Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 11:11 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,481,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_1976 View Post
Give me a break with your BS again - I can drive fine with cellphone, I can tailgate OK....
I'm not saying me. I said there are plenty of PEOPLE who can just fine. As far as tailgating, I never follow to close to where I will hit somebody if they stop as fast as they can.

You don't know me, never been in or around a car or truck with me, how can you possible judge me? There is only one that can judge me, and it ain't you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 11:12 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,420,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
To answer your question...

Do speed limits cut down on people from speeding?
No, because there are always people who think that (a) the laws shouldn't apply to them and therefore don't and (b) that somehow THEY are a great enough driver (delusional in almost every case) that they can speed/text/talk on a cell phone/tailgate/insert stupid and illegal driving activity of your choice with no consequences to themselves or others and so, therefore, (a).

This kind of stupidity, sadly, will always be with us, Darwin notwithstanding.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:24 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,763,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
You are 100% correct. I have been saying this all along...holding a phone isnt the problem, its the conversation. Never understood how bluetooth is legal but holding the phone to talk is not. Now with bluetooth I have a free hand to hold a drink or eat a sandwich while I talk. Bluetooth allows me to multi-task even more while driving than I was when it was still legal to hold a cell phone and talk.
The conversation is not the problem. People have been conversing for decades. Having Bluetooth while talking keeps your eyes on the road. Problem is that most people don't take the time to learn the full abilities of the device. Most people revert to manual dialing, yet Bluetooth has the ability to do so. My smartphone sits in my glove compartment and my Bluetooth is paired to it 100%. I can voice dial, hang up, hold conversations, listen to VM's. I can take it a step further and use the locate function and then tell it to navigate to that location all by voice command. This is not a car that came with Bluetooth built-in. I use a wireless Bluetooth transceiver that uses my car speakers. My smartphone also carries all my music. So by voice command I can tell it either what album I want to hear or to shuffle and surprise me. If a phone call comes in, the caller ID lowers the music and states the number calling and I can either pick it up or immediately send it to VM.

And that's the problem with numerous people I've driven with. They manually dial and the manually hang up but converse with Bluetooth.

As to the OP, it doesn't seem that applying points to ones license does anything. Just keep on raising the fines as in NY/NJ and make no gray area and add one night (min 12 hrs) in jail for repeat offenders w/o bail in general population. The overnight visit to a prison should make a psychological dent. BTW, I've had a handsfree kit in my car(s) since the early 80's for cellphones. Never understood why one was never created for CBs.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:26 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,481,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
No, because there are always people who think that (a) the laws shouldn't apply to them and therefore don't and (b) that somehow THEY are a great enough driver (delusional in almost every case) that they can speed/text/talk on a cell phone/tailgate/insert stupid and illegal driving activity of your choice with no consequences to themselves or others and so, therefore, (a).

This kind of stupidity, sadly, will always be with us, Darwin notwithstanding.
And how many people get in accidents every day that were breaking no laws? TONS Stop making stuff up. Please, nobody is saying the laws dont apply to them. Nobody is saying they are great enough that they can do anything they want with no consequences. The only one is YOU saying all this about others and cant back it up worth a squat!

Most people can't drive and talk on the phone. Some can. Some people cant drive and not talk on the phone either. Some can and cant while speeding. Some can or can't while tailgating. See the common thing here, its PEOPLE. Some people are inherently bad drivers period.

What if my speeding allowed me to pass through a intersection a half second faster then they guy that just ran the light and we just missed? What if my tailgating caused you to slam on your brakes to get me to back off and all of a sudden a kid pops out and you missed them dealing with me? I know, its just hypothetical but the fact is driving by what the book says will not prevent anything. Its a stupid illusion that so many buy into.

I know better drivers who tailgate, text, and speed then many 10 and 2 speed limit, signal using, legal beagle's. Be as cautious as you want, you are still at risk by being hit by a speeder or non speeder. A texter or not texter.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:34 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,763,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
The conversation is not the problem. People have been conversing for decades. Having Bluetooth while talking keeps your eyes on the road. Problem is that most people don't take the time to learn the full abilities of the device. Most people revert to manual dialing, yet Bluetooth has the ability to do so. My smartphone sits in my glove compartment and my Bluetooth is paired to it 100%. I can voice dial, hang up, hold conversations, listen to VM's. I can take it a step further and use the locate function and then tell it to navigate to that location all by voice command. This is not a car that came with Bluetooth built-in. I use a wireless Bluetooth transceiver that uses my car speakers. My smartphone also carries all my music. So by voice command I can tell it either what album I want to hear or to shuffle and surprise me. If a phone call comes in, the caller ID lowers the music and states the number calling and I can either pick it up or immediately send it to VM.

And that's the problem with numerous people I've driven with. They manually dial and the manually hang up but converse with Bluetooth.

As to the OP, it doesn't seem that applying points to ones license does anything. Just keep on raising the fines as in NY/NJ and make no gray area and add one night (min 12 hrs) in jail for repeat offenders w/o bail in general population. The overnight visit to a prison should make a psychological dent. BTW, I've had a handsfree kit in my car(s) since the early 80's for cellphones. Never understood why one was never created for CBs.
I guess what im trying to say is that I cant get pulled over for holding a bottle of water in my hand with one hand on the wheel while using bluetooth but I will get pulled over for holding a cell phone to my ear with one hand on the wheel. My windows are always down and my arm is almost always propped up and I always only have one hand on the wheel and that wont get me pulled over.

The conversation is the distracting part..focusing on your voicemail and such takes your focus away from the road. It sounds like youd like voice activated windshield wipers, shifters, radios, windows, etc. All of these manual functions on a car wont get you pulled over...but even if I just had a cell phone in my hand and was not talking on it, I would still get pulled over.

Some people can drive 100% while talking, unfortunately there is a large number that cant and they are the ones that allow laws like this to be created in the first place.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:38 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
But that's not a law. That's a safeguard.
Wanna talk about laws?

seat belts
air bags
crash standards
airplane seats
emission controls
kids pajamas that don't burn like a 4th of July sparkler
Etc., etc., etc............................................... ...................

And these are bad because?

Old 08-15-2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:

Some people can drive 100% while talking, unfortunately there is a large number that cant and they are the ones that allow laws like this to be created in the first place.
What allows laws like this to be created is that AFAIK NO state considers driving a 'right', that being the case they can legislate it any way they please.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Wanna talk about laws?

seat belts
air bags
crash standards
airplane seats
emission controls
kids pajamas that don't burn like a 4th of July sparkler
Etc., etc., etc............................................... ...................

And these are bad because?
In my opinion...
seat belts- should be optional
air bags- should have the ability to turn them off like you can on the passenger side of some cars
crash standards- make em all steel like they did in the 50's..theres your crash standard
airplane seats- Yes, its better than sitting on the cargo floor of an aircraft...they get really cold
emissions control-ehh, dont really care about, just make it more expensive/pain in the butt to repair
kids pajamas-yes I agree because they are kids and as adults we buy those kids the pajamas

Not that they are bad things but we lived fine without them for many years...I think we can still live without them just fine.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:
In my opinion...
seat belts- should be optional
air bags- should have the ability to turn them off like you can on the passenger side of some cars
crash standards- make em all steel like they did in the 50's..theres your crash standard
airplane seats- Yes, its better than sitting on the cargo floor of an aircraft...they get really cold
emissions control-ehh, dont really care about, just make it more expensive/pain in the butt to repair
kids pajamas-yes I agree because they are kids and as adults we buy those kids the pajamas

Not that they are bad things but we lived fine without them for many years...I think we can still live without them just fine.
So how's the weather there in 1950?

Disappointed it still doesn't take a coupla days to go NY--LA?

And IF you're so big on living fine without things you should be fine with cell phones that don't work in cars, after all, "we lived fine without them for many years"eh? :rolleyes"

Old 08-15-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
So how's the weather there in 1950?

Disappointed it still doesn't take a coupla days to go NY--LA?
Its great..I can make my own decisions instead of them being forced upon me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive