old 10-05-2013, 04:44 PM

423 posts, read 414,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
I know, that's why I said "engine compartment" instead of "engine." They are tiny and flexible and can wedge themselves on top of exhaust or suspension components too.

Feral cats will only bail out if they feel their "safe place" is in jeopardy, and that takes a LOT when you have wild kittens in the engine compartment (or elsewhere under the van) of an (in this case 2003 Ford E-150 van.) They squish themselves into a tiny space and stay put.

Your asking whether using a broom to shoo them out tells me right there you've never had to deal with this problem in real life. A broom? Seriously?
I apologize...didn't see the compartment in the subject line.

I didn't say to strike them with the broom....just to use it to make slight contact with them to maybe push them out.

Put some wet cat food on the ground and they'll come out when they get hungry.

Old 10-05-2013, 05:08 PM

Thanks...yah, they wedge themselves in there so tight that no amount of prodding or dislodging works! Once they're entrenched, they stay put because they know they're "invisible"....I was thinking maybe wasp spray or something but like I said I don't want to actually injure them.

The canned cat food idea is actually a good one; I did leave some food available for them and mama cat and that may have helped.

Old 10-05-2013, 05:17 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,698,363 times
Ugh, Chiroptera . . . you are aware of the "disaster" those little guys are able to create if you're not careful?

Not sure if this works on feral kittens, however, basic neighborhood cats dislike the smell of Fabreze. Try a good healthy spraying of Fabreze in and around the engine compartment to see if that discourages them.

Good Luck

Old 10-05-2013, 05:18 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,044,274 times
Growing up on a dairy farm, we had this happen occasionally. Not much to do about it, really. Regardless of how many times you chase them out of there, if your engine compartment is the warmest area around, they'll find it.

We tried to make a habit of honking the horn & making a lot of other noise that would scare them away. To the best of my knowledge, we only ever had one kitten/cat get hurt in the engine. Had no idea he was in there, and when I started the car he got his tail caught in the fan belt. Came barreling out of there pissed as all hell itself, but other than a crimped tail he was okay - and I doubt he ever crawled back up in there again...

Old 10-05-2013, 05:25 PM

Febreze...worth a try! Thanks Bummer.

GL - the one kitten that basically was vaporized in the engine last year required not only an engine cleaning at the car wash, but resulted in a rather distressing incident in my driveway...I was a farm kid too but sometimes find it hard to be pragmatic about such things.

Old 10-05-2013, 05:36 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,044,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Febreze...worth a try! Thanks Bummer.

GL - the one kitten that basically was vaporized in the engine last year required not only an engine cleaning at the car wash, but resulted in a rather distressing incident in my driveway...I was a farm kid too but sometimes find it hard to be pragmatic about such things.
Dang, we never had that happen!

The problem I can see with trying to "shoo them out" is the possibility of shooing them in so tightly that they cannot get out again. I really wouldn't want a kitten to die in any part of a vehicle, because he/she couldn't get out.

Old 10-05-2013, 05:43 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
I'm thinking a nice piece of fresh fish.

Of course they then expect it and keep showing up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive