Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does parking in a parking lot
I assume dings are the price of being in a public lot 16 26.67%
I don't assume dings are the price of being in a public lot 44 73.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 09:07 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,435,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
I forgot to mention the beauty of small claims court. If I sue you, and you don't show up, the court makes a summary judgment against you. I win automatically.

If nothing else, your door ding takes up an afternoon of your time in court. And, potentially costs you a small amount of money. Is it worth it to you to risk that?
risk what?

If someone threatens me in a parking lot, accuses me of something. . .regardless of my fault. . .

there is very little risk to me.

IF he goes to small claims court

IF I show up, and fight it. I would counter sue for the 1 day of bought vacation i had to use. . (above $300 bucks. . based on annual sallary)

I could lose. . or I could win, risk goes both way. Wouldn't that be the $ITCH if you not only lost the ding damages due to lack of evidence, but I won my wages from you for the days work lost.

. . .

So far no one has posted they have tried small claims, nor recovered anything. I think yours is a pipe dream, not a real possibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 09:41 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,224,222 times
This is why I park out in the boonies of the lot, I am guaranteed instant parking availability and don't have to deal with jack@sses like our illustrious OP.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:41 AM

2,223 posts, read 3,877,135 times
You are correct, it is little risk. But the risk is outsized as compared to the ease of avoiding it. And, you get to be a decent human being while avoiding the risk too. Pretty good deal.

With little effort I find evidence of people going to small claims court:
door ding in parking lot - Lawyers.com Community

I am certain others can be found, but feel I have expended enough effort in providing you with a free education in why being an asswhole doesn't ALWAYS pay.

Old 09-17-2013, 10:04 AM

17,314 posts, read 22,056,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
risk what?

If someone threatens me in a parking lot, accuses me of something. . .regardless of my fault. . .
there is very little risk to me.

IF he goes to small claims court

IF I show up, and fight it. I would counter sue for the 1 day of bought vacation i had to use. . (above $300 bucks. . based on annual sallary)

I could lose. . or I could win, risk goes both way. Wouldn't that be the $ITCH if you not only lost the ding damages due to lack of evidence, but I won my wages from you for the days work lost.

So far no one has posted they have tried small claims, nor recovered anything. I think yours is a pipe dream, not a real possibility.
Actually if you win you can recover your legal fees not your lost wages......

Ever consider your "just a ding" attitude may affect others differently? After all what harm could come from throwing a burrito out the window?

Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy (4/8) Movie CLIP - Ron Thrashes a Chopper (2004) HD - YouTube

Old 09-17-2013, 11:55 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
One time I was sitting in my car in a department store parking lot, texting to my husband, when someone pulled up next to me and their kid in the back seat kicked their door open, and it slammed into my car. I got out and confronted the driver because he hadn't even corrected the kid. I looked down and there was a deep dent in my car that directly lined up with the point of his still-open car door. I pointed it out to him, and he shrugged and said, "That's life," then shut his door and started walking away.

So I got in my backseat and kicked my car door into his and left a pretty dent in his car too.

That's when it got interesting ;-)

Old 09-17-2013, 11:59 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,736,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
One time I was sitting in my car in a department store parking lot, texting to my husband, when someone pulled up next to me and their kid in the back seat kicked their door open, and it slammed into my car. I got out and confronted the driver because he hadn't even corrected the kid. I looked down and there was a deep dent in my car that directly lined up with the point of his still-open car door. I pointed it out to him, and he shrugged and said, "That's life," then shut his door and started walking away.

So I got in my backseat and kicked my car door into his and left a pretty dent in his car too.

Love this!!! street justice!!!

----------

Somebody backed into my while I was a grocery store. I was irritated, but my car was old so I was like, "ehhh, glad it happened to me than that 2012 elantra over there." I had an old 86 volvo at the time so it must have loosened up some of my bumper brackets. When I was driving down the highway, my whole bumper fell off. LOL! Six months later, when state safety inspections rolled around, I finally fixed it.

Old 09-17-2013, 12:01 PM

455 posts, read 598,479 times
Quote:

Come on. Don't leave us hanging. What happened next?

Old 09-17-2013, 12:27 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWarty View Post
Come on. Don't leave us hanging. What happened next?
Well, me being a lady and all, we didn't come to blows or anything.

But obviously, the guy heard me do it, and he came back, yelling "What are you doing!!!" and I said, "That's life, remember? Now we're even." He said he was going to call the cops, and I said I was happy to wait, but then he just stood there while I got pictures of his license plate and the dent in my car, lined up with his car. I even offered to take pictures of his dent, lined up with my car.

I was like, "Look, your kid dented my car pretty good, ok, that's not just a ding, and it's gonna cost me about $100 for Dent Tricks to fix it. We could have discussed you paying me that instead, but you weren't interested. So now you're out that same $100, and I taught your kid a little lesson on opening car doors more carefully."

Then he called me a crazy fncking b!!tch and stomped off. He was right about that part though. LOL

Old 09-17-2013, 12:37 PM
lgt

469 posts, read 1,342,435 times
Quote:
it's gonna cost me about $100 for Dent Tricks to fix it. We could have discussed you paying me that instead, but you weren't interested. So now you're out that same $100,

Sounds fair to me

Old 09-17-2013, 12:40 PM

455 posts, read 598,479 times
Quote:
Well, me being a lady and all, we didn't come to blows or anything.

But obviously, the guy heard me do it, and he came back, yelling "What are you doing!!!" and I said, "That's life, remember? Now we're even." He said he was going to call the cops, and I said I was happy to wait, but then he just stood there while I got pictures of his license plate and the dent in my car, lined up with his car. I even offered to take pictures of his dent, lined up with my car.

I was like, "Look, your kid dented my car pretty good, ok, that's not just a ding, and it's gonna cost me about $100 for Dent Tricks to fix it. We could have discussed you paying me that instead, but you weren't interested. So now you're out that same $100, and I taught your kid a little lesson on opening car doors more carefully."

Then he called me a crazy fncking b!!tch and stomped off. He was right about that part though. LOL
Nicely done
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive