Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 01:55 PM

1,922 posts, read 2,782,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novadhd5150 View Post
I was just wondering why big pick-ups are so popular paricularly in the South.
Most of these people tend to be dudes driving them mostly younger. I can understand if you needed to use them for utiliity often but majority of times I see the bed is empty.
From what I understand the MPG is horrible on those things.

Because a Prius is grossly incapable of towing my 6,000 lb. camper
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2013, 01:55 PM

29,606 posts, read 14,742,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
4WD is great for towing and pulling, nut just mud and snow ect.

Look at the new farm tractors, most of them have either 4WD or at least front wheel assist.

It evens out the power distribution.

But then there are the people who buy them just because they can afford them and it makes them feel cool because they saw a commercial. Who cares if they can't park it, or that it costs $150 per wheel for tires or they get half the gas mileage they should be getting. They saw it on TV.
Wish I could have found a deal on tires like that, try more like $250 a tire or more for a good set.

Old 09-06-2013, 03:47 PM

635 posts, read 786,452 times
Its a power thing. Most trucks ive seen are empty and don't have a scratch on them. At the first hint of a snowflake a truck well be the first spun out vehicle stuck in a ditch! Many men are trying to make up for a lack of something.
Unless you pull a big heavy trailer, they are a waste. And when you have a truck people assume you well help them move. We could save much oil if trucks were made commercial vehicles and all new ones ran on NG or diesel. Way to many trucks used as commuter vehicles at half the MPG of vehicles around them. Americans have some weird love affair with trucks. I drive a big rig by the way, for 25 years. Its size is for a working purpose.

Old 09-06-2013, 04:04 PM

251 posts, read 523,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapie9969 View Post
Its a power thing. Most trucks ive seen are empty and don't have a scratch on them. At the first hint of a snowflake a truck well be the first spun out vehicle stuck in a ditch! Many men are trying to make up for a lack of something.
Unless you pull a big heavy trailer, they are a waste.

Uh, right...

Posts like this remind me why these types of "forums" are often a waste of time.
One of my favorite vehicles in our personal fleet is the Chevy 2500HD 4X4. 380 hp turbodiesel, crew cab, loaded to the gills. Fundamentally about as luxurious as our Cadillac SRX. 7200 lb of muscle, comfort and all around practicality.

• 24-26 mpg highway mileage. 12-15 towing mileage.
  • Pulls my 25' Shamrock sportfishing boat, or my 20' enclosed race car trailer with ease.
  • Four wheel drive has been used often here in SoCal & NorCal. Unlike the rest of the country, we have mountains, beaches and desert to drive & tow on.
  • I try to keep it in immaculate condition, but alas, it does have a few scratches from being driven far afield.
  • Heated leather power seats. Auto climate control. Etc... A very well equipped vehicle.
  • Handles great in snow! Haven't spun out yet, and have pulled several lesser vehicles out with it's superior power & traction.
Yep, why would anyone buy a "big" truck...

Old 09-06-2013, 04:05 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,407,062 times
I am a small woman and I drive a large and noisy truck. Why? I haul plants, mulch, and other dirty items often. I also use it to tow stuff and use it to haul my husband's motorcycle on long distance trips. I used to drive a small sedan, but I "inherited" the truck when my husband wanted a new vehicle.

I do like that I can handle the traffic in Houston easily, as I felt scared driving my tiny Saturn sedan. No one hogs my lane and cuts me off. They see me coming and think I am a crazy redneck. I look like I should be driving a prius.

Old 09-06-2013, 04:43 PM

19,103 posts, read 27,696,540 times
Quote:
Most of these people tend to be dudes driving them mostly younger. I can understand if you needed to use them for utiliity often but majority of times I see the bed is empty.

Pure mojo things. Makes you feel harder between your legs. Bluntly put. That's the bottom line. You can top it with feeling safer, bigger, higher than anyone next to you, and so on. It all goes down to what I said. Mojo.

Old 09-06-2013, 06:20 PM

3,705 posts, read 4,867,277 times
One thing I can never understand about these forums is why does every thing one does have to be justified. So many claim people that own trucks and don't use them as trucks are compensating for a lack of something else. That has got to be one of the absolute dumbest thoughts I've heard. Can't people just drive what they like. Just because one owns a truck doesn't mean they have to use it for what it was so called intended for. And so what if it doesn't have scratches on it and is spotless. Just because it's a pick up does it need to be banged up, covered in mud and have a bed full of junk? I don't think so. Many people like to take care of their vehicles and whether it is a 100,000 dollar mercedes or a 30,000 dollar pick up---who cares.

I guess with this way of thinking, since I am married and have no kids I should drive a smart car. The back seat in even my fiesta is a waste because it is never used. And the trunk, well it's not much different then the bed of my truck, it's always empty. What a waste of money for both vehicles to rarely be used for their intended purpose. I guess all single people should only have motorcycles as well because why pay the money to have extra seating in your car that is never used. If you needed trunk space for a day you could always rent a car--it would be cheaper. I guess everybody is overcompensating for something they lack.

Better yet, next time I buy a car why don't I just got to the local car store and put an order in for a car for a married couple with no kids. All I'll need is the allotted 50 or so horsepower since there is only 2 of us. I guess I'll take whatever design and color they give me because if I chose something I like I may just be compensating for something I don't have. Or be accused of being a showoff. Or some kind of poser.

Old 09-06-2013, 06:35 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,063,976 times
Quote:
I have a full-size 4x4 truck. Basically stock. I don't put a lot of miles on it, because when I don't need it I don't drive it. However, when I need to plow snow, haul something, or tow something, it's irreplaceable.

That's all for me.

Old 09-06-2013, 06:40 PM

45,541 posts, read 60,783,308 times
Why do I own a F150 and why am I starting to think of getting another one even though I'm not a tradesman and the heaviest thing I carry is loads of mulch or manure, the occasional lumber or firewood or my goose decoys?

Because I can.

Old 09-06-2013, 06:43 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,464,803 times
My husband loves his Raptor. It goes off road rarely, but we use it to haul plants, mulch and dirt. It also pulls our car trailer and work trailer. It was a life saver when we moved across country and got us out of more than a few jams when outrunning hurricanes in Texas. But even if we didn't use it the way we do....he'd still prefer his Raptor over " most" cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive