Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 09:56 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,069,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robhu View Post
They went the same way as real chrome, 2 and 3 tone paint schemes, vinyl tops and color coordinated interiors.
IT'S CHEAPER TO BUILD.
Today's cars look much the same from a distance. They have no manufacturer distinction. Pretty much the interiors are down to the same basic colors as is the outside. There is no distinction or individual personality. They are cookie cutter cars with many parts subcontracted out to the same company that makes steering wheels, dashes, etc.
But as long as todays high tech society gets their play doodles to fool with they are happy to pay very big prices for the newest gadgets to distract them while driving. Who cares how dull and drab the vehicle is in comparison to how good and different cars use to look.
I highly doubt that todays 18, 19, and 20 inch factory wheels are cheaper to build than yesteryears tiny 13, 14 and 15 inchers. Cars are better in terms of build quality today than they have ever been. They look a ton better as well! Material quality (including plastics) and panel gaps have improved drastically.

I don't subscribe to the old fogey mentality. Cars today are generally better than they were in the past and the cars that will come down the pipeline in the coming decades will be better than what we have now (if long term trends are anything to go by).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 10:42 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,193,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
I highly doubt that todays 18, 19, and 20 inch factory wheels are cheaper to build than yesteryears tiny 13, 14 and 15 inchers. Cars are better in terms of build quality today than they have ever been. They look a ton better as well! Material quality (including plastics) and panel gaps have improved drastically.

I don't subscribe to the old fogey mentality. Cars today are generally better than they were in the past and the cars that will come down the pipeline in the coming decades will be better than what we have now (if long term trends are anything to go by).
I agree. They are incredibly safer, too. Corvairs and Pintos were rolling death traps.

I have never had WWs on any car I've ever owned, but then, again, my idea of a beautiful vehicle is a Subaru Forester rolling over the snowbank left by the snowplow at the bottom of my driveway or a Ford F-150 hauling a horse trailer.

Old 10-08-2013, 11:14 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,445,137 times
Folks are lazy. I used to clean my Dads white wall tires on his Caddie every week till they sparkled. Plenty of holes in pants etc from chemicals. Todays kids are too lazy to do any chores and parents under 50 are just as bad.

Old 10-08-2013, 01:01 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
OK... here's a picture of my 1905 Oldsmobile...

How's them for whitewalls?
Attached Thumbnails
Why did white wall tires disappear?-whitewalls.jpg  

Old 10-08-2013, 01:39 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times
Quote:

Well, tastes do vary but when a Buick looks like a Toyota, I don't see how the cars of today look "better" than the classic cars. For me, it's definitely the opposite. I find the vast majority of modern cars to be ugly, with the "blob" and "egg-shaped" and "plastic-bubble" look, while many or most of the '60s cars had their own unique styling. For example, compare the '68/'69 Dodge Charger with the new version. Or a '69 Dart GTS 340 with the new "Dart." Many well-styled cars back then, Buick Riviera, any Cadillac!, Pontiac GTO, Camaro, Firebird, Mustang, Olds 4-4-2, Pontiac Grand Prix, etc.

I also prefer the large amount of metal and chrome in the old/older cars. They can't make them like that anymore... too expensive and would make the cars too heavy.

I am curious to see how the new cars will hold up in 20, 30 and 40 years.

Last edited by Fleet; 10-08-2013 at 01:48 PM..

Old 10-08-2013, 01:48 PM

626 posts, read 1,347,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post

I am curious to see how the new cars will hold up in 20, 30 and 40 years.

They wont be around to see... just like microwaves, refrigerators, and washing machines, things are no longer built to last for years.

Ive got whitewalls on my car (older Buick), theyre about 1" thick and Goodyear is always trying to put the white to the inside or sell me blackwalls. As long as you keep them clean, some cars do look better with the whitewalls...and well, many classic cars just wouldnt look the same without the wide whitewalls.

Old 10-08-2013, 01:59 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,888,561 times
I have no like for wheels larger than 15". My truck came standard with them as did most before manufacturers started with the bigger ones. Tires cost more as a result. Consumers don't realize that when they are standing agog looking at their dream vehicle through misty eyes. They just want to sign on the dotted line and drive out. Tires won't be a concern until the stock ones fade and they freak out over $200 tires.

Fashion comes and goes as with everything. What color were refrigerators in the 50s-60s? 70s-80s? Stainless seems to be vogue now but that will change again.

Why are there roughly 5 exterior colors for cars these days. My least favorite is Road Surface Gray. It blends with the road and you can miss them in traffic, especially at dusk or in the rain.

Vinyl roofs were the pits in car design IMO. That guy should have driven a vinyl car.

Old 10-08-2013, 02:01 PM

708 posts, read 1,059,489 times
What I like about the white wall,excuse me, white stripe tire,aside from looks was all you had to clean was the stripe and the whole car looked clean,lol.

Old 10-08-2013, 02:26 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,671,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Much too long. I stopped reading after your first paragraph , so I have no idea what you said.

I know what you're saying about the wall of text--not everybody is a stylish writer--but this poster, coming from an auto dealing family, offers a wealth of insight, and oftentimes hilarious opinions. Give her a try some time, and don't forget that if you have nothing nice to say, it's sometimes better to say nothing.

Old 10-08-2013, 02:56 PM

1,618 posts, read 2,623,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robhu View Post
They went the same way as real chrome, 2 and 3 tone paint schemes, vinyl tops and color coordinated interiors.
IT'S CHEAPER TO BUILD.
Today's cars look much the same from a distance. They have no manufacturer distinction. Pretty much the interiors are down to the same basic colors as is the outside. There is no distinction or individual personality. They are cookie cutter cars with many parts subcontracted out to the same company that makes steering wheels, dashes, etc.
But as long as todays high tech society gets their play doodles to fool with they are happy to pay very big prices for the newest gadgets to distract them while driving. Who cares how dull and drab the vehicle is in comparison to how good and different cars use to look.
Clearly you don't know much about modern cars, nor do you pay much attention to them. The difference between a Toyota, a Kia, and a Ford is huge.

Quote:
[color=black][font=Verdana]I highly doubt that todays 18, 19, and 20 inch factory wheels are cheaper to build than yesteryears tiny 13, 14 and 15 inchers. Cars are better in terms of build quality today than they have ever been. They look a ton better as well! Material quality (including plastics) and panel gaps have improved drastically.
The entire reason for whitewalls was to save money, originally. Rubber used to be white, as some have pointed out, because of the zinc oxide added to increase traction. At the time, tires didn't last long, and someone came up with the idea of adding carbon black to add longevity, but to save money, they only added it in the tread area where the wear actually happens.

Eventually tire construction and processes changed and carbon black got cheaper. And people realized whitewalls were a pain and larger rims were a much better decorative statement, while also leaving room for larger brakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive