Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2013, 10:08 AM

1 posts, read 10,322 times

Advertisements

I go to college on the east coast, my family lives on the west coast. I am buying my own car this summer. I will be on the west coast all summer, and returning there every summer. My parents will pay for me to drive from the west coast to the east coast. thats not what I'm asking... i just want to know if the cars on the west coast are in better condition then the ones on the east coast. My dad tends to think so, but my mom doesn't. I want to drive across the country with my brother and friend so I'm all for that, but which cars are better? Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 10:26 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,238,155 times
Cars are only going to be in as good of condition as the people that own them. Certain areas of the county have to deal with different factors , like road salt, or salt in the air or extreme amounts of direct sun. If the person that owns the car took care of it, it doesn't matter where it is purchased

Old 11-05-2013, 10:32 AM

1,420 posts, read 3,183,914 times
Rubber wears out in hotter dryer weather. Rust is more common in damp, salted road environment.

People in the midwest are probably a little less likely to buy imported nameplates (even though everything is now pretty much both imported and domestic. Fords are made out of the US and Toyotas are made in Tennessee.)

Old 11-05-2013, 10:36 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,508,131 times
Generally speaking the finish of California cars "can" be better. Unless you live in the Sierra Nevada they're not exposed to road salt/sand or extremes of temperatures. I went to Iowa with an ancient 1977 Toyota Celica and the people I met there were stunned that it had zero rust. They told me that if that were an Iowa car it would have disintegrated years earlier from the road salt and severe weather. There are tons of old "cream puff" cars on our roads owned by people who really aren't car enthusiasts or collectors - its just they hold up better here.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:38 AM

3,483 posts, read 9,012,857 times
East Coast fear would be potential flood damaged used cars that might show up on the market from hurricanes. Check the Carfax, but that will only cover problems reported to the company, and not damage that was never reported to insurance. And don't purchase a vehicle immediately following a major hurricane/disaster on the East Coast.

You'll likely find a high concentration of convertibles on the West Coast (depending on area) and a high concentration of Diesel Volkswagens on the East Coast...or Subarus...these are immediate stereotypes I'm placing, and in no way representative of what you'll actually find on the market.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:41 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,217,219 times
On average there are less rusting problems with west coast cars because they have less salt to deal with. However it is not uncommon for east coasters (mostly north east) to have winter-only vehicles and keep the, what they consider to be, nicer vehicles off the road (read: low mileage, good condition). Even a rust belter who properly washes their vehicle throughout the winter can completely prevent rusting, but it does take effort.

One thing I have noticed is that east coast, particularly north east, cars tend to have very good rubber and paint (where not rusted) throughout the life of the vehicle. Just less weathered in general, again assuming there is no rust. Less UV and an optimal humidex contribute to that.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:43 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,162,494 times
If all else is equal, cars from warm non coastal climates should be preferable to cars driven in snowy areas with salt or coastal areas.

But it matters more how the cars were taken care of by the previous owner (or owners). The older a car, the more likely road salt will cause rust. Today's vehicles have much better rust protection than they used to, but it is still an issue to pay attention to. Rubber does deteriorate more in heat, but I think the difference is not great. I drive a 16 year old Acura, kept in a carport, not a garage, and most of the rubber parts except tires are original and in good shape.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:18 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,831,265 times
Generally, yes, the cars on the West coast are in better condition body wise than the ones back East. They may tend to have more miles on them because in places like California people think nothing of going on an hour or more trip to go to work or anywhere. But those are highway miles.

We lived in So Cal for a while and were amazed at how clean the older cars were compared to Pa. When we moved back to Pa we took a mint 1970 Caddy Sedan DeVille back with us and we would come out of a store and see a crowd standing around it. People in Pa had never seen a car that old that clean and rustfree.

Don

Old 11-05-2013, 01:13 PM

9,131 posts, read 20,000,438 times
There is all kinds of weather conditions on the east and west coasts. We are talking Southern Cal to Seattle, Miami to northern Maine.

To give a decent answer, more specifics on particular city, area, or region would be needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive