Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 10:10 AM

2,349 posts, read 5,436,140 times

Advertisements

It sure seems like a lot of people are still using their cell phones while driving - almost as if the law(s) doesn't exist.

What's it going to take?

My suspicion is the problem won't go away unless technology is used to prevent it.

We've had drunk driving laws for 50+ years but that hasn't stopped it (social pressure has helped but there are still a lot of drunk drivers out there).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 10:16 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,480,173 times
Out here, its illegal to text and drive, but its not enforced.

There will always be distracted drivers and always will. As far as technology preventing it, that probably wont happen. There are emergency situations where you may need your phone.

Social pressure is somewhat effective. Maybe some public shaming to the violators is needed

Old 08-15-2013, 10:17 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
No, I don't think the laws have helped much, you can't legislate common sense. The technology to disable phones moving above a certain speed is relatively simple, that can be legislated.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:21 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,480,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
No, I don't think the laws have helped much, you can't legislate common sense. The technology to disable phones moving above a certain speed is relatively simple, that can be legislated.
And for those who use their phone for GPS? What if I'm getting followed by someone and need the police? What about my passengers phones? Wont ever happen. It would be just another piece of technology I would have to disable.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhemi View Post
And for those who use their phone for GPS? What if I'm getting followed by someone and need the police? What about my passengers phones? Wont ever happen. It would be just another piece of technology I would have to disable.
What if a loved one is put in a wheelchair because someone had such an important phone call they just couldn't wait? How will you feel then?

BTW, the "somebody's following me I need the police" scenario is easily solved with a '911' button on the phone.

Last edited by burdell; 08-15-2013 at 10:37 AM..

Old 08-15-2013, 10:34 AM

8,555 posts, read 10,981,308 times
This was my proposal in another thread concerning the same subject

"Texting while driving is illegal in many states, but without strict enforcement, the law is worthless.
After watching the video, I began to give this mobile phone business some serious thought, and I just may have hit on something.
I am so serious about this, that on Monday, I am going to contact Intel.
They are based in northern California.
Seeing as where enforcement is just about non-existent, there has to be another way to get people too stop using their phones while driving, and walking.
Not much is said about it, but many are hurt and injured every day while using their phone while walking.(especially in large cities where there are many people on the sidewalks.)
As I said, I have given this some thought, and here is what I propose.
First off, a government mandate that ALL mobile devices with a key board be banned from production, and banned from importing to this country.
A government mandated recall of ALL devices with a keyboard.
Government mandates have been around for years, (ie.) seat belts, air bags, crash proof, energy absorbing bumpers on vehicles, just to name a few.
Second, numbers only on All mobile devices, no letters.
We live in a digital world, so let's keep it that way.
Third, and this is the most stringent of them all(and the reason I am going to talk to someone at Intel).
I want to see if Intel, or some company, can come up with a chip that can be placed in all future mobile devices that will work just the opposite of a motion detector.
All motion detectors work on the principal of activating a device, be it a light, elevator door, etc., when ever something comes into the line of sight for the device.
My idea is to have a chip installed in mobile devices that will de-activate the device and lock it when it senses any motion, beyond the motion of picking up the device to use it.
If the device were placed on a car seat, it would sense the motion of the moving vehicle, and lock out of activation.
The same would hold true when walking with the device.
Movement of the body would place the device in lock down mode.
The only times the device would work would be when there is no movement, and this system would also apply to hands free systems already used in many vehicles.
I believe in this age of advanced technology, this chip could be made, and installed in ALL mobile devices.
To say this would cut down on the deaths and injuries by irresponsible users of these devices, would be an understatement.
Some will scream that it is "big brother" once again interfering in our daily lives, but perhaps it is something that needs to be done.
I am sure when safety devices were mandated for vehicles, there were those who screamed in outrage, and I fully expect there will be some of that same screaming with this proposal.
The object would be to stop people from using their mobile devices when it is dangerous to do so.
If it is going to save lives I say let's do it."
Bob.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:38 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,724,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
It sure seems like a lot of people are still using their cell phones while driving - almost as if the law(s) doesn't exist.

What's it going to take?

My suspicion is the problem won't go away unless technology is used to prevent it.

We've had drunk driving laws for 50+ years but that hasn't stopped it (social pressure has helped but there are still a lot of drunk drivers out there).
To answer your question...

Do speed limits cut down on people from speeding?

Old 08-15-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post

"Texting while driving is illegal in many states, but without strict enforcement, the law is worthless.
After watching the video, I began to give this mobile phone business some serious thought, and I just may have hit on something.
Seeing as where enforcement is just about non-existent, there has to be another way to get people too stop using their phones while driving, and walking.
Not much is said about it, but many are hurt and injured every day while using their phone while walking.(especially in large cities where there are many people on the sidewalks.)
First off, a government mandate that ALL mobile devices with a key board be banned from production, and banned from importing to this country.
Government mandates have been around for years, (ie.) seat belts, air bags, crash proof, energy absorbing bumpers on vehicles, just to name a few.
Third, and this is the most stringent of them all(and the reason I am going to talk to someone at Intel).
I want to see if Intel, or some company, can come up with a chip that can be placed in all future mobile devices that will work just the opposite of a motion detector.
All motion detectors work on the principal of activating a device, be it a light, elevator door, etc., when ever something comes into the line of sight for the device.
My idea is to have a chip installed in mobile devices that will de-activate the device and lock it when it senses any motion, beyond the motion of picking up the device to use it.
If the device were placed on a car seat, it would sense the motion of the moving vehicle, and lock out of activation.
The only times the device would work would be when there is no movement, and this system would also apply to hands free systems already used in many vehicles.
I believe in this age of advanced technology, this chip could be made, and installed in ALL mobile devices.
To say this would cut down on the deaths and injuries by irresponsible users of these devices, would be an understatement.
Some will scream that it is "big brother" once again interfering in our daily lives, but perhaps it is something that needs to be done.
I am sure when safety devices were mandated for vehicles, there were those who screamed in outrage, and I fully expect there will be some of that same screaming with this proposal.
The object would be to stop people from using their mobile devices when it is dangerous to do so.
Bob.
The technology's already there, phones have a GPS chip, no big deal to measure speed and disable the phone.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:40 AM

21,882 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
What if a loved one is put in a wheelchair because someone had such an important phone call they just couldn't wait? How will you feel then?
What if they were eating? What if they were putting on makeup? What if they were changing radio stations? What if they were distracted by their children in the back seat fighting? What if they were driving into the sun? What if they were tired? What if they didn't have any discernible distraction and just failed to react quick enough?

We've now outlawed cellphones, eating, makeup, radios, children, the sun, and driving.

The thing with cellphone laws is they're particularly stupid. Most studies that differentiate between holding a small plastic object in your hand and talking find that it's actually having the conversation on the phone that is distracting and not holding a small plastic object. But that isn't what cellphone laws target. It's completely legal to talk on the cellphone as long as you aren't holding a piece of plastic while you do so. You can duct tape it to the steering wheel, use a Bluetooth headset, hands-free function in the car, balance the phone on your knee and use speaker phone.

I do a lot of things that aren't the greatest idea. I drink coffee, eat lunch, use the phone for GPS and telephone calls. The one thing I won't do is email/text. If get an email/text, I might check it at a red light but if it requires anything beyond "yes" or "no" that I can send while stopped at the red light, I'll pull over to respond. Probably 80% of my emails require me to pull up a document on my phone and I'm sure as heck not going to try and navigate the web-based online repository, find the file, read the file, comprehend and retain what I'm reading long enough to email a response back while driving. That's just basic common sense.

The fact that it's completely legal to stare at my phone, browse around the online repository and find the document I'm looking for, read said document with enough attention to retain it all while driving, and only then pull over and turn the car off and email a response is besides the point. It's just stupid to do so, even if it is a completely legal method of doing it.

Last edited by Malloric; 08-15-2013 at 10:49 AM..

Old 08-15-2013, 10:41 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,724,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post

Bob.
I think your idea would be better suited to North Korea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive