Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 09:18 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,422,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtgmike View Post
Late 90's TJ Jeep. They are just so much more evolved vehicles vs CJ/YJ.

Do not settle for a 4 cylinder. They are gutless.

I agree. My current Jeep only has a 4cyl and it just doesn't have the get-up-and-go the way my 1980 straight six did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2013, 09:58 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,651,119 times
Definitely a TJ Wrangler. I recently sold this bad boy for $11k. You could easily find a nice lifted TJ for under $10k. It was my fun car and I ended up driving it more than my daily driver. Top down, off-road perfection!

Old 10-10-2013, 10:28 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,836,099 times
My folks have owned a CJ7 since I was a little kid. Man, I hated that car as a kid, but I had no idea just how bad it was to drive. It was an i6 auto.

They sure look cool and I bet they are great off road, but I would never ever want to drive one on the road.

Old 10-10-2013, 10:37 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,534,379 times
This is sort of something we are tossing around too. Either by leasing something or by buying something with a budget close to yours. Thinking of leasing a Mini or buying a Wrangler. We also would want to commute with our toy over the summer.

Old 10-10-2013, 11:11 AM

3,703 posts, read 4,855,219 times
My choice would definitely be an early bronco---if I could find one rust free and in good shape for that price. I like the scouts as well. If you want to go bigger, the early blazers had the whole top removable. I've had the later broncos, and though the 78/79 are among my favorite vehicles, only the rear portion of the top comes off so that might not work for you. A wrangler would be a good choice as well and may be easier to find a nice one because there will be many more available.

I've heard others mentioning power problems with the 4 banger jeeps. I'll add to that. With the aerodynamics of a brick, the 4 cyl doesn't have any highway go. Mine did great driving up and down dirt mountain roads in Costa Rica but I was only using 1st or second and sometimes low range. It was low speed driving in which gearing took over. Highway driving sucked on it and the MPG's weren't much better then a full sized bronco. I got about 15 on the jeep with a 4 cyl (brick).

Cruising speed wasn't an issue, it was getting up to speed and/or passing that was hard. Especially if an 18 wheeler was beside me or I had a head wind. Before shipping it to CR I lived in S. FL and drove to and from MD a bunch. Going around an 18 wheeler was a chore. I finally determined that the only way I could get around a tractor trailer was to eventually get close on it's tail (which I don't like) and then whip around it as the air that would pull me close to it would have enough "pull" to let me get around it. And I'm talking slow moving trucks doing about 55/60 in the 65/70 of 95 and the FL turnpike at the time. If a truck was going just a tad under the limit it would take miles before I could get around it and I would **** off anyone behind me. The 4 banger just couldn't do it.

Old 10-10-2013, 11:30 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,726,002 times
Open Air? Check!
Good gas mileage? Check!
Room for kids and a dog? Check!

Old 10-10-2013, 01:45 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,426,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoasting View Post
I'm in the market for something fun, a third car to throw the kids and the dog into for short drives, tailgating, coffee run and just plain cruising around in. I'm leaning towards a convertible of some sort.

Budget: 8-10K

I'm leaning towards an old jeep, possible an early 70s Jeepster Commando

Throw me some suggestions!
Jeeps would be better if you like camping/off roading

Old 10-10-2013, 03:03 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,317,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
Open Air? Check!
Good gas mileage? Check!
Room for kids and a dog? Check!
If I thought for a minute my wife would let me I'd go with one of the two wheel drive Russian made Ural motorcycles with a sidecar!

But to be honest I'm not irresponsible enough.

Old 10-10-2013, 07:19 PM

119 posts, read 410,453 times
You people are a trip with the photos... I too would go with the Jeep, as far as "fun" and "different" goes. Or what are those California things called with two giant wheels that look like a mutated scooter that cops use because they think it makes them look cool...

Old 10-11-2013, 04:24 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,762,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Looks like Henry Hill's car in GoodFellas! This was the first year for the "new body" Coupe De Ville, nice looking car!

Don't get too excited about that 425c.i. motor, it probably puts out about 180 hp! The late 70's was a terrible time for HP.....

I think it's 210 HP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive