Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 07:00 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,021,827 times

Advertisements

This subject seems to come up in various forms pretty regularly. I know I've posted than on the unrestricted sections of the autobahn I typically on observed a few vehicles going considerably faster than traffic...even when speed limits were removed people drove around 90 mph, maybe 100...those who were really moving might have been doing 110 mph, then you'd see the occasional porsche or mercedes that would zip by faster than that.

I took the volkswagen up to 130 or so for several minutes just to see how the car felt at that speed, and it was more than competent, and incredibly stable. The typical speed found on the Autobahn was also around 130/Kph which equals about 85 mph...and for anyone who's gone on a road trip, 85 mph really isn't that far from the 80 mph that many drivers are doing already.

It's sad that interstate speeds were actually higher 60 years ago than they are now. Maybe the difference then was that the local governments didn't realize how much money they could raise by artificially lowering the speed limits, then upping enforcement to ensure tickets were a major source of revenue....maybe if governments could live within their means, this wouldn't be a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 08:57 PM

3,026 posts, read 3,648,651 times
I believe that speed limits were capped at 55 mph after the 1973 oil crisis as a means of saving energy. It has taken some areas longer than others to increase the speed limits after the law was overturned.

Old 09-12-2013, 09:34 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,014,195 times
Only 15% of fatal accident in which speed is a factor occur on interstate highways. 85% occur on two-lane roads, which suggest to me that maybe speed limits are too high on 2-lane roads, or (much more likely) enforcement is too heavily concentrated on interstates.

Old 09-13-2013, 01:04 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,035,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Utah recently increased some speed limits to 80mph after a trial 'test' period. If found the following article on the subject quite interesting:

Studies found that average speeds there increased only by 2 mph — from 83 to 85 mph. Accidents actually decreased in one test zone by 11 percent, and by 20 percent in the other. No speed-related fatalities have occurred in either area during the test.

"There also was a 20 percent reduction in drivers exceeding the speed limit," UDOT Deputy Director Carlos Braceras told the Legislature’s Transportation Interim Committee. He said the higher limit essentially just legalized how fast drivers were already traveling.

Utah

I think that there is a reality that the vast majority of drivers are not that comfortable driving at over 85mph and that might explain why increasing the limit had a minimal effect on average speeds. I thought it was also interesting that accidents decreased. Perhaps drivers were more attentive to the road and spent less time looking for speed traps.
Exactly, most people drive the speed limit they are comfortable with. Which for most people will be about 85 max. I drove all across Montana during Reasonable and Prudent. I drove 90 - 100 mph. But except for maybe two cars on the interstate that were driving wide open in excess of 100 mph, and a handful other of cars traveling 90 - 95 mph, nobody else was driving as fast as I was, even without the speed limit. I'd say from what I saw, that 90% of drivers were traveling 85 mph or less, 95% were driving 90 mph or less, 99.9% were driving 95 mph or less.

You could post a 85 mph speed limit, or you could post a 100 mph speed limit, the vast majority of people would be driving under 85 mph either way.

I do find it kind of interesting that historically Montana and Nevada were the last two states to impose speed limits on their residents. But now Texas and Utah are leading the way to increase speed limits.

Old 09-13-2013, 05:18 AM

792 posts, read 2,875,249 times
I find driving 55 out West or in Texas annoying, but in the East it's relaxing. I just cruise along and let the idiots fight amongst themselves to gain maybe 100 feet on a crowded road.

Old 09-13-2013, 05:24 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,324,388 times
In my area, most drivers (for some odd reason) aren't comfortable going faster than 50 mph. I think this also has to do with my area is very family-friendly, so you see a lot of Suburbans and mini-vans.

I think that you're more aware of what's going on when you're going faster. Personally, I'm comfortable with 80 mph. I have to be careful, super-speeder tickets in GA are 75 mph for roads and 85 mph for highways.

Old 09-13-2013, 06:29 AM

2,778 posts, read 5,168,549 times
Going faster is very much dependent of what one drives.
Of course an old vehicle not properly maintained will shake and vibrate at higher speeds, hard to be comfortable.
On the other hand, most US and Japanese vehicles even when new, they are not designed for high speeds.
German vehicles are designed to run at over 100MPH speeds (Autobahn) so less vibration.

This alone will explain why the German ones have the "solid built" feeling and drivability that is unmatched. You get what you pay for.

Old 09-13-2013, 07:07 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,625,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
I think that there is a reality that the vast majority of drivers are not that comfortable driving at over 85mph and that might explain why increasing the limit had a minimal effect on average speeds. I thought it was also interesting that accidents decreased. Perhaps drivers were more attentive to the road and spent less time looking for speed traps.

When speed limits are set based on measured 85th percentile measured vehicle speeds, there will be only a small number of vehicles exceeding the limit.

When speed limits are underposted, nearly every vehicle will be exceeding the limit.

Old 09-13-2013, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacierx View Post
I believe that speed limits were capped at 55 mph after the 1973 oil crisis as a means of saving energy. It has taken some areas longer than others to increase the speed limits after the law was overturned.

The speed limit in Ontario is still a laughable 100 km/hr.

Old 09-13-2013, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
It's sad that interstate speeds were actually higher 60 years ago than they are now. Maybe the difference then was that the local governments didn't realize how much money they could raise by artificially lowering the speed limits, then upping enforcement to ensure tickets were a major source of revenue....maybe if governments could live within their means, this wouldn't be a problem.

Speed limits on 2 lane roads were also higher in most states 60 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive