Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 05:42 PM

17,314 posts, read 22,056,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
As I can find one WITHOUT some ridiculous aftermarket meat-head modification, then I'll consider it.
4x4 and manual trans with that particular Diesel are always good.

Loud pipes and a lift-kit requiring a ladder I've been seeing on many of these trucks just kills it for me.

2 part problem with mods:

1. 7.3's never put out big numbers and they lasted forever
2. Modded engines put out huge numbers and don't last long

Pick one!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2013, 08:46 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,107,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
2 part problem with mods:

1. 7.3's never put out big numbers and they lasted forever
2. Modded engines put out huge numbers and don't last long

Pick one!
That's an obvious choice right there considering the experience my stepdad had even with his non-turbo 7.3 before his accidental experience with coolant freeze.

I'm keeping an eye out and definitely stacking away the needed funds.
Don't know about everyone else, but the prices I've been seeing on '89-'97 models have been between $4,000 and $9,000.

Some are just 2WD with manual, the more expensive ones have either a Banks or are Powerstroke and have 4x4 with manual.

People are obviously always going to disregard any actual market value and high-ball it every time.
Some are easy to bring down, others act like a cat that got thrown in water.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:20 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,175,341 times
The 7.3L Powerstroke is always going to bring more money. It's well known to be a solid, long lasting motor that has great aftermarket support. The disaster that was the 6.0 diesel that came years after has also helped keep the value on this engine quite high since people are willing to go with older used trucks in good shape to pick up the 7.3 and avoid the 6.0.

Now, the IDI engines that preceded the Powerstroke are another story. You can still expect to pay some kind of premium for it being a diesel, but nowhere near what the Powerstrokes run. For starters, they're older trucks. Second, there is nowhere near the aftermarket support. Third, they're not much for power without the turbo, and unless you buy one that already has it installed or came from the factory (they did offer a factory turbo for a very short time), you're going to end up putting one on, or just living with it. That being said, they're great engines if you can find one that has been treated right and are a great way to cut your teeth on a diesel since everything is old school and stupid simple to understand. You also get the benefit of higher MPG and longevity versus the gasser options.

Mike

Old 08-10-2013, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
The 7.3L Powerstroke is always going to bring more money. It's well known to be a solid, long lasting motor that has great aftermarket support. The disaster that was the 6.0 diesel that came years after has also helped keep the value on this engine quite high since people are willing to go with older used trucks in good shape to pick up the 7.3 and avoid the 6.0.

Now, the IDI engines that preceded the Powerstroke are another story. You can still expect to pay some kind of premium for it being a diesel, but nowhere near what the Powerstrokes run. For starters, they're older trucks. Second, there is nowhere near the aftermarket support. Third, they're not much for power without the turbo, and unless you buy one that already has it installed or came from the factory (they did offer a factory turbo for a very short time), you're going to end up putting one on, or just living with it. That being said, they're great engines if you can find one that has been treated right and are a great way to cut your teeth on a diesel since everything is old school and stupid simple to understand. You also get the benefit of higher MPG and longevity versus the gasser options.

Mike
All that said, I'm not a lead-foot and I don't see myself hauling any seriously heavy-loads apart from my Jeep Liberty in an emergency.
Either way though, that's still some sound feedback and I just wish I saved up the money to make a flat-out purchase on one of those as opposed to this financing arrangement I slipped into.

On the brightside, I'll have a knowingly reliable motor-vehicle to rely on when needed.
Not to mention something to put a camper-deal onto if I decide to be even cheaper.

Old 08-20-2013, 09:05 AM

1,123 posts, read 3,111,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
That's an obvious choice right there considering the experience my stepdad had even with his non-turbo 7.3 before his accidental experience with coolant freeze.

I'm keeping an eye out and definitely stacking away the needed funds.
Don't know about everyone else, but the prices I've been seeing on '89-'97 models have been between $4,000 and $9,000.

Some are just 2WD with manual, the more expensive ones have either a Banks or are Powerstroke and have 4x4 with manual.

People are obviously always going to disregard any actual market value and high-ball it every time.
Some are easy to bring down, others act like a cat that got thrown in water.
Don't go near the IDI Diesels. I'm not sure which year they went Turbo (94 maybe?), but the extra few thousand for the Powerstroke is worth it. The Powerstroke 7.3 came in two body styles. The old style up to 97. In 97 they sold both the old style and new style. 98-02 is the new body style but still has the 7.3. So you have quite a range of years and bodies to look at.

I have a 1997, old-body style, white with two-tone green, 4x4 w/5-speed. That's the best year IMO

Also something to note, if you are getting an extended cab: in the old-body style, the rear seat folds down to the floor, then the backrest follows it down, making a nice flat floor for storage, dogs, etc. In the 98+ body, the seats merely fold up against the backrest, so you don't get nearly as much space back there.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:26 PM

194 posts, read 1,203,114 times
OBS Fords are great trucks. I have a 93 reg cab short bed 4x4 with the 5.0 and the AOD auto tranny. It is definitely a slug but with the overdrive off at highway speed its actually not that bad. I would definitely rather a 351 or a 300 with a 5 speed but in no way should you "avoid" the 302. It is very reliable just nothing special in the performance department. Keep stock size tires on it and any engine/tranny combo will serve you just fine. I am not a big Ford fan by any means but they made some very good trucks in this era at least in the sense of reliability and style.

Old 08-25-2013, 05:06 PM

Well, I caved and traded the troublesome Liberty for a '13 Chevy 1500 with the 4.3 V6, standard cab and a regular bed.
Decent pricing and pretty much all I need for what I do.

Had it for a week and it feels like it should, nice and comfy.
That and it's dawned on me that every Chevy person I know still has theirs and uses it.

Not a brand person, but I'm sticking with this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive